KBoards.com banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just spent the past three months negotiating a deal with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (the John Joseph Adams/Mariner Books imprint) for the print and ebook rights to The Spaceship Next Door.

We spend a lot of time on this board asking ourselves what-we-would-do-if, so I thought you guys would find this interesting.

http://genedoucette.me/2018/03/the-next-logical-step/

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Congratulations! And I definitely think hybrid is a strong strategy for those who can manage it.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Puddleduck said:
That's great that you didn't have to give up audio. I've heard they're pretty hardcore about demanding that these days. I'm guessing the fact that you've already got an audiobook out there and it's doing well had something to do with that?
I think so, yeah. the audio sales are also really up there already.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Congrats, Gene! I can't wait to see where your journey takes you next!

·
Super Moderator
10,086 Posts
Huge congrats, Gene! :)

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Great blog post, Gene. Thanks for detailing your thought process.

And congratulations!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Good for you, mate. Can I also just say I really dig the new cover. Very clever how they've used the typeface to suggest a spaceship.

Wish you all the best!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I, too, enjoyed the blog post. Thanks for sharing your thought process. Congratulations! And good luck with the trad deal! Keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats! Hope it's everything wonderful for you  :)

In the dim and misty past before indie publishing, I heard a then-top agent say New York had a formula regarding hard cover to audio. For a hard cover book to be successful in audio, they needed audio sales to be about 4% of hard cover.  Maybe they're still using that number and working backwards?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Grats on the deal. I think it makes total sense that if you've gone as far as you can with marketing, to let a trad pub do their thing. Going wide and being in KU would be awesome! I hope your book sells tons more!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts