Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to help myself figure out where to go after finishing the most recent book, I bought myself a notebook (of the pen and paper variety) and started listing out all the various ideas I've had for stories.  At the moment it is just a list, but I'm going to give each a page to list ideas so I don't forget.

Turns out there are a lot of them.  So far there are 21 listings (and that isn't counting another dozen I want to do under pen names at some stage.)

Oh, and most of those aren't single books either, but entire series or collections of short fiction.

Far from helping me out, it started to make me a little depressed.  I've got all these stories I want to tell, but I can't see how I'm going to manage to do it, not any time soon.

Doesn't help that this year looks like being ridiculously busy, trying to finish off my course, probably getting married, moving states, looking for work etc.  Finding time to write looks like being way down the list, and marketting even lower :(  The dream seems to be slipping away at times.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A. S. Warwick said:
In an effort to help myself figure out where to go after finishing the most recent book, I bought myself a notebook (of the pen and paper variety) and started listing out all the various ideas I've had for stories. At the moment it is just a list, but I'm going to give each a page to list ideas so I don't forget.

Turns out there are a lot of them. So far there are 21 listings (and that isn't counting another dozen I want to do under pen names at some stage.)

Oh, and most of those aren't single books either, but entire series or collections of short fiction.

Far from helping me out, it started to make me a little depressed. I've got all these stories I want to tell, but I can't see how I'm going to manage to do it, not any time soon.

Doesn't help that this year looks like being ridiculously busy, trying to finish off my course, probably getting married, moving states, looking for work etc. Finding time to write looks like being way down the list, and marketting even lower :( The dream seems to be slipping away at times.
If you look at it from a lightly different angle this is a good thing. Having too much to do is worse that leading a life where you have too much time on your hands. I have a huge graveyard of half finished novels, notebooks full of ideas for books and games, and I've only got one book out there... it reminds me of the old saying where Caesar came across a statue of Alexander the great and felt compelled to weep because Alexander had done so much more with his life than Ceasar had at his age. Find time to write, just do it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Yeah, I have the same problem. I wanted to write today and still havent gotten to it. Did marketing all afternoon. That always takes longer than I think it will. At least I won't have to touch my blog or email for the rest of the week. I did the posts today and scheduled everything.

I do one thing at a time. It sounds dumb, but if you make a list and tackle it one by one, it'll make you feel like you're making progress. I have 75 stories that I started last year and didn't finish. I finished way more than I thought though - 18 total (novels and novellas). I just picked up another one and started it. 74 stories left... I'm super excited about one. I totally forgot about it. Lists aren't just for crazy people...but we like them too. :)

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
I'm writing more shorts now, and novellas. I put out a full-length novel last month, but it was on the slim side.

Some people will say they don't want to purchase shorter works, but other say they want them. As long as everything's clearly labelled, I think you can be a very happy storyteller! You can find away to cover more ideas by making them compact. If something grabs onto you and demands to be longer, you can always go longer. :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a serial offender of starting new projects and not finishing them as something new and ooh, shiney, comes along.  Part of the reason the list has grown as much as it has.  Most of the ones of there actually have been started at one stage or another.

I also prefer the shorts and novellas.  Given time restraints Imuch prefer to read them and find writing them works better for me as it means that something actually gets completed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.