Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Amazon's Kindle Board:

K. in TN said:
[size=10pt]If you price the book at $1.00 instead of $0.99, Amazon will discount it to $0.80 (20% off). Only 99 cent books get no discount (at least, currently).

Karen
http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/
I believe if Amazon discounts the price themselves, the author still makes the same amount no matter what. Is this correct? If so, it's a handy tip for you authors with $1 books.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Interestingly enough, Amazon isn't always so generous. One of our unfortunate authors here on KB priced his book at $1.00 and Amazon decided to charge more than he priced it for! Call it a glitch if you want, methinks something is fishy!

edit: Looks like 'zon caught its mistake. They've now reduced the aforementioned book's price to 80 cents.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yep. That's a win/win situation, because the author still makes the same royalties, while the reader saves $0.20. Amazon pays royalties on the list price, not the sell price.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Glad you guys saw my tip. It takes several hours for Amazon to catch up on the price it charges after you change your list price (just as it takes them a while to first list your book after you publish it). For now, all books, other than 99 cent books, get at least a 20% discount. I have found some with higher discounts (and in odd areas, such as a book on genetics in farm animals had a 28% discount), but none with less.

Also, if you want to get a book listed at a penny, publish it on Mobipocket.com. That's the lowest price allowed there and the books can be cross-listed into the Kindle store (I don't know if it is automatic or a setting you choose, but do know that several authors have used this trick to get their books listed for "nearly free".

Karen
Books On The Knob

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've been taking full advantage of that for a while now, and I have to say it's really paid off! Thanks for sharing though. Whenever I see a ninety nine cent novel I always want to tell the author "You know..."

·
Registered
509 Posts
Does the same tip apply to 49 cent stories if you price them at 50 cents?  Curious because I'm getting ready to release a substantial backlist of my previously pub'd stories for Kindle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
809 Posts
jonfmerz said:
Does the same tip apply to 49 cent stories if you price them at 50 cents? Curious because I'm getting ready to release a substantial backlist of my previously pub'd stories for Kindle.

Thanks!
I don't think Amazon's discount starts until the price is listed at $1.00.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Wait a minute?! You found a fifty cent story on Amazon? I've been wanting to make my stories fifty cents since I published my first one, but the lowest price Amazon let's me set is a dollar. I must be doing something wrong!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
koland said:
Also, if you want to get a book listed at a penny, publish it on Mobipocket.com. That's the lowest price allowed there and the books can be cross-listed into the Kindle store (I don't know if it is automatic or a setting you choose, but do know that several authors have used this trick to get their books listed for "nearly free".

Karen
Books On The Knob
Keith,

Just wanted to make sure you saw Karen's post. By publishing your book on MobiPocket, you'll be able to bypass Amazon's price threshold and get you to your intended price range.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Don't know if it's possible to price a short at 49 cents, but that was the price Amazon itself used to use for the shorts they selected for the earlier program. 

My problem with Mobipocket is that by publishing with them, you agree not to sell the book anywhere else on the Internet.  I don't like that.  Anyone use them and ignore that clause in the contract?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thanks very much!  I hope you have a blast with it!  ;D

·
Registered
167 Posts
I lowered my price a few hours ago to take advantage of this, and Amazon discounts my $1 book 1 Cent....so it's still $0.99

Maybe it will go lower still, I don't know...but it looks like it doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Mchael:

Let me know if the price change goes through. DTP is stuck and my price change back for No Irish need Apply is in limbo for 2 days now.

Ed Patterson

·
Registered
463 Posts
jonfmerz said:
Don't know if it's possible to price a short at 49 cents, but that was the price Amazon itself used to use for the shorts they selected for the earlier program.

My problem with Mobipocket is that by publishing with them, you agree not to sell the book anywhere else on the Internet. I don't like that. Anyone use them and ignore that clause in the contract?
I know several authors who are on both Kindle and Mobipocket (they do Kindle first, perhaps that's the "trick"). Those with agents and publishers are often sold in several formats, including mobipocket, but perhaps not in the "mobipocket store" (I don't know, as I seldom shop there).

My problem with shorts is their format - If you have a big backlog to publish, I'd much prefer you reformat it (properly for an ebook) and sell one or more collections on the Kindle. I suspect you'll get a LOT more sales, as well (there is a reason Amazon has discontinued almost all the other digital publishing formats they had before).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts