Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my birthday is in 2 months and I'm considering asking Hubby for the Paperwhite (although my Kindle Keyboard is fine, it IS 2 years old, and that's my excuse  :p).  I've never owned a Kindle that didn't have 3G (except the Fire, which I don't think of as an e-reader).  I'm thinking I won't miss the 3G much.  I have excellent wifi at home. 

What functions do I need 3G for aside from getting new books? I use "search" from time to time to remember who characters are. I like "go to" to see the front cover and the copyright date, and sometimes the table of contents.  That's about all I use when I'm out and about. I can wait till I'm home to "shop the Kindle store". For those with 3G, what do you use it for? 

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
You can go to the cover and the table of contents and copyright page on most books without any connection whatsoever.  There may occasionally be book where that information isn't part of the book, but I would expect they are, for the most part, older books.

Books with X-Ray have character information in the book, no connection needed.  I have a WiFi only model, and with airplane mode on, I've been able to check all of those things.

My first Kindle had 3G, but truthfully, I don't miss it.  I keep at least 30-40 books on my Kindles that I haven't read at all times.  Maybe more.  So I always have something to read.

And WiFi is pretty common; there's always a Starbucks or McDonald's if nothing else.

Betsy

·
Registered
466 Posts
See the thread labelled "Paperwhite" for a recent discussion of this. (Sorry, I'm not sure how to grab and paste a link to it, but it currently appears on my Page 2 of LTK topics.

There were a number of things that people still felt 3G was useful for. The ones I like for when you're out and about are:

1) looking at book descriptions when you're trying to decide on the next book,

2) an "emergency purchase" of the next book in the series when you're left hanging, and

3) grabbing a quick sample of a book that you spot in the airport bookstore for a later try/buy decision.

It's also a nice security blanket feeling that you can go grab a book to read almost any time, even if you've already got 50 unread books lined up on your Kindle! I'm not sure that I'd strongly recommend it as necessary for anybody else, but when I get a PW I plan to get 3G for myself!

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I guess it depends on where you are.  WiFi is everywhere here in the urban area I live in; I can go a few blocks and have access to WiFi.  So, if I really did have an "emergency need" for a book, despite having 30-50 books on any particular Kindle, I can use WiFi to get it. But that's me.  What constitues an emergency differs for all of us, as does our WiFi access.  :D

But really, even when I only had my Kindle 1, I seldom got books as an "emergency," because it was my only Kindle and every book I purchased went directly to it.  The only time the 3G came in handy in that sense was being able to download an issue of the Washington Post when we were out of town and staying at a relative's house with no WiFi and wanted some news of a subway accident that had happened.

That being said, if your hubby is willing to get the 3G (and usually guys are all for techy upgrades) for your gift, there's no downside to getting one with 3G.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
GBear, to grab a link, right click on the bold-faced subject of the thread, and copy.  Or, if using a touch screen device, press and hold on the subject and copy.  Or, click on the thread so that you are actually reading it, and copy and paste the URL of the thread.

Betsy

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I live in the boondocks, and would hate to be without my Paperwhite having the capability to download a sample or buy a book whenever I want. I often hear or read about books that sound interesting, and I want to be able to find those books as soon as possible. Could I live without 3G? Sure. Am I glad I don't have to? Absolutely!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't have 3-G on mine and don't miss it. I do most of the things that require internet access from home or my parent's house where WiFi is accessible. I have always been good about making sure I have enough content on my kindle before I leave the house, and when I go on vacation, I load a number of books I might like to read beforehand (and I can always connect to the hotel's wifi if I need something else).

That said, a use for 3-G might be the lookup on Wikipedia feature. I hardly ever use this, but just recently read Anno Dracula and that book incorporates many characters from fiction as well as historical figures, so every time I encountered a new name, I would highlight it and look it up on Wikipedia to see where that character came from. For that particular book, I found that feature very useful - even though I can't say I've used it much for other books. (Although I might use it more now that I have become more familiar with it). Unfortunately, I couldn't use that feature when I was reading at my boys' karate lessons because there was no WiFi available at the rec center. Not a big enough deal for me to want to pay for 3G, but a case where it would have come in useful.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It'd be nice to have, but I guess the availability of wifi most places I wind up going kinda negate that.  Sure, if I were on vacation, I'd benefit from 3g...but if I'm on vacation, I'm going to be out doing vacation-y things and not sitting down to read a bunch of new stuff.

If you can get one with 3g, cool.  Go for it. 

·
Super Moderator
67,479 Posts
One thing to remember:  You have Keyboard kindle and can access the web, sort of, with the 3G connection.  You can NOT do that with the 3G on the paperwhite.  The ONLY things you can use 3G for are downloading amazon books or looking at wikipedia.  Checking email, facebook, other websites -- nope.

I haven't had 3G on any of my kindles since the Keyboard, and I didn't even use it much before that.  There was a time we were driving down to Georgia and I was able to use my K1 to look something up and settle a  . . .  we'll say 'discussion'.  This was before any of us had smart phones. :D

Now, the only kindle that has 3G is my DX and it's mostly off.  I just turn it on when I send something to it.  And the DX doesn't go out and about with me -- it's my research library, rather than my fiction library.  Like Betsy, I'm in an area where you can't swing a LOLcat without finding a wifi hotspot to use, and, if necessary, I can make my own with my phone.

If he's willing to spring for 3G, maybe you can negotiate for a cool cover or carry bag or something instead. . .accessories are always good. ;D

·
Registered
568 Posts
It definitely matters where you live and how close you are to wifi sources. My mom, for instance, doesn't have wifi at her house - doesn't want it (doesn't want a smartphone either). 3G comes in handy since that is her primary source for getting new books. She doesn't want to run all the way into town to find a wifi hotspot, either. It just makes sense for her to have the 3G model.

I don't even notice if I'm on 3G or wifi anymore. If I'm at the local McAlister's Deli for lunch, they have wifi and I'll maybe look up a book if I finish one while reading there. A couple of our favorite lunch hangouts don't have wifi, so it's nice to have 3G kick in while there. It's just not that often that I'll be looking for something to read while out and about. The plus side of having 3G in those circumstances is letting the books sync locations back to the mother ship when pausing after lunch. That way, I can read more on my tablet later without needing to open up the K3K and have it sync.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
As others said, it's up to the individual.

Completely useless to me as my Kindle seldom leaves the house and I have WiFi.  Plus I'm in a big city and free wifi is pretty ubiquitous.  And even if not, I have the Verizon share everything plan so I can use my iPhone as a WiFi hotspot.  Also, I usually have at least a handful of unread books on my Kindle, so I've never had a need to download a book away from home anyway.

If you're not around WiFi so much, shop on the Kindle a lot, get periodicals, blogs etc. downloaded often 3G may be worth it for you.

·
Registered
20,438 Posts
I do not have wi-fi at home or at work, I don't frequent MacDonald's and when I'm in Starbucks I want to get my drink and get out, so I opted for paperwhite with 3G.  So while at lunch, I can now download my books instead of having to find a wi-fi hotspot.  Oh, and honestly, I don't find them to be all that ubiquitous.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Every place is different...but I never had trouble finding WiFi in the area we were in while in NY...and there's always plenty of time while I'm waiting for my drink at a Starbucks to download a book.  :D

Though, I should clarify, I seldom browse the Kindle store from my Kindle; I browse on my PC or iPad, and then have the books sent to my Kindle.  Where they download next time I turn one on in WiFi. 

Or, if it's already in my archive but not on the Kindle I'm using, I'll have it downloaded to my Kindle while within WiFi.

Different strokes.  :D

Betsy

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've had my modem go out on me several times and had to wait 2 or 3 days to get an appointment. I get 3G on every Kindle so it will be there when I need it. At least it's a one time cost. If it were a monthly charge I probably wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
fancynancy said:
What functions do I need 3G for aside from getting new books?
News, anytime, almost anywhere is the world on the Kindle 2 and 3. This gives an idea how the BBC may look:

http://tinyurl.com/atgbemd

A used original Kindle will lose service when crossing the Canadian border and thus is almost as bad as a smartphone ;)

For books, I have no need for either 3G or WiFi. Just connect to your computer by cable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't bother with the 3G versions either. I don't see the point tbh.

Just think of all the books you can load up on your Kindle with the money you save.

With that in mind though I am a bit of a hermit. If you travel a lot then I guess the mobile function would be of more use.

Sent from my iPad Mini LTE using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had a Kindle 2 with 3G, got a K3 Keyboard with 3G and thought I wouldn't need it with a Paperwhite.  I receive the Paperwhite wifi for Christmas and definitely missed the convenience!  I am spoiled!  I sent it back and ordered the 3G.  Love it!  I loved my K3 but I truly really love the Paperwhite.  I love the size, the clarity and it's nice not using a light.  The front lighting is less when I'm reading in bed and hubby is happier :).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts