Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all. My novel The Black Mile is selling at a rate of around 20 a day (in US and UK). It's been at that level for the better part of a couple of months. I'm pleased with that.

I've booked a BookBub ad to go with a two day freebie at the end of the month. However, I'm starting to get cold feet. If I go free again, I'm going to monkey around with the also bots and ranking (it's around 2,000 in both shops). But perhaps the ad will boost visibility so that the bump will mean better sales than I'm getting now. Or perhaps not.

The alternative is to cancel the two free days, come out of Select, change the ad to one for a paid for book (and pay BookBub the extra) and get it into other retailers.

Or something else...

What would you do?

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
Personally, I would not go free with a book that's selling so well. Messing up the also-boughts is a pretty significant risk. Right now, the targeted readers are finding your book. I wouldn't do anything that might jeopardize that.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'd bite the bullet and do the paid ad. I had a book like that and ran an ad with them last week. The book hit the top 100 and is still up there. I know that doesn't happen to everyone, but the boost in visibility on kindle, nook, and kobo was totally worth the cost of the ad.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
If it's any help, my one free book with Bookbub did very well. Whether that means you should run the ad or not... hard to say but I had a good experience with it.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Mark Dawson said:
The alternative is to cancel the two free days, come out of Select, change the ad to one for a paid for book (and pay BookBub the extra) and get it into other retailers.

Or something else...
That's what I'd do. When I've done BookBubs for paid sales, my increased sales (even with the reduced royalty) have more than paid for the cost of the BookBub just on Amazon alone, but then what really made the difference was having it available on B&N and iBookstore.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My recent bookbub ad (paid) was very successful, but I understand the idea of using free as well. It's a hard decision when your books are selling well, but I've also seen friends go free with the first book (usually for longer than two days+an ad) and really go huge with sales of subsequent books.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Quiss said:
I wonder what percentage of Bookbub subscribers are Kindle owners.
I have no idea. But I can tell you the results of my BookBub, if that helps.

(Keep in mind that my genre is YA, which has one of the smaller subscriber bases, so the price of the ad is much, much lower than many other genres.)

I sold around 300 Kindle copies that day, and (runs off to check stats on PubIt) 117 Nook copies. I didn't lower my price on Kobo because the dashboard wasn't working (it was during the publisher blackout period, so our prices were locked in stone), so I didn't get on that email list.

Actually, I misspoke before. I didn't lower my price at iBookstore because I would have had to go through Smashwords and it would have taken way too much time. So it was actually only Nook that really put it over the top. I have to believe that had I been direct at Apple (which I'll be doing soon -- my Mac Mini was delivered today!) and been able to change my price at Kobo that it would have been even more beneficial.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I personally wouldn't go free on a book that's selling 20 copies per day. I would do your second option :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Don't mess with the alsobots if you can help it, but I understand the next level is quite expensive. I checked the price for a paid romance promo and had a conniption :).

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, it's pretty steep.  :eek:

I'll give it a couple of days and see if sales keep ticking away at the same level. If they do, I'm minded to either shell out for the paid or postpone it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yours would be thriller price, right? Holy Golly.

What would be your discounted price? At 99cts, to make back the money, you'll have to sell 1300 copies right (off the top of my head before coffee so I could be wrong)? And their average downloads for discounts 1700 (general stat 190-4310). How confident are you?

If you do it, I'll be watching you like a hawk to see how it goes because then I know what to do ;).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts