• No

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Possibly (undecided)

Votes: 15 26.8%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like a touch screen. I don't mind occasionally cleaning the screen either. I am somewhat digitally challenged too as I must type with one finger as my hands are a tad still paralyzed from GBS. So the touch screen would be a benefit to me. The small keyboard on my Kindle is quite the challenge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have absolutely no desire for a touchscreen.  Just what I need while trying read--fingerprints.  And no matter what they tell you there will be fingerprints or smudges.

·
5,935 Posts
I love my touchscreen iPad, but I don't want that in a Kindle. The fingerprints would drive me mad and having used both for reading I know I prefer the page turn buttons to the tapping / swiping of a touchscreen. I'm very glad to hear that although Amazon are getting into the tablet market they're also intending to keep producing a dedicated e-ink reader. I do hope they confine the touchscreens to the tablets.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I really don't get the concern with fingerprints - even with a backlit screen like my iPhone/iPad, I don't see the fingerprints when it's ON. I still read on my iPhone a lot and I use the iPad to read magazines - fingerprints never bother me while it's on. As for an eInk screen - I have, at times grabbed my Kindle and touched the screen, leaving fingerprints but I honestly don't even notice the prints until I tilt the Kindle at a very precise angle. When looking at it straight on while reading, I can not see the fingerprints at all.

The only reason I'm hesitant for a touch screen is because right now, the eInk screen doesn't feel like a "screen". It looks just like paper and ink to me and my only concern is that a touch screen will make it feel like a screen rather than paper and ink. But on the plus side, it would mean a larger screen for reading. I plan on taking advantage of Amazon's 30-day return policy so if I don't like the touch screen, I can return it and stick with my K3... of course this is assuming the next model will have a touch screen but I'm expecting it to.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Only if the touch screen worked within the web browser.  The new Nook doesn't even have a web browser anymore.  They got rid of it.  So I don't see a real reason for touching the screen just to choose a book on your home page.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The touch screen would make a lot of things easier. If I wanted to look up a word, I'd just point at it with my finger. (I wouldn't have to nudge-nudge-nudge the controller, and then nudge it again until it reaches a specific word.) I wonder if that's why the Nook is claiming it's got such a longer battery life. If you want to make a choice from a menu, you just touch that menu choice once -- instead of moving your controller through every other choice on the menu in order to reach it!

I've been playing a lot of games on my Kindle, and I'd love to see them adapted for a touch screen. Just for example, it's really painful to trade properties on a game of Monopoly. You have to nudge-nudge-nudge the controller to the specific property that you want to trade, and then nudge-nudge-nudge the controller again to reach the specific property that you'd like to acquire. It takes forever!

Plus -- and I'm being honest here -- it just seems cool! It seems less mechanical and more cutting-edge -- like something that a smartphone or an iPad would do. And of course, I think the Kindle is a better device than the Nook - so I hate the thought of the Nook offering something that the Kindle doesn't have!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm really excited to see the touchscreen devices. But now I'm wondering if it would start to bug me. ONe of the things I really like about my kindle is that if I tap it accidentally while I'm reading it doesn't mess anything up. With the smart phones and the ipad it seems like things are always moving.

But as always, I'm excited to see what Amazon comes up with next.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Assuming it'd still be eInk, no.  No touchy-touchy on my screen, thank you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got a Kindle 2, and I think of it as a one-handed device. If it had a touchscreen, then I'd probably have to hold it in one hand and poke at it with the other.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I would like a touch screen, yes...if it

A. Didn't blur the image AT ALL

B. Still had small buttons on the side for turning the page.  I DO NOT want to have to reposition every time I turn a page. 

·
Registered
701 Posts
A.D. Bloom said:
I've got a Kindle 2, and I think of it as a one-handed device. If it had a touchscreen, then I'd probably have to hold it in one hand and poke at it with the other.
I have always thought the same thing when considering a touchscreen eReader. I like my free hand to hold my glass of wine when I'm reading on my Kindle.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
EvilB said:
Would you like a touch screen on your kindle like the new nook and kobo (and also the old sony's) have?
"Old Sonys"? The new Sonys all have touch screens. Things move quickly in the tech world, but they just came out last September. ;)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Me and My Kindle said:
The touch screen would make a lot of things easier. If I wanted to look up a word, I'd just point at it with my finger. (I wouldn't have to nudge-nudge-nudge the controller, and then nudge it again until it reaches a specific word.) I wonder if that's why the Nook is claiming it's got such a longer battery life. If you want to make a choice from a menu, you just touch that menu choice once -- instead of moving your controller through every other choice on the menu in order to reach it!
The increased battery life for the Nook comes mostly from (1) losing that gosh-awful LCD touch panel and (2) the Pearl eInk screen, which also increased the K3's battery life over the K2.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Meemo said:
The increased battery life for the Nook comes mostly from (1) losing that gosh-awful LCD touch panel and (2) the Pearl eInk screen, which also increased the K3's battery life over the K2.
Both of those, and they changed how battery life is measured. Instead of using the same standard as Amazon and Kobo, they went with a "half hour of reading per day with the wireless off". Amazon noted that using the same metric, their battery would last 2 months too.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I'd have to see one to know whether or not I'd be happy with one. I'm going to drop by the local Barnes and Noble to have a look at the new Nook this weekend. It might be good, it might not.

Mike

·
Registered
592 Posts
laurie_lu said:
Only if the touch screen worked within the web browser. The new Nook doesn't even have a web browser anymore. They got rid of it.
So how does it work if you want to connect to public wi-fi somewhere that requires you to accept a terms of agreement or enter a password? ??? Wonder if there's something in the Nook operating system that addresses this...

I would definitely like to have a touch screen Kindle. In fact, if the next Kindle is e-ink with a touchscreen and has 3G, I believe it will be time for me to upgrade from my beloved K2i.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts