Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PW arrived from the Canadian outlet (well, it's just down the road) this a.m. Wonderful little thing! I've been gentle, made it welcome, named it, set it up with WiFi, etc., BUT when I wanted to download a book I'm currently reading on my K4, I learned that no other devices were registered to that account. Maybe some details like exact name or email addy differed. Well, duh. Would it be easier to DEregister this PW and REregister it as belonging to my US account where my two D4s are? Any problems you can see????

Thanks if you can help.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yes, you can definitely try that.  Deregister and then register to your existing US account to which your K4's are currently associated.  Then you should have access to the same cloud and books that you purchased through your US account.  Let us know if that still doesn't work and the other experts in this board can chime in.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
If you want to share books with your K4, both devices have to be registered to the same account. Accounts do not transcend Amazon stores. So, you can have an account on Amazon.com; you would have a different account on Amazon.ca.

You may have difficulty registering it onto Amazon.com--I'm not sure. But yes, you'll have to deregister it from the Amazon.ca account and register it to the Amazon.com account.

Betsy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very very much, Betsy. There was no problem. I was able to deregister the new PW and re-register it on my .com account. Who knew it could be so easy! The cloud collection shows up, so all should be fine from now on. Big hugs.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Great!  Enjoy!  I wasn't sure if changing "countries" would be a problem.  Otherwise, as you've found, deregistering from one account to another is pretty easy!

Betsy

·
Registered
21 Posts
This might be slightly off-topic, but it's actually possible to change countries within a single Amazon account, without need to deregister or reregister the Kindle. Just navigate to "Your Account > Manage Your Kindle > Your Kindle Account > Country Settings > Change" on Amazon.com. All owned books are retained.

Obviously that wouldn't have helped in this particular case, where two different accounts were being used, but it can be handy if moving between countries or if your device has somehow been set to the wrong region, etc.

·
Super Moderator
67,394 Posts
Daniel Fearon said:
This might be slightly off-topic, but it's actually possible to change countries within a single Amazon account, without need to deregister or reregister the Kindle. Just navigate to "Your Account > Manage Your Kindle > Your Kindle Account > Country Settings > Change" on Amazon.com. All owned books are retained.

Obviously that wouldn't have helped in this particular case, where two different accounts were being used, but it can be handy if moving between countries or if your device has somehow been set to the wrong region, etc.
That's true.

But if, for example, you're in Spain. And you change your country to the UK without actually moving to the UK, sooner or later Amazon will contact you about the disconnect. An explanation like -- well, I was there briefly and am back home now followed by changing the country back to Spain, will satisfy them. But if you're trying to use a country you are NOT in, they're going to ask for proof that you have the right to do so. Citizenship there, for instance.

And it's not because they're just being hard nosed about things. They're obligated to publishers to do their best to ensure that copyrights are properly observed. Books often have different copyrights in different countries and amazon can not legally sell to a person NOT in a country where the book is allowed to be sold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts