Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so here I go.
1. Several times I have encountered "Critical error" on my Paperwhite, usually after having left it for some weeks. Resetting (as suggested) wakes it up, with all my content intact, but my folders/collections are gone. And I have to rebuild them. Any advice here? Any other way to solve the "critical error"?
2. On my device I have a magazine series that I cannot remove or delete. Nor from my Amazon.com page. The only option I find when I click the three dots, is "Download latest issue". Any hints?
3. Most of the book covers are very bleak and hard to read, no matter how I adjust the light. Is this normal?

Hope it's OK with my three-in-one, and thanks in advance.

· Super Moderator
74,503 Posts
Welcome, ole .... let's see if I can help:

OK, so here I go.
1. Several times I have encountered "Critical error" on my Paperwhite, usually after having left it for some weeks. Resetting (as suggested) wakes it up, with all my content intact, but my folders/collections are gone. And I have to rebuild them. Any advice here? Any other way to solve the "critical error"?
I have NEVER seen that on any of my kindles, even if they get nearly completely discharged. But it's true that I almost never leave any of my kindles unused for more than a couple of days. It doesn't seem right, however so, if you're still within the warranty period -- generally a year -- you might contact customer service and request a replacement.

Are the folders/collections really gone -- or just now longer downloaded? Are you restarting or resetting -- restarting is less invasive in that it keeps all your settings. Reset generally removes all your content and settings and you have to re-initiate the device with your Amazon log in credentials. So before a Reset, I'd try a restart. BUT if you have to keep doing resests, it does sound like there's an issue with the device.

2. On my device I have a magazine series that I cannot remove or delete. Nor from my Amazon.com page. The only option I find when I click the three dots, is "Download latest issue". Any hints?
I have seen this happen ... some old copies of newspapers or something. It's an annoying glitch. Probably the only way to get 'em gone is to do a restart. And sometimes that won't work. A reset might but, as noted above, that's going to wipe everything.

Do pay attention to whether you're seeing downloaded or all content. If it only shows in All, it's more easily ignored.
3. Most of the book covers are very bleak and hard to read, no matter how I adjust the light. Is this normal?
That's down to the individual books I'd say. I don't have any trouble myself, but you may do better in list view vs grid view. Grid only shows the book covers so if they're not well designed for the black and white eInk screen, you might have trouble reading them. List view, though, shows a smaller cover image and then the title of the book.

Hope it's OK with my three-in-one, and thanks in advance.
No problem ..... hope I was helpful. Others may chime in as will with their thoughts!

· Registered
26,617 Posts
I own three PaperWhites - PW2, PW3, PW4 - and am currently only using the PW3 so the other two sit unused and I have never had a Critical Error pop up on those. I agree with Ann that you may have a defective one and should contact Amazon Customer Service on that.

I don't use the Collections feature nor magazine subscriptions so can't comment on those issues.

Not sure what the cover issue is about, but from having posted several thousand Kindle books on this site, I have noticed that the resolution on the covers posted on the Amazon pages vary in resolution and quality. Some appear to have been a very low resolution image that was magnified way too much causing blurring of the image.
Also, some colors will not look good in just black and white.

If you use Calibre, you can input your books into that program and search for better covers, save the cover to the book and then import the edited book back into your Kindle. I've had to do that several times either because the original cover was of low quality or I wanted the old 1960's - '80's paperback cover to be used for the Kindle version.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts