Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there was a general consensus as to when it is a good time to lower the price of an ebook.  I know this whole scene is relatively new at the moment, but does anyone have any rule of thumb that they follow for the price of their books?

I don't want to get into the debate about what the price of an ebook should be as I'm sure there are plenty of threads on that at the moment (though I haven't searched to find if this is true or not), just whether people have a gauge as to when to lower, or indeed to increase, their ebook prices.

Paul

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
OK, without getting into price specifics.

1) I looked up your books and all of them are as low as Amazon will allow, except for one title. Which is still on the low end of the ebook market as a whole.

2) Price dropping doesn't work for everyone. It's worked for some people; but it's no magic bullet. For every author who drops their price from $2.99 to $0.99 and takes off into the stratosphere, there are dozens who do so and see little more than a one week mild bump.

Which means price isn't the only thing to consider. There's genre, quality of writing, whether you're doing anything, or enough, to raise awareness of who you are. Stuff like that.

It all plays a factor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, CraigInTwinCities.  I hear what you say. 

I suppose what I was really after was is there a time, other than the Xmas period, when it would be a good time to temporarily lower a book price to attract readers which would lead them on to buying your higher priced books?

I have plans on higher priced books in the near future and am trying to get a plan of action together on how best to sell them.  Playing with prices at particular times of the year being one of the strategies.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
PBThompson said:
Thanks, CraigInTwinCities. I hear what you say.

I suppose what I was really after was is there a time, other than the Xmas period, when it would be a good time to temporarily lower a book price to attract readers which would lead them on to buying your higher priced books?

I have plans on higher priced books in the near future and am trying to get a plan of action together on how best to sell them. Playing with prices at particular times of the year being one of the strategies.

Thanks

Paul
My personal opinion is this.

You have, what, six books out? All but one priced at the Amazon minimum of $0.99.

People use that price one of two ways:

1) As a justifiable price for a shorter work

2) As an introductory price to lure readers to you.

With five of your six works priced at $0.99, I think you have plenty of "low-priced intros to your work."

So my suggestion would be, it's time to price for length, not audience-buying.

So if you have a shorter work, price it $0.99 and keep it there. If it's a novel, price it $2.99 or above and keep it there... because ultimately readers need to decide your work is worth a bit more than minimum wage. Otherwise, they never will.

If you were just starting out and only had one book, I could see price-dropping. With as many $0.99 works as you have? It's time to put something at $2.99 and keep it there. (More, if it's really long.)

Just my thoughts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts