Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My WIP-in-editing, 2010's NaNo project, is a full length contemporary romance (non-zany, but not terribly dramatic, either), and it has gone through several titles.

It was originally called, "Not a Romance," since the lady protagonist is a romance writer by night and an academic who rips down the liberal myths of romance by day in her research (fairly similar to what I do, actually). Anyway, she is firmly anti-hearts-n-flowers, due to a terrible relationship. But, naturally, she meets a guy who forces her to review these ideas - an ex-cop who is using his shot-in-the-line-of-duty pension money to go back to university and takes one of her courses. He, too, had a terrible failed marriage, but he is still open to love. Obviously, LOVE ENSUES. I know, it sounds simple, but it's not a bad read.

Now, I have a new title in mind, "Never too Old to Learn." There are a couple books at Amazon that use similar titles, but nothing that would confuse prospective buyers.

Here's my question: Is it too long? Is it catchy? Does it seem to fit? Anyone think it's crappola?

I'm not too attached to it, as the project is still just called "NaNo WIP 2010," so have at it, folks. I hope to submit it for publication by the end of the summer, so I need to make up my mind soonish for the inquiry letters.

(Normally, I have titles way before this stage; I don't know why this one is giving me trouble.)

THANKS for any and all input!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I joke with my friends that I will some day start a business that kidnaps people and deprograms them of their romantic idiocy. If I ever do that, I will call it The Un-Romantics, Inc. :D

RE: Title - I wonder if just "Never too old" would be good? Though, I don't want to mislead people into thinking it is a silver romance, as it is not... hrmmm...  :-\

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JeanneM said:
Can you have her try to kill him? LOL

I'm sure someone will come along with some more suggestions, that are...um...sane. :)
HAHA! Well, I am re-writing the ending, so perhaps...

Actually, the opening scene is this poor guy getting shot to hell answering a 911 call, so I really shouldn't do anything more to him.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alan nayes said:
How about what you have in the post--LOVE ENSUES--that's short and catchy.
Interesting. The nice thing about romance is you really don't have to worry about giving away the ending.

My current first-draft-WIP is a comedy, so I could follow that up with HILARITY ENSUES. j/k

·
Registered
992 Posts
At first glance, I'd think it was about "older people" and I'm not sure that's what you are aiming for.

If you are shooting for the schooling thing, how about... A Lesson Learned.

These are kind of cheesy, but what about... Schooling the Heart. Or An Unplanned Love. or The {Lesson} Plan

I don't know, maybe these will help you brainstorm some more :)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
anne_holly said:
I joke with my friends that I will some day start a business that kidnaps people and deprograms them of their romantic idiocy. If I ever do that, I will call it The Un-Romantics, Inc. :D

RE: Title - I wonder if just "Never too old" would be good? Though, I don't want to mislead people into thinking it is a silver romance, as it is not... hrmmm... :-\
Don't like 'Never Too Old'.

How about: "Title Match: Head VS Heart" ;D
Or: "From the Ashes" You have two characters whose relationships went down in flames.

[EDIT: I've come across other 'From the Ashes' titles, including 'Love from the Ashes', so maybe not. However, you might want to do a search for whatever title you do choose. You might not like other books with the same title being out there.]

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kpfowler said:
At first glance, I'd think it was about "older people" and I'm not sure that's what you are aiming for.

If you are shooting for the schooling thing, how about... A Lesson Learned.

These are kind of cheesy, but what about... Schooling the Heart. Or An Unplanned Love. or The {Lesson} Plan

I don't know, maybe these will help you brainstorm some more :)
Love Lessons...?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Hot for Teacher

Back in the Saddle

Second Time Around

Yeah, those are just song titles. I happen to like song titles as book titles.

:)

I also like The Lesson Plan as suggested above. Or what about A Class Act.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
D.A. Boulter said:
Don't like 'Never Too Old'.

How about: "Title Match: Head VS Heart" ;D
Or: "From the Ashes" You have two characters whose relationships went down in flames.
I don't like "never too old," either - it plays nicely with the idea of "learning new tricks," but you're right.

From the Ashes is good, but might sound more serious than my book really is.

I love the "heart versus head" angle - that is a main theme in the book.

Recurrent themes in the novel:

second chances, giving it another go at love, thinking too much, single parenting, continuing education, the disconnect between romantic fiction and how real life goes... really hot guy...

I dunno, if any of that sparks anything, let me know...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sybil Nelson said:
Hot for Teacher

Back in the Saddle

Second Time Around

Yeah, those are just song titles. I happen to like song titles as book titles.

:)

I also like The Lesson Plan as suggested above. Or what about A Class Act.
I like Second Time Around angle.

The other ones sound like erotica to me, which I also write, so I want to distance myself from that genre with my romance, so as to not confuse any potential buyers.

Though "Back in the Saddle" would be a great title for an erotic comedy... (Stashing that away for future use.)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have to agree with Alan Nayes. While reading your initial post, I couldn't help but immidiately think, "Why not Love Ensues?"

It rolled nicely in your post, making it feel like you already feel a connection between the story and that phrase, perhaps strongly enough that your subconscious was trying to tell you something.

I can even picture it on the cover. Or even on a movie poster.

Regardless what you decide upon, I hope your story is successful and enjoyed by many, many readers.

:D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
D.A. Boulter said:
[EDIT: I've come across other 'From the Ashes' titles, including 'Love from the Ashes', so maybe not. However, you might want to do a search for whatever title you do choose. You might not like other books with the same title being out there.]
Yes, I always do an Amazon, Google and Romance-Wiki title search before I finalize a title now, since my freshman novel Strings Attached (title chosen back in 2001) seems to share a title with every frigging book ever written - or it seems like it when I search for it. ::)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Randirogue said:
I have to agree with Alan Nayes. While reading your initial post, I couldn't help but immidiately think, "Why not Love Ensues?"

It rolled nicely in your post, making it feel like you already feel a connection between the story and that phrase, perhaps strongly enough that your subconscious was trying to tell you something.

I can even picture it on the cover. Or even on a movie poster.

Regardless what you decide upon, I hope your story is successful and enjoyed by many, many readers.

:D
That's great! I actually typed it with sort of a self-conscious eye-roll, since romance always ends up in love, so it was just sort of a way to wrap up the summary.

My one concern with Love Ensues is that it could apply to any romance, so it wouldn't distinguish the book... but, really, that would work, since she is a romance writer, and I could even work this little exchange into the dialogue!

Huh... it's growing on me...

I will do the searches and see if it's used.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts