Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that I sign up for waiting lists on several books at my public library, thinking one should become available shortly.  Then, after a 2-week dry spell, suddenly several become available all at once.  Anyone else having this problem?  I hate passing them up when they become available, but there are only so many I can read in the maximum 14-day period before I go back to another dry spell.  Frustrating!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
It happens to my daughter and I all the time. She has went months witout anything to read and out of the blue she had 20 books waiting on her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
There are two ways around this.

One is to download them to your Kindle and turn Whispernet off until you've finished the books. They then won't be automatically deleted after 14 days (until you turn Whispernet back on).

Or you can download library books to your computer and sideload them to your Kindle (again with Whispernet off if and when the due date is over) when ready to read them. If you put them on your computer, you have more flexibility about deciding when to read a book vs. having Whispernet access. Also, if you're reading one overdue book while another becomes available, you can download it to the computer (so not losing your download window after waiting for so long) without losing the overdue book that you might be reading.

It sounds a bit messy, but it's not if you're used to sideloading books from your computer.

I always "return" the downloaded book using Manage Your Kindloe as soon as I confirm by file size that the book has successfully transferred to the computer. That makes it almost immediately available for the next person on the waiting list.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,460 Posts
A third way is to not have so many books on hold at once.  :D  That's what I do.  I had the same problem, and didn't want to have to think about it too hard, so I just periodically go on to the library system and put, at max, four or five books on hold.  Then, I do a search for library books and check "available now" and get a couple of those for immediate reading.  There's always something.  Plus I have an immense TBR pile....

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
A third way is to not have so many books on hold at once. :D That's what I do. I had the same problem, and didn't want to have to think about it too hard, so I just periodically go on to the library system and put, at max, four or five books on hold. Then, I do a search for library books and check "available now" and get a couple of those for immediate reading. There's always something. Plus I have an immense TBR pile....

Betsy
My library system already has a maximum hold queue of 5. Nevertheless, it always seems that 3-4 of the epic books that you've been waiting for for months come available at the same time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,255 Posts
Murphy's law. Never fails.  :D. I have resorted to putting library books on my K3 and not turn wifi on. My library also gives me 21 days. But yeah, sometimes they all come up on one week, even if some of the wait list where a lot longer than others.
Good to have a couple of kindles in the house.  :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,460 Posts
GBear said:
My library system already has a maximum hold queue of 5. Nevertheless, it always seems that 3-4 of the epic books that you've been waiting for for months come available at the same time!
I think my library has 10 holds. But yes, they do seem to come all at once. If I'm not ready, I just get back in line...but then, as I say, I have lots of TBR... I have done the "turning off wireless" a couple of times. As Atunah says, good to have more than one Kindle in the house.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GBear said:
There are two ways around this.

One is to download them to your Kindle and turn Whispernet off until you've finished the books. They then won't be automatically deleted after 14 days (until you turn Whispernet back on).

Or you can download library books to your computer and sideload them to your Kindle (again with Whispernet off if and when the due date is over) when ready to read them. If you put them on your computer, you have more flexibility about deciding when to read a book vs. having Whispernet access. Also, if you're reading one overdue book while another becomes available, you can download it to the computer (so not losing your download window after waiting for so long) without losing the overdue book that you might be reading.

It sounds a bit messy, but it's not if you're used to sideloading books from your computer.

I always "return" the downloaded book using Manage Your Kindloe as soon as I confirm by file size that the book has successfully transferred to the computer. That makes it almost immediately available for the next person on the waiting list.
I have been hoarding the library books on my Kindle by not turning on Whispernet, but that has set me back several weeks on my New Yorker magazines! :(

I'm not sure I understand how downloading to my computer can help. My computer is always connected to wifi. Doesn't the book expire on my computer? Or am I as technically challenged as I often suspect I am?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
fancynancy said:
I'm not sure I understand how downloading to my computer can help. My computer is always connected to wifi. Doesn't the book expire on my computer? Or am I as technically challenged as I often suspect I am?
No the books don't expire on your computer, or at least Amazon's reach doesn't extend to your computer and they won't be deleted. So you can actually use the ability to download the library books to the computer ("Transfer via USB" option) to initially collect the books on your computer. You can "hoard them" there and transfer them to your Kindle when ready to read them. That way you only need to turn off Whispernet when you actually have one of the books on your Kindle for reading.

I discovered this when the publishers forced some books to only be available via download and USB in an apparent effort make the process more cumbersome and therefore discourage readers from using the Kindle library! It turns out that I now use this method all the time. I don't bother deleting the books from my computer when finished, so I'm sort of building up a library on my computer of all the books I've checked out, probably well over a hundred by now. I don't re-read them except in the rare instance of a series where I want to go back and check something in an earlier book, but I think this definitely is not what those publishers had in mind when they tinkered with the download model!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,460 Posts
GBear said:
I don't bother deleting the books from my computer when finished, so I'm sort of building up a library on my computer of all the books I've checked out, probably well over a hundred by now. I don't re-read them except in the rare instance of a series where I want to go back and check something in an earlier book, but I think this definitely is not what those publishers had in mind when they tinkered with the download model!
Definitely not, and not what the library intends either. Sorry to be harsh, but this, in my mind, is no different than pirating. You do not have the right to keep the book indefinitely, just because you can. You do not own the license to the book. My .02 worth, which I'm sure won't change your mind.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,209 Posts
Yep.  I pretty much quit using library e-books for that reason.  Super long waits for 99% of things I'd want to read, and I'd always have a couple things come off at the same time, or when I'd just started a long book.

I don't like leaving whispernet off as I also read on my iPhone (and sometimes iPad) and thus use the Whispersync.  Sideloading for computer is an option I guess, but not worth the hassle.

So I just stick to buying ebooks now, and just skip things that are priced too high.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Definitely not, and not what the library intends either. Sorry to be harsh, but this, in my mind, is no different than pirating. You do not have the right to keep the book indefinitely, just because you can. You do not own the license to the book. My .02 worth, which I'm sure won't change your mind.

Betsy
I think I agree with you, Betsy, as I can't make any counterarguments that don't echo piracy rationalization. But I mostly haven't deleted the read books from my computer because they're mixed in with all the other purchased books and downloaded samples which are in my "Books" folder that represents my backed-up Kindle. So there they remain - I wouldn't feel any loss if the books I've read disappeared.

As for the unread library books where the loan has expired - no, I don't feel guilty about keeping them long enough to read them. Even if it does violate the license, I'm borrowing them to read them once and that's what I'm doing. My understanding is that the library purchases the rights to loan the book out a certain number of times, and I suppose I feel that it's right for each one of those loans to result in that book being read, even if it takes longer than the allotted time to do so.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,460 Posts
GBear said:
I think I agree with you, Betsy, as I can't make any counterarguments that don't echo piracy rationalization. But I mostly haven't deleted the read books from my computer because they're mixed in with all the other purchased books and downloaded samples which are in my "Books" folder that represents my backed-up Kindle. So there they remain - I wouldn't feel any loss if the books I've read disappeared.

As for the unread library books where the loan has expired - no, I don't feel guilty about keeping them long enough to read them. Even if it does violate the license, I'm borrowing them to read them once and that's what I'm doing. My understanding is that the library purchases the rights to loan the book out a certain number of times, and I suppose I feel that it's right for each one of those loans to result in that book being read, even if it takes longer than the allotted time to do so.
GBear--

;) Note that I was specifically addressing the comment you made about not "deleting the books from my computer when finished."

I don't have a problem with keeping the books longer than authorized to the same degree I don't have a problem with not returning a checked-out paper book on time. Maybe less because, if you return the book from your Kindle library even if it's still on your Kindle, someone else can check it out. Though with paper books, you usually pay a fine, and if you don't return a book at all, you'll have to pay to replace it or lose your borrowing privileges at most libraries. I've paid many a fine. (One of the things I like about library books on the Kindle is that the books just disappear when the due date comes--I never have to pay any fines because I forgot to return a book.)

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
GBear--

;) Note that I was specifically addressing the comment you made about not "deleting the books from my computer when finished."

I don't have a problem with keeping the books longer than authorized to the same degree I don't have a problem with not returning a checked-out paper book on time. Maybe less because, if you return the book from your Kindle library even if it's still on your Kindle, someone else can check it out. Though with paper books, you usually pay a fine, and if you don't return a book at all, you'll have to pay to replace it or lose your borrowing privileges at most libraries. I've paid many a fine. (One of the things I like about library books on the Kindle is that the books just disappear when the due date comes--I never have to pay any fines because I forgot to return a book.)

Betsy
Betsy,

So I think we're pretty much on the same page, and we're both possibly pirating in a strict sense, or at least violating a license agreement.

On the "not deleting books from the computer," I was meaning more to comment on the irony that, by forcing people to download their library books to their PCs instead of directly to Kindle, the publishers are requiring Kindle owners to make a copy of the library book that cannot be automatically deleted. I would bet that many people who follow this process are not meticulous about deleting that copy, so those publishers' actions are creating "pirates" more than eliminating them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,460 Posts
GBear said:
Betsy,

So I think we're pretty much on the same page, and we're both possibly pirating in a strict sense, or at least violating a license agreement.
Though, truthfully, even though it doesn't bother me when other people keep the book longer, I don't do it myself. A combination of not being quite comfortable with the idea for me and the fact that it's just more hassle than it's worth to me to worry about the WiFi, etc. Lots of books out there, I don't have to cheat the system to have something to read. When I kept paper books longer, I figured the fines helped the library. There isn't a comparable system with ebooks.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
When I kept paper books longer, I figured the fines helped the library. There isn't a comparable system with ebooks.

Betsy
Agreed. I have considered making a donation to the library as I am very happy that they participate in the Overdrive program. Perhaps an anonymous donation from "Rogue Pirate." :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
I don't keep library books past the due date either.  I think if we want publishers to be more willing to put their books in the libraries, we need to follow the rules. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
GBear said:
Agreed. I have considered making a donation to the library as I am very happy that they participate in the Overdrive program. Perhaps an anonymous donation from "Rogue Pirate." :D
That was easy. Online donations are accepted at my library's website. And, best of all, they had several different donation categories, like Student, Individual, Family, Book Patron and Literary Lion. I am now a "Book Keeper," which seems perfectly fitting! Piracy guilt assuaged. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,255 Posts
GBear said:
That was easy. Online donations are accepted at my library's website. And, best of all, they had several different donation categories, like Student, Individual, Family, Book Patron and Literary Lion. I am now a "Book Keeper," which seems perfectly fitting! Piracy guilt assuaged. ;D
;D

For me its not a big deal to stretch it out a bit if I need too. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes things happen. So I just don't turn on wifi, or transfer with usb. But I don't keep them after that. I don't re-read anyway usually so what would be the point. I usually try to spread them out and most of the time the timing works. But sometimes I just fight Murphy's law. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,016 Posts
I've only borrowed one library book on kindle and a couple from people via Amazon.. and have loaned several books.  The only glitch was when one person went to d/l her system crashed, she didn't get the book and Amazon said no more loans of that book.  I just emailed Amazon, they fixed it, I sent it again and she read it quickly.

With Bookcrossing, I used to be signed up for bookrings and bookrays and with those you really cannot predict when you will get the book since there are any number of people and people may be added into the queue based on where they live in the world and whether they will ship only within their country or part of the world, or anywhere.. anyway I have had as many as four books arrive close together, so just would read them in order and quickly, journal them and send them on to the next bookcrosser.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top