Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
I've been #1 in Tarot before, but it only takes a rank of #33,000 or so to get that.  This is great, but you've got to remember that some readers might be quite miffed if they pick up a book in 'Movie Tie-in' and it should have been in 'Historical Romance.'  Just sayin'.

G

·
scslawin said:
The bigger the #, the easier to chart, correct?
Yeah, I was poking around in Kindle Worlds today and saw a #7 Sci-fi with Rank #330,000 or so. Crazy! Can you imagine how many regular sci-fi authors with that rank would kill to be #7? Maybe that would make a good time travel book or something.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Some of the small subcategories of e.g. historical fiction are very easy to get into. For example, I have a book that consistently lingers somewhere in the historical fiction --> Middle Eastern category, though it only sells a copy every couple of days. Ditto for historical fiction --> Russian. 

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
It's incredibly difficult to sell in Superhero due to the dingbat decision to put it in 'Fantasy' where no person who was at all familiar with superheroes woudl think to look for it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vaalingrade said:
It's incredibly difficult to sell in Superhero due to the dingbat decision to put it in 'Fantasy' where no person who was at all familiar with superheroes woudl think to look for it.
Isn't it hard to sell prose superheroes anyway though? When I think of superheroes, I go straight to comics and graphic novels.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
lacymarankevinmichael said:
Isn't it hard to sell prose superheroes anyway though? When I think of superheroes, I go straight to comics and graphic novels.
Not as hard as you think. As it turns out, the problem is more that more people don't want to read comic books. Superhero as a genre is one of if not the biggest webserial genre thanks to Worm, and it ebooks are following suit.

The problem is visibility. Most of the books doing well right now are coming off of existing success on the web or really good marketers. The 'walk-up', however, is TERRIBLE. It's incredibly difficult for people to stumble upon you. For example, in October, I did no promos. My Fantasy free downloads were three times my superhero ones.

The takeaway: it's a good genre for sales, but only if you're really good at the marketing thing.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi

Guinea Pig, currently ranked over all at 47,000:

#48 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Christian > Fantasy
#70 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy
#96 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Religious & Inspirational > Science Fiction & Fantasy

A couple of days ago Guinea Pig hit number seven in Christian Fantasy when it had an overall ranking of around 20,000. That was I think six or seven sales in a day.

Cheers, Greg.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
What about erotic romance/erotica male/male sci-fi? What would be the keywords for that? None of the sci-fi ones seem really suitable for what I have. It's set on an alien colony where humans have taken over, so it's not really alien invasion either  ;D

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I average about 20 sales per title per day in Sea Adventures. Currently #6 and #8, though both have been as high as #4. Making that top row will take about 50 per day.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Annette_g said:
What about erotic romance/erotica male/male sci-fi? What would be the keywords for that? None of the sci-fi ones seem really suitable for what I have. It's set on an alien colony where humans have taken over, so it's not really alien invasion either ;D
Where the colony is, humans are the aliens. So, yes, it's definitely alien invasion.....

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm a little confused how best to use this great research.
So, if you want to get listed in a sub genre that's not available on the KDP dashboard, must you have the general category selected and then the keyword?

For example, I choose two thriller categories but I also want to be in Literary Fiction/Action & Adventure.

Simply using "Action & Adventure" and/or "Literary Fiction" as keywords are not enough? I don't have to choose Literary Fiction to have access to all the sub genres?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.