Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With what I've read here on the boards about how long Amazon takes to price match, I was  :eek: to come home from my Superbowl party tonight and realize that Edge of Shadows was showing as free- just three weeks after making the change on SW.

It actually still hasn't filtered through to B&N. It went free on iTunes almost right away, so I'm assuming that's what Amazon price matched against. I've even had 20 DLs already. Not a bad way to end the weekend!

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
I've had the full gamut of freebie response-times. I've had books price-matched to zero off Smashwords only, after making them free for a mere two days. I've had books that I've reported to Amazon for every single day for six months and STILL had to give up on ever having them free.

I've just made book 1 of my trilogy free on Smashwords--like, 5 minutes ago--and I'll keep it free at least until I finish my next novel.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I seem to recall it took them about three weeks to price match mine as well. Good luck with the perma-free strategy. It's a difficult beast to conquer; I still haven't figured out how to do it. I hope you'll come back and let us know if you uncover the mystery and have great results with it.  ;)

·
Registered
817 Posts
The only thing consistent about Amazon's price matching is its inconsistency. Glad it worked out for you, Cege!

·
Registered
851 Posts
The Accident at 13th and Jefferson - Book 1 only went permafree on Amazon about three weeks ago.  Does Amazon eventually price match itself on the other countries' sites automatically or do you have to pester them to do it?  It would seem like something that should be automatic.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
RobertJCrane said:
The only thing consistent about Amazon's price matching is its inconsistency. Glad it worked out for you, Cege!
This. It's never taken longer than a week for me, but I know some people who it took 6 months for.

I'll hit the 1-week mark on Tuesday, so I hope it goes free by then!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
My first perma free took a month -- the day it went up on BN.

I am waiting on two now. They have been free on iTunes/Smash/Kobo for a while -- one two weeks, the other three weeks. Neither are on BN. Both have been reported numerous times.

Meh.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deanna- that's why I was so surprised. I assumed that it would only trigger with the change at B&N. The only place it is free is iTunes and SW. (I went direct with Kobo for that title, and honestly forgot to make the change there.)

Robert's assessment appears to be accurate.  :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Interesting that SW's price worked. I'd heard Amazon doesn't match to them, but maybe they realized that SW is the gateway to B&N, Kobo, iTunes, etc. and if it's free on SW, it'll be free elsewhere.

I've only managed to get a short story perma-free, although every month Amazon UK puts it back to paid for a week and I have to bombard them with links to other sites where it's free. GRRR.

I plan to do the same with my novel, once its sequel is published (in March) since the freebie tends to turn about 10 percent of downloaders into buyers of the next book.

Amazon Canada so far hasn't price matched anyone that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I suspect it has to do with how well the book or author is selling. I think the bots check certain books more often than others. I'm not convinced that reporting does a thing as last time I had over 100 people report the free, which was ignored until BN had it free.

·
Registered
709 Posts
That's great! When I price-matched a book, I think it took about three weeks, so that does seem the norm, although I decided to price-match another title on January 28th, and it already price-matched it. :eek: I was shocked to say the least. I think it helps to have it free not only at Smashwords but Kobo and iTunes for Amazon to make the switch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts