Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I had a quick question I was hoping some of you might be able to help me with. The library in the town I grew up in contacted me out of the blue about my books. They wanted to know if I'd be interested in doing a program about my writing as well as my experiences as an author the next time I'm in the area. This would be around mid-July.

Naturally, I accepted. However, it seems that there really isn't any sort of guidelines or examples the library follows for these sort of programs. Therefore, I'm sort of on my own to put something together. I have some ideas on what to do, but wanted to also ask if anyone here has done something like this at a library or book store before? What did you do and how was it received?  By the way, my talk/presentation should be around 30-45 minutes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
My mom has done presentations for "Friend of the Library" groups. Her book is historical fiction so she gives a short presentation about the nurses stationed in the Philippines during WWII. She then answers questions from the audience.

The usual questions are along the lines of "When did you start writing?", "How did you pick your subject matter?", "How much of your book is factual?", and questions about the nurses during the war.

Be sure to bring books to sign and sell!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I manage to do about one library signing per month... in fact I have one in my old hometown this Saturday!

My personal policy is to get to the event about 45 minutes early and introduce myself to the librarian. I volunteer to help set up chairs, tables, etc. I know it's not necessary, but it's a good thing. I did this once and when it looked like no one was going to show, the librarian felt sorry for me, got on the phone and strong-armed a group of her friends to come down to the event.

I usually do about a 45 minute presentation. I start by telling a little of the story behind my book then do about a 12-15 minute reading. My excerpt leaves off on a little bit of a cliffhanger, which always leads to some good questions. As long as there are at least 6 or 7 people at the event, there are always enough questions to fill the rest of the time. I take bookmarks with me to give away, along with books to sell and sign, of course. I usually sell 5-10 books at each event.

Then, I stay after and help put the chairs and tables away.

It feels great to connect with readers so directly! Good luck, have fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts