Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there affected by the tornadoes from over the weekend or a few weeks ago? I guess if you were affected seriously, you might not be online.  Everyone out there in Kindleboard-land OK? 

I have a phobia about thunderstorms in general, and this weather has had me wanting to hide in a basement for the summer. So, I hope everyone is OK out there.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Crazy stuff. I live in StL, so on the other side of the state from Joplin so we were fine. I used to take my time heading down to the basement when we had a tornado warning. But tell you what, at least twice since Dec 31 we've had tornadoes tear up neighborhoods 20 mins from my home. So I haven't been in a wait-around mood anymore! Thankful for God's protection, for sure.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I lived in St. Louis for a time, as well.  I also went to college there.  One of the reasons I had to move back to Chicago was that the storms were SO bad in St. Louis.  I had a tornado go right over the office building I worked in once.  It was awful.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's absolutely horrifying to see those pictures and videos of Joplin. Almost surreal.

I'm about an hour SE of StL and thankfully we have been just on the southern edge of most of the bad storms and we are far enough away from the Mississippi that the flooding hasn't effected us. We have had to go to the basement a couple times though. Growing up in Kansas and living in Oklahoma between Tulsa and OKC as an adult, tornado sirens don't get me moving as fast as the should since I've heard them so many times without ever actually getting hit. I've been rethinking that lately. lol

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
It's true they didn't amount to much comparatively, but over the past few years I've felt two earthquakes in the Chicago 'burbs!!  One was on the 102nd anniversary of San Francisco earthquake -- April 18, 2008.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Jessica Billings said:
I have a friend in Tulsa and he said his car got all dented up by hail. Yikes!
A couple years ago, my car got beat up pretty bad by hail in Oklahoma City, while I was attending a writer's conference.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
The pictures and footage they are showing is just breaking my heart. Its just awful. I was near the Tornado that hit Jarrell, TX in 97, sitting in a Mobile home with no place to go.  After that I moved to Oklahoma and once again right in the middle of Tornado land. These things are scary.

It looks like apocalypse there. I just feel so bad for all the people that got killed and their families. As humans we are just so completely helpless there.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cannot recall a time when there has been this many tornadoes.  Then again, it may be selective memory.  I was alive, but very young, during the Super Outbreak of 1974.  I was around, but in St. Louis, when Plainfield, IL, got hit by a massive tornado in the 90s.

I can almost see why people who are so willing to believe in the end of the world might be thinking that the time is right for such a thing.  Between the volcancoes, floods, tornadoes and earthquakes as of late...it sure does seem like Mother Nature is really PO'd.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And I have also felt earthquakes...  One in St. Louis and one here in Chicago.  Both times they were small and over fast.  However, when I first went off to college in St. Louis in 1989, there was some crazy prediction that the New Madrid fault (the world's largest inland fault, by the way) was getting ready for a big one.  I remember thinking...this was not in the school's brochure!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I'm in the northwest corner of Missouri, and we had two hailstorms Saturday night. Looks like we're in severe thunderstorm alert area tonight. My heart goes out to the people in Joplin, as well as those in OK who are being hit hard by tornadoes tonight. We live in one of the aptly named parts of the boondocks called "Tornado Alley." I really dislike this time of year as far as storms are concerned.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I love thunderstorms!
That being said, I hate tornadoes. I've lived in Alaska and the PNW most of my life. I'll take earthquakes and volcanoes over tornadoes any day!
Best thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by the bad weather.
Nature doesn't play.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'm in Wisconsin now but used to live in Springfield Missouri (not far from Joplin). My parents are actually about 30 mins away from Joplin so I just about had a panic attack when I saw the damage and hadn't heard from my mom. Luckily they were alright but it's a part of living there. I was back for a visit in '08 when some tornado's happened. So there I am 8 months pregnant, hunched down in the shower with my little girl between me and my mom. Crying. I'm just lucky I didn't go into labor I guess. They actually passed over us. I could feel all the hairs on my body raise up. Still gives me the shivers.

So I thought I would post this since I actually just donated to the relief fund. USA Today posted various ways to donate.

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/mind-soul/doing-good/kindness/post/2011/05/how-to-help-victims-of-the-missouri-tornado/171501/1

Hope it's alright I post that. :)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Rose Gordon said:
I also live in Tulsa, and tonight we have (possible) tornadoes--if those annoying sirens would go off, I'd go to bed--but two night ago we had a HUGE hailstorm with hail the size of golf balls. My friend's windshield looks like a giant spiderweb.

This has been the week of severe weather here. The last three nights we've had severe thunderstorms with possible tornadoes.

Oh, the joys of living in Tornado Alley!
I live in the country 10 miles north of the town where the tornado sirens are located, and we have no way to know when they are sounded. It gets pretty scary when we're in tornado watches/warnings. I use a couple of apps on my iPhone and iPad that are supposed to alert me. Hope they work if the occasion arises when they are needed.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
Tornadoes tonight in Central Oklahoma, and several people killed, plus a little girl still missing.  They sent us home early from work to avoid people getting caught in traffic when the weather arrived during rush hour, which was wise--At least two people were killed in an auto accident attributed to rushing to get to shelter.  My area wasn't affected by the storm, only negative for me was an evening with the tv on continuously and with the tornado sirens blaring periodically.  But for some reason, after the storm was over and the sun had even come out as it was setting, the power in our building went off, and was off for ninety minutes!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I live on the south side of Oklahoma City.  Tornadoes to the west, tornadoes to the south and tornadoes to the east...We were surrounded by them (big ones, too!), but luckily suffered no damage.  Left work early to avoid heavy traffic and guess everyone else had the same idea because the traffic was horrendous!  Luckily, I got home before anything started.

Gotta love spring in Oklahoma!

Brenda

·
Registered
872 Posts
Unfortunately up close and personal experiences with tornadoes in America is far too common an occurrence. My most recent one was on April 27th, in east Tennessee, when an F1 landed in our back yard. Nobody was hurt, but the property was badly damaged by two huge trees being felled upon it. The result was a place that looked like a Tyrannosaur had taken bites out of it.

We had no electricity for three days following, and since plenty of others in our area got hit too, a huge backlog in clean up, insurance dealings, and reconstruction duties has left us and many others waiting for a long time to recover. We've not even been able yet to get ESTIMATES from construction companies on repairs.

One of the worst things about the event was its unpredictability and suddenness. I mean, sure, we'd been under a tornado watch for hours already, but at times in the summer this is a near daily occurrence, so you can't be cringing at full alert ALL the time.

Plus, in this instance there was absolutely nothing happening at all around us, all day, and into the evening. Yes, we were watching TV news about other people in the region getting huge hail and bad storms, but we had neither (not even a drop of rain). This is common here: that we see others in the region getting pelted, but nothing happens to us, or else everything weakens a whole lot by the time it gets to us.

But yes, we've had our share of bad storms over the decades here, too. At least 20-30 times storms which seemed a lot scarier than the actual tornado landing did.

This time though, nothing was happening for hours. Then, just as the TV news indicated that all the weather excitement might almost be over for us, a great rushing wind noise arose outside. The noise was identical to maybe 50-70 windstorm rackets I've experienced here over the years, so I didn't take particular alarm over it. And it was actually one of the briefest such events I can recall, lasting only around two minutes. Then after that it was gone, and it was sprinkling rain outside-- and the whole back of the house was covered in trees. I didn't even hear or feel the trees hit (I had heard/felt such things in past windstorms though).

I was amazed to see the damage afterward, from what had seemed like a particularly weak storm event, compared to previous ones.

News reports later indicated this F1 had been hopping and skipping for several miles across my county, and completely dissipated only maybe 300 yards beyond my location.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jeez, when I started this thread I was kind of hoping the tornadoes would be dying down as May drew to a close.  Then, I wake up, and find out three more states had them and nine more people were dead (so far).

And the tornado stories here are enough to keep me awake at nights.  I may write horror, but nothing terrifies me more than a tornado.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.