Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I know there's a few Tom Edwards fans here so I thought I'd post my cover from him for feedback. He was simply amazing to work with and, I think, ridiculously talented. Changes are still possible so please let me know what you think.

Here's the current blurb, if you're interested, for your critiquing pleasure as well:

The colony world of Garma had only known tyranny and oppressive rule by the fascist, militarized government known as the Faction for decades. An isolated settlement, the peaceful people of Garma had no hope when heavy war cruisers orbited their world, bombarded their small defense force and landed a mechanized army that had never met its equal.

The invasion ended almost as soon as it began and the occupation followed.

Many years later, Garman born Desmond Ranier is known as a Red Seal, his years of loyal and obedient service to the Faction proven with a coveted marker grafted to his hand, its color signifying the highest possible level of trust granted. Because of this Desmond enjoys responsibility and privilege few Garman people know as a utility shuttle pilot. After living so much of his life under brutal Faction rule he has accepted his place; aiding in the ongoing subjugation of his own people and the continued desecration of the only home he's ever known.

Until he sees a beautiful face from his past, a prisoner on his shuttle bound for a horrid fate in the internment camps. A woman who reminds Desmond of a life before the invasion, one he had forced himself to forget in order to survive the living nightmare his homeworld had become.

She reminds him of who he once was. And what he once believed in fighting for.

Thanks and a Happy New Year to everyone!

G

·
As I made clear in the other thread Tom Edwards' art is superb and the blurb makes it sound like a story I'd like to read.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hugh

Thank you immensely! Your feedback means a lot.

I can't say enough about how great Tom was to work with and I recommend him for anyone who wants that classic illustrated look for their fantasy or sci-fi project. Check out his Deviantart profile or blog, amazing stuff.

Speaking about Devinatart, it's a fantastic but dangerous place to shop for artists. Reason being you may fall in love with someone who does A list video game and movie concept art. Massive $$$ for a commission.

Someone like Steven Burg, who does concept art for a certain Mr. Ridley Scott.

http://steveburg.blogspot.com/

I have to wonder...has Mr. Burg gotten his marching orders to start designing Silo interiors yet?

G

·
D.L. Shutter said:
Speaking about Devinatart, it's a fantastic but dangerous place to shop for artists. Reason being you may fall in love with someone who does A list video game and movie concept art. Massive $$$ for a commission.
*laughs* Oh yes, all too true. I remember when I went around DA querying artists who I thought produced art on a roughly same level of quality for my first book I got rates between $50 per piece and 450 per day. ;D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember when I went around DA querying artists who I thought produced art on a roughly same level of quality for my first book I got rates between $50 per piece and €450 per day.
Yup. I've gotten rates of a hundred an hour (min-10 hours) total time requiredunknown, up to 2k$ flat rate and some even required a retainer, big ones, final costs TBD based on project and your request for re-work .

Dangerous place to go shopping for heartbreak. But then again, I was the dumbass e-mailing folks who've worked on major video games and the such. I got lucky in the end though, so all smiles here. ;D

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
D.L. Shutter said:
I can spend hours there. It's like crack.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brian...thanks.

Any takers on the blurb?

I can spend hours there. It's like crack
VR...yes, scouting artists on Deviantart truly is another great and powerful procastination tool disguised as "writer-ish work". Here's another thing; funny how many of us KB'ers are from MD. How are things out in Frederick?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I loooove it, but agree with James- I feel the typography needs some changes. These examples seem to be in the same theme of your cover and they have solid type work:

If you draw some inspiration from these then you'll have a gorgeous, timeless book cover.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scarlett...Thanks for the great examples, I'm familiar with most of those covers and that level of quality I was aiming for with Tom. And I see what you mean about making the distinction between title and author.

Humble...Thank you as well for the designers-eye perspective. It's something I'll look into revising.

·
Administrator
10,147 Posts
D.L. Shutter said:
I know there's a few Tom Edwards fans here so I thought I'd post my cover from him for feedback. He was simply amazing to work with and, I think, ridiculously talented. Changes are still possible so please let me know what you think.

Here's the current blurb, if you're interested, for your critiquing pleasure as well:

The colony world of Garma had only known tyranny and oppressive rule by the fascist, militarized government known as the Faction for decades. An isolated settlement, the peaceful people of Garma had no hope when heavy war cruisers orbited their world, bombarded their small defense force and landed a mechanized army that had never met its equal.

The invasion ended almost as soon as it began and the occupation followed.

Many years later, Garman born Desmond Ranier is known as a Red Seal, his years of loyal and obedient service to the Faction proven with a coveted marker grafted to his hand, its color signifying the highest possible level of trust granted. Because of this Desmond enjoys responsibility and privilege few Garman people know as a utility shuttle pilot. After living so much of his life under brutal Faction rule he has accepted his place; aiding in the ongoing subjugation of his own people and the continued desecration of the only home he's ever known.

Until he sees a beautiful face from his past, a prisoner on his shuttle bound for a horrid fate in the internment camps. A woman who reminds Desmond of a life before the invasion, one he had forced himself to forget in order to survive the living nightmare his homeworld had become.

She reminds him of who he once was. And what he once believed in fighting for.

Thanks and a Happy New Year to everyone!
A beautiful illustration, but I'm not crazy about the typeface choice. It looks sort of strange and squished, to me.

I like the blurb, but I'd make a few changes for grammar, punctuation, and tightness:

The colony world of Garma had only known tyranny and oppressive rule by the fascist, militarized government known as the Faction for decades. An isolated and peaceful settlement, the peaceful people of Garma had no hope when the heavy war cruisers of the Factionorbited their world, bombarded their small defense force and landed a mechanized army that had never met its equal. The invasion ended almost as soon as it began and the occupation followed.

After living so much of his life under brutal Faction rule, Garman-born shuttle pilot Desmond Ranier has accepted his place; role in aiding in the ongoing subjugation of his own people and the continued desecration of the only home he's ever known his world. In fact, he is known as a Red Seal, his years of loyal and obedient service to the Faction proven with a coveted marker grafted to his hand, its color signifying the highest possible level of trust granted. Because of this Desmond enjoys responsibility and privilege few Garman people know as a utility shuttle pilot.

Until he sees a beautiful face from his past, a prisoner on his shuttle bound for a horrid fate in the internment camps. A woman who reminds Desmond of a life before the invasion, one he had has forced himself to forget in order to survive the living nightmare his homeworld had has become.

She reminds him of who he once was.

And of what he once believed in fighting for.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
humblenations said:
Don't we always agree, my dear. How are things with you? Hope you had a fab Xmas. Hope you're getting enough work in! Smiles to you ... you're my hero! Not just because you agree - but because you're a very good designer and always proffer solid advice. Good will in life is important.
Ha ha! Hero, I find that very bizarre and flattering- so thank you! And yes, verrr busss now I'm back from holidays. Sounds like things are bubbling nicely over at goonwrite!

[quote author=Dan Harris]
I never get tired of looking at that Leviathan Wakes cover.
[/quote]

I know right? It's a very epic cover, makes me feel like the ships are moving and I'm floating in space.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Becca

Thanks for the great feedback and revision of my blurb, really appreciate your time and effort. You did a great job of tightening it up although I may finishw iht a slightly lonegr version of your edit. And yes, I tend to put a lot into my blurbs but I realize that they do need to be trimmed down.

Sorry for the slow reply, I thought this cover was put to bed and then I checked and saw your post. Thanks again.

D.L.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.