Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have something that I've been wrestling with. I have a ongoing hard sci fi space marine short story series that I've been publishing on Amazon for years that is now pushing 200k words total. When I first heard of Vella, I thought the stories may have finally found their home. However, even if I unpublish them on Amazon, I still cannot put them up on Vella (which I find a shame, but I totally get it, they don't want people flooding the market with their backlists).

So what do you all think I should do? Rewrite them word for word. (Which may not be a bad idea, because I'm a better writer then when I first started). Publish on Vella? Or could I possibly being running afoul of the TOS?

Tweak the first stories, give one of the other Vella like services a go?

Write a parallel Vella storyline from the POV of the villain? (He's a genocidal maniac, but misunderstood one at that.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have something that I've been wrestling with. I have a ongoing hard sci fi space marine short story series that I've been publishing on Amazon for years that is now pushing 200k words total. When I first heard of Vella, I thought the stories may have finally found their home. However, even if I unpublish them on Amazon, I still cannot put them up on Vella (which I find a shame, but I totally get it, they don't want people flooding the market with their backlists).

So what do you all think I should do? Rewrite them word for word. (Which may not be a bad idea, because I'm a better writer then when I first started). Publish on Vella? Or could I possibly being running afoul of the TOS?

Tweak the first stories, give one of the other Vella like services a go?

Write a parallel Vella storyline from the POV of the villain? (He's a genocidal maniac, but misunderstood one at that.)
With the new rule changes announced today, you can collect Vella episodes and publish them in book form after the last one has been online for 30 days. So you could start a related series, maybe your villain's POV, and after the last episode has been on Vella a month you could publish it as a book to join your first one that's already published.

It would be all new content, so you're not running afoul of the rules. It could join your other book later as a sequel or continuation in series.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the new rule changes announced today, you can collect Vella episodes and publish them in book form after the last one has been online for 30 days. So you could start a related series, maybe your villain's POV, and after the last episode has been on Vella a month you could publish it as a book to join your first one that's already published.

It would be all new content, so you're not running afoul of the rules. It could join your other book later as a sequel or continuation in series.
That's fantastic news! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

^This is a very good solution!

Make the Vella series effectively a prequel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts