Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having the worst select giveaway day of the year - by a factor of 10 (normally 1k to 5k downloads per day, today less than 200). Should I go ahead and bail on the second day or just let it ride for tomorrow? What do you think?

[update] possible explanation here.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The weird thing is, as best I can tell, none of the dozen or so groups that I made an announcement on, have posted my giveaway. That is definitely the first time this is happened, and explains why I'm not getting much traction today...

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Yeah. I think the days of 10k downloads are over, unless you get picked up by POI or ENT.  It's a whole new reality.

Bailing or not depends on your rank going into this. If you were way down in the 150K + you might as well keep going to get copies out there and maybe pick up some reviews.
If you were doing well before these no-sale days will hurt you at this rate.

I just had a 2-day run with 3k downloads and NO sales bump.  Getting some nice reviews, though.

G

·
Joseph Rhea said:
The weird thing is, as best I can tell, none of the dozen or so groups that I made an announcement on, have posted my giveaway. That is definitely the first time this is happened, and explains why I'm not getting much traction today...
I think this is what happened to me before too, hopefully some of them post it on the second day and it'll go up.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually I'm starting to wonder why I still do giveaways. I sold just over 5k copies and gave away about 30k over the last couple of years. Plus I've got a 4.2 rating with 45 reviews so I don't know that I really need that many more reviews.

I guess it just gives me something to do while I'm writing the next book...  ;)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm starting to think wimpy giveaways are the new normal. Gone are the days of reaching 10,000 new readers with a giveaway and some blog posts/announcements.

I think we've entered the era of building mailing lists and marketing new titles to fans who've signed up.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Nobody's posting free anymore. Well, maybe that's an overstatement, but with Ammy's ban on free book promoting by the big sites, people aren't getting free book ads in their email in-boxes like they used to.

I've got a perma-free, and when March 1st hit, my daily downloads dropped to about half what they were. Rankings have slid a little, but not much, which means everyone is giving away fewer books.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
mathewferguson said:
I'm starting to think wimpy giveaways are the new normal. Gone are the days of reaching 10,000 new readers with a giveaway and some blog posts/announcements.

I think we've entered the era of building mailing lists and marketing new titles to fans who've signed up.
No, they aren't. http://www.amazon.com/A-Storm-Hits-Valparaiso-ebook/dp/B006OPORV8/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1363226211&sr=1-2

That's what? 12k downloads today?

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #8 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical

(GO DAVID GO)

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Saul Tanpepper said:
Nobody's posting free anymore. Well, maybe that's an overstatement, but with Ammy's ban on free book promoting by the big sites, people aren't getting free book ads in their email in-boxes like they used to.

I've got a perma-free, and when March 1st hit, my daily downloads dropped to about half what they were. Rankings have slid a little, but not much, which means everyone is giving away fewer books.
I noticed a perma-free having a big drop recently also.

I had a book go free two years ago and it hit about 8000 downloads for the month. A recent one scraped in at 610.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'd stick with one more day. My current freebie is at over 800 downloads worldwide since this morning.  I got two free posts from a couple of erotica fanpage owners...first-time ever, plus the compilation is new.  ;D

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well it's getting kind of late here in DC so I guess I'll just let tomorrow ride and see what happens. I've already got 35,000 copies of the book being read so I guess I shouldn't be greedy. Also, sometimes it's not about numbers, since some of today's new readers might just love the book and that works for me...

I will admit though that this will probably be be my last give away. Anyway, thanks to all and have a good night...
Joe

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Krista D. Ball said:
No, they aren't. http://www.amazon.com/A-Storm-Hits-Valparaiso-ebook/dp/B006OPORV8/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1363226211&sr=1-2

That's what? 12k downloads today?

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #8 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical

(GO DAVID GO)
David's got a big following and ins with a lot of bloggers, all of which are more than happy to spread the word (I know I did when I found out this morning). But David's not your usual case study, either.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts