Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far the DX is fantastic. Crisp images and the size is large but very managable. My first glitch came when sending a complex pdf (flow chart) file to my kindle account. When I sent the document to [email protected] mail, the document came through and came through as a pdf but would not open.

When I took the same document, and put the document in the Kindle document folder through USB connection, it opened beautifully. When I called customer support to see if this feature should work, it sounds like they need to do a little more work on their file converter to handle more complex files.

When I sent a simple pdf file to [email protected] mail, it converted with no issue. Again, this is a tiny glitch because I can still get the more complex document to my Kindle through my computer and USB, just not through the @kindle.com (as a side note it was a $0.45 charge, so I probably won't use that feature for complex documents that often anyway). They are reversing the charge since it would not convert.

·
Registered
284 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I thought the DX read PDFs natively and you could just transfer them to the Kindle without conversion. If that's the case then there would be no need to send it, just transfer via USB.
Same here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can transfer them through your computer (as described in my first post).  You can also email them. I am not complaining.  Just stating a fact and Amazon is fixing the issue.

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I thought the DX read PDFs natively and you could just transfer them to the Kindle without conversion. If that's the case then there would be no need to send it, just transfer via USB.
That was my understanding as well. . . .I guess I'm thinking that what might have happened is that it automatically tried to 'convert' it to not PDF which is where the problem came in. But it would be useful to send them directly in some cases so it's good they know it's not working precisely as expected.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is a problem with the pdf reader................. I took 4 books by different authors in pdf format and sent them to Kindle for conversion.
Then copied the 4 pdf's & 4 converted to my DX..... the pdf files were useless........ washed out, small print etc. The converted files were
fine. So........... amazon has a good ways to go with pdf's    :mad:

Brian

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
brianm said:
the pdf files were useless........ washed out, small print etc. The converted files were
fine. So........... amazon has a good ways to go with pdf's :mad:

Brian
Converted PDF files are no longer PDFs. That's why they work better, are searchable, etc. The Kindle DX screen is still smaller than a letter sized page, so obviously the text in many cases will be smaller. How did they look when you rotated the screen? That can help, but seems to work better with some native PDFs than others.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Why are people trying to send pdfs to be converted for the DX? It reads them natively, just transfer them over usb. Is there no way to control pdfs on the kindle? IE you can't make the pdf page larger or smaller even?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts