Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robbie O'Flaherty is an unemployed local actor collecting benefits in the fictional English city of Rossbury, Greater Manchester. At twenty-two, him and his mates drag themselves through their troubles in order to enjoy their three favourite things on the weekend: drinking, [expletive], and fighting. A day in his life is detailed in this novella that showcases the darkness and hidden romance of modern British life in a raunchy and gritty tale.

How does a poet at heart still become almost overwhelmingly blunt in delivery? Ryan Pollard draws on the spirit of the north-west to paint a beautifully detailed and painfully grim picture of British society with his nose for conflict and humour. Pollard describes his style as "realism... but with lust and pub fights."

More information will be released on Drink, [expletive], Fight during the week in celebration of Pollard's second published work.

Here is where you can buy it. It is only available in an e-book format.

Amazon US: $0.99
Amazon UK: £0.75
Amazon DE: €0.86
Smashwords: $0.99

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards and congratulations on your book!

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum. As such, self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, Betsy and Ann. Anyway, where was I?

It has almost been a year since I've released my first effort into the published literary world with To Dream of Foreign Nightmares. What have I taken from his first novel and used as motivation going forward?

MOTIVATED BY ANGER AND REGRET

I look back and think it's [To Dream of Foreign Nightmares] rubbish. I know that's not how one promotes their book, but I'd rather tell the truth and be honest with my readers. Everyone tells me the ending is great, and someone said the last quarter of the book is some of the best writing they have ever seen. I agree, that part was minted. I feel as if I let myself down in every other area of the book and it doesn't sit well with me.

I spent the months after digging into my poetry more, and working on a book that I nearly lost over technical malfunctions. Good thing my dad's a bloody genius and found it. I like where that book is going and I love how sick it gets. You won't see that with Drink, [expletive], Fight as much, but I really like it dark - both in art and in drink selection.

I had to get away from that book for a bit because I wanted to avoid the same mistake with Nightmares. That's why I jumped into this novella. I work better in short stories because I like to dance around the reader like a prizefighter before delivering a quick knockout in the second round.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I've sold a few of these bad boys. Big whoop. Anyway, this will be the last of these look-in's I'll be doing for this book. I'm doing these because you can't put them in a 140 character Tweet. :p

Robbie O'Flaherty is the main character in my look at modern England. What parts of my personality rub off and bring life to Robbie's?

I don't really want to say because it would ruin the magic. I'll just say that he's an Irish descendant in Greater Manchester, an out-of-work twenty-two year old actor and that he's struggling to not only discover the purpose of his own life, but in anything.

If I ever sat down with this character of mine for a pint, we would agree and disagree on some things. I won't say what exactly, but you'll have to read the story. You know, that thing I worked hard on and have been hyping up.

I don't believe in good guys or bad guys. In every day life, you can be someone's hero one minute, then walk down the street and be the bellend another person gripes about at the dinner table. I don't focus on making people good or bad because it's not my call. I make characters who resemble people I've crossed in life, and the reader has to decide for themselves. Too many people want to be told what to think. I just write stories.

Rossbury is a fictional city in Greater Manchester and is the home of Robbie O'Flaherty's swashbuckling tales of broken British society. Why did I put the story in a fictional city?

Because I could. I thought about putting it in Manchester, but I already did Nightmares in Manchester and it became too heavy with football bollocks. I wanted the place to be like Manchester, but I didn't want to feel too strongly about it incase I want Robbie to flip out and take a flame-thrower to the place.

Rossbury feels like Manchester in that it's tough, has good music and people love their football. It has a more suburban section though, and is about a quarter of Manchester's size. I live in Minneapolis now and wanted to blend the two places together so I could tell a story and to help get my feelings out easier since I wrote this on the spot and in the moment. Those two cities are the inspiration behind Rossbury.

Why would anybody want to name their story Drink, [expletive], Fight? What is in a name?

Because it sounds like a mental night out. I know the little old ladies won't like the title, but they definitely won't like the rest if the title upsets them!

A title should make the general idea clear. The general idea of the story is that there is a lot of drinking, [expletive], and fighting. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I'm not trying to shock people or say 'look at me.' This is my art and you can't change it. This novella gives the reader a look at 'Broken Britain,' and what do you see a lot on a Saturday night in your average British city? A lot of drinking, people fighting in the streets and birds getting shagged in back-alleys. If anything, the title is brilliantly fitting.

I'd like to think most people could handle it like worldly adults. I understand the title will turn as many people away as it will draw in, but I don't aim to please those who walk from it. If they're going to cry and throw their toys out of the pram, then I'm not the author for them.

If they opened their minds up and didn't let something as small as that sway them, they will be in for something. I think they would be taken in by a cracking story.

What is next for me?

I'm already writing the next Drink, [expletive], Fight and I'm looking to make it a series. I'll also get back to the novel I was working on and it will scare the bollocks off of people. There's another novel idea I'm about to get under way soon.

The next release will be a poetry compilation though. I feel that's my strongest area.

I expect to be written off, I must confess. I always expect to be written off. My style doesn't suit everyone and I won't change just to be Mr. Popular. If my style fit the mainstream, then we would see more Bicycle Thief and Shoot the Piano Player style of movies instead of all these rehashed plots.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Drink, Fuck, Fight - Volume 2

Robbie O'Flaherty's continued struggles with acting, unemployment, drinking, fighting, women, family, friends, and everything under the stars are documented in the second volume of this novella series.

He's hooked up with a job at Tesco and deals with all sorts of shifty characters who come in during his graveyard hours. Karaoke at The Mannered Hen goes terribly wrong, sordid scenes on Kerry Lane, some blood and humour make for a raunchy and gritty tale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.