Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this book not on Kindle?  I've been trying to find it but all I see are study guides.  Hard to believe this wouldn't be on Kindle. 

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Not legally. Harper Lee is still living and apparently hasn't given permission to have it published in digital form.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sigh... thanks for responding.  I sure wish she'd give approval.  I really don't want to buy a paperback version.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
One of many classics that still has yet to make the transition.  It's too bad, too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Books like this are why I'll always have a bookshelf.  I can't imagine not owning a copy, though I wish it were on my Kindle, as well.

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
Kali.Amanda said:
I'm not entirely sure that is up to Ms. Lee. There may be legal issues with the publishers.
I would guess that there's nothing about digital rights in the original contract. . . so the publishers can't release it without her o.k. And she's not interested.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Kali.Amanda said:
I'm not entirely sure that is up to Ms. Lee. There may be legal issues with the publishers.
True - most of what I've read has indicated that it's Ms. Lee that doesn't want it released in eBook form, but I don't know if that's true. I suspect it is, though, as I can't imagine a publisher (in this case HarperCollins) not being willing to release it in digital form. But really, it depends on who has the digital rights - HarperCollins or Harper Lee.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Since digital rights were unknown and unanticipated when her contract was signed, it is her choice. The rights are hers. Like many elderly people she apparently has little understanding of the digital age. It may be a very long time before some of the older works still under copyright become available. It's a shame but not anything that can be done about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Huh, that's interesting. It is too bad, but what is kinda sad is that we will not respect her wish and will have it electronic once she is passed. I think it's too bad she is not willing to have it electronic, but I also find it wrong that we will more then likely not respect her wishes of not doing it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
SylvieB1984 said:
Huh, that's interesting. It is too bad, but what is kinda sad is that we will not respect her wish and will have it electronic once she is passed. I think it's too bad she is not willing to have it electronic, but I also find it wrong that we will more then likely not respect her wishes of not doing it.
That may (or may not) be true. Assuming that she plans to leave the rights to some person or organization as part of her estate, she may place restrictions on how it can be managed. All I know is that it's a fantastic book, and I'd love to have a copy on my Kindle. If that never happens, I've still got a well-loved and dogearred copy on my book shelf.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
SylvieB1984 said:
Well, if she doesn't change her mind (assuming it's her and not the publisher that's against having it published digitally), she or her estate will still retain the copyright until 2055 (95 years past the date of publication according to this chart http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm) - or maybe even later than that depending on when she last renewed the copyright - I don't know if the "70 years after death" kicks in at some point. By then who knows what the technology will be?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Poor Harper...so mysterious and reclusive.  I wonder if we'll discover a dozen unpublished novels from her when she passes away.  I truly can't imagine how someone capable of writing one of the single greatest pieces of literature of all time could simply stop writing.  It makes me sad.  And while I don't believe the rumors that Truman Capote actually wrote it...it does leave me baffled how a magnificent writer could abandon her craft. 

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Zachery Richardson said:
It's kinda like how The Beatles never made their music available for digital download until recently. It'll happen eventually. It always does. :p
That was due to a spat over the Apple trademark. The Beatles had Apple Records long before Apple was anyting but a fruit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently found my old paperback and got it out for my son. However, I've hesitated to give it to him becasue of the rape and incest related to the trial.  I'm not sure that's something he's ready for.  He's 10 and I don't remember how old I was when I first read it. Parents, how did your kids handle it?  

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
laa0325 said:
I recently found my old paperback and got it out for my son. However, I've hesitated to give it to him becasue of the rape and incest related to the trial. I'm not sure that's something he's ready for. He's 10 and I don't remember how old I was when I first read it. Parents, how did you kids handle it?
That's an excellent point. My son is eight, but even when he's ten, I think I'd hesitate. There are some amazing life lessons in there, so it could go either way. Still, IMO, ten might be too young to understand the content and/or context of the lessons.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts