Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now realizing I have so many unfinished works that it's making me go nuts. I have a passion to get things going, but than I start on something new because I have a great idea  popping up in my head and I start working on it. Does anyone ever feel this way or are in my position? My works have thousands upon thousands of words already written...In fact sometimes I go one day with one project and a second day with another and return the third day to the original project.

Maybe I should start giving myself a deadline on each project and just set on ONE. I WANT to finish them all and I am excited for each one...but any tips would be appreciated ;D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Start with the one you love the most. If there's a tie, flip a coin. Sometimes you just have to kick your own butt into gear for the sake of your sanity. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Before I could finish anything, I did this.  Lots of great concepts that get me excited, but I generally never finished them because I hadn't yet learned how to organize the story before I started writing (in particular, have the ending in mind before even writing the first word).  I'd write myself into dead-ends.

The good thing is, your unfinished drafts will always be patiently waiting for your inevitable return.  Some people say they actually like working on multiple stories at once, moving back and forth between them as they feel inspired for a particular story.  Maybe give that a shot, and work on all of them at once! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I read somewhere, some Nora Roberts interview or something, that she (Nora) works on only one manuscript at a time, totally completing it before moving on to the next.

I keep a pad of sticky notes in the drawer next to me so any idea that floats through my head gets jotted down on the sticky note.  Or email it to myself.  Or open Scrivener and just type it in real quick as a new project and then go back to the other project.  This doesn't mean I don't bounce around from one project to another.  I plead guilty to that.  But, I *strive* to stick to one until it's done.  So far, I've only completed one novel and one short story and I have about 7 others in the beginning stages that I'm trying to ignore, and a huge file full of sticky-noted ideas.  I'd need several lifetimes just to write the ideas I've already jotted down, never mind ideas I come up with in the future!!  It's so frustrating.

Pick one and try to finish it before moving on to the next!  I think the only reason I ever finished my novel was because I had a self-imposed contest deadline looming over my head.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Nope, not insane. If you were medically insane, you would see nothing wrong with this behavior. But, since you see the problem, you can be tried as a criminal WIP slayer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was just like that, until a teacher told me it was "creative procrastination."

I hate that term, but he was right.

Most of my best ideas are just elaborate ways to get out of work.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I'm the opposite: all 18 episodes of my series are in first draft mode, and I am trying to edit them one by one. I know I will go on writing about that series because there is still so much to say, but I don't seem to be capable to write about anything else, though I have a lot of ideas for possible other books or series that pop in my head regularly.  :-\

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I have dozens of works in various stages of incompletion. What I'll do, when I get a new bunny, is jot some notes. If it's really biting me, I might write a snippet, or a scene, but it's normal for me to then need to focus about a story, to continue it from there, so I get to that "Okay, gotta focus on this" point and then go back to one of my in-progress pieces.

For most projects, though, I reach a point where I have to sit down and say "I will finish this by X date or else Y." (Right now, I have to finish the first draft of one novel no later than tomorrow, or I'll owe a friend $25.) I've tried other methods, but the self-punishment is the only one that really works. I have to lock myself in, too-if my goal's just "write 5k words in a week", I'll write 5k words that week…in everything but the project I was intending to work on. *facepalm*

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Set a deadline to complete one: it's the only thing that works for me.

I started Horror Movie on a business trip two years ago and had about half the novel done by the time I got back; since then it's sat around waiting to be finished while I worked on other things. I've decided it's going to be out by the end of June, though I may finish a short story or two in the meantime.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You have to train yourself to FINISH THINGS.

FINISHING projects is as important -- if not more so -- than starting them. You have to get yourself in the habit. And it is a habit, something you learn to do.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've got the same problem - I've lost track of how many half started projects are out there, not to mention others I want to write.  (I think at last count I had some 20 odd series I want to do.  Series, not stories.)

Right at this moment I am working on 3 different stories, with a 4th waiting final proofreading/editting.

I think I prefer writing short stories/novellas in part because it does allow me the chance to work on multiple things and have even finish some of them.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Bree Roberts said:
I read somewhere, some Nora Roberts interview or something, that she (Nora) works on only one manuscript at a time, totally completing it before moving on to the next.
This. I'd never get anything done if I hopped from manuscript to manuscript. Not only would I not be able to keep the storylines straight, but I'd probably keep coming up with new ideas and never finish anything.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Fahid said:
I'm now realizing I have so many unfinished works that it's making me go nuts. I have a passion to get things going, but than I start on something new because I have a great idea popping up in my head and I start working on it. Does anyone ever feel this way or are in my position? My works have thousands upon thousands of words already written...In fact sometimes I go one day with one project and a second day with another and return the third day to the original project.

Maybe I should start giving myself a deadline on each project and just set on ONE. I WANT to finish them all and I am excited for each one...but any tips would be appreciated ;D
You sir, have the writers' disease. Take three doses each of War and Peace, Anna Karenina and Homer's The Odyssey morning and night for two weeks - at the end of which you'll say, 'Man, I can knock out one 300-400 page novel before breakfast'

Of course, that won't stop all the stories from burning at the back of your brain. Being a writer is definition of madness ;D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Diane Patterson said:
You have to train yourself to FINISH THINGS.

FINISHING projects is as important -- if not more so -- than starting them. You have to get yourself in the habit. And it is a habit, something you learn to do.
I agree. And it is possible, but hard work. I had to retrain myself to think in terms of completion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts