Kindle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing with the ads for about two months now. I started out with automatic targeting and I was hardly getting any impressions. So my co-author suggested switching to manual. Did that, and definitely saw some improvement but it was still kind of slow going at first. It wasn't until an accident that I really started seeing a lot of impressions. I started all the keywords on broad and at 33 cents. But when I was adding a new one, I accidentally let Amazon pick the bid, and I ended up with a bid of over a dollar.

I discovered that mistake when the price of the ads jumped up. I lowered the bid then but not by a lot. Then I started upping the other bids. Honestly, right now, at this rate, I've spent more than I've earned in sales and KU reads.

Lately, I've been slowly lowering the bids back down. I don't go over 70 cents. I've been playing with phrase and exact. I've been getting a nice amount of KU reads. Not so much in sales. It doesn't help that we're selling our books for only 99 cents. We have a nice start when it comes to reviews, but we don't have a lot. We thought if we kept the book price low, maybe more people would buy and therefore, possibly leave a review/rating. So far, we've only gotten one rating from the ads...

So I just have a few questions for the people here, who are very familiar with the ads and how they work.

1.) Which is best to use? Broad, phrase or exact? Do you use all three for the same word? Or do you mix and match? I've been mixing and matching.

2.) I've seen a lot of people say keep your bids low. I started all my bids at 33 cents and I wasn't seeing any results until I made that mistake. So is it true, that you CAN see results with low bids? Or does it depend on the genre? Because the romance genre seems to be very competitive.

3.) Should we up the price of our books to give me more room for higher bids? The reason they're only 99 cents is we're worried that they won't sell. We're a new author with a low amount of reviews. I know me personally, I'm more likely to take a chance on a new author if the book is on the cheaper side, but that doesn't mean everyone thinks the same way as me.

Honestly, any tips you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I really want to get this ad thing figured out. I know it could help us a great deal. Before I started doing the ads our books were sinking to the depths of Amazon hell. Now, they're actually seeing a little bit of light. LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am sure there will be so many different opinions on your questions. They really capture the trickiest issues related to Amazon Ads. Here is what I can tell you, based on many books and video courses I have seen on this subject:

1. At the beginning it's usually better to use broad and give Amazon more control on how your keywords will be typed by customers. Keep checking the "search terms" area of your campaign to see which exact keyword customers used when clicking on your ads and buying your books;

2. This is one of the hottest issue. Many popular Amazon Ads experts insist you should keep your bids as low as possible, way lower than the suggested bid. I have tried this so many times and never got a good number of impressions. It looks like nowadays if you want to get impressions (a good amount) you need to start at least with the suggested bid;

3. And this goes to your third point. If you go with suggested bid and your book is priced at $0.99 and you don't have any additional book in the series, there is no way you'll make a profit. If you have only one book, you might want to increase the price (maube $3.99 or $4.99) to give more room to your campaign.

Good luck and keep testing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts