Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious.  If I put a kindle book onto a memory card, could I let someone "borrow" it to read?  Or is the book available only to the registered kindle?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I think someone mentioned that the file recognizes your kindle and won't show up on other kindles...I don't remember for sure. that was a post made a while back. If the other kindle is registered to the same account you can go to 'manage my kindle' on your Amazon account via computer and you download the same book without having to pay for another copy.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Let's say I have three K's on my account.  Could all three Kindle's be reading the same book at the same time?

And if we left the Washington DC train station the same time another train left the Reading PA station, would we all get to Grand Central Station at the same time?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
An Amazon purchased book can be read by any Kindle that is on a single account. You cannot share books with KIndles on another account.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
There can be up to six Kindles on a single account, and as Verena stated, they can all share books as long as they are on the same account.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The other Kindle should be able to read your book as long as whispernet is not activated. Once whispernet is open, it apparently checks your books and deletes any Amazon books that aren't yours.

Steve

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
KindleMom said:
And if we left the Washington DC train station the same time another train left the Reading PA station, would we all get to Grand Central Station at the same time?
It depends on what font you are using ;)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
stevene9 said:
The other Kindle should be able to read your book as long as whispernet is not activated. Once whispernet is open, it apparently checks your books and deletes any Amazon books that aren't yours.

Steve
Have you actually tried this to see if it works? One time I tried to copy my New York Times onto a SD, put it in my daughter's Kindle and opened it, and got a message that said something like, "We're sorry, you Kindle cannot open this content. Please contact customer service." No whispernet involved but it knew that the paper wasn't readable. I wonder if the same thing would happen with a book, especially if you put it on a "foreign" Kindle? (My daughter's Kindle is on my account.)

L

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Since I don't use whispernet at all, never turn it on, if someone wants to try this with me - but would there be a legal "copy" problem on this?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Leslie said:
Have you actually tried this to see if it works? One time I tried to copy my New York Times onto a SD, put it in my daughter's Kindle and opened it, and got a message that said something like, "We're sorry, you Kindle cannot open this content. Please contact customer service." No whispernet involved but it knew that the paper wasn't readable. I wonder if the same thing would happen with a book, especially if you put it on a "foreign" Kindle? (My daughter's Kindle is on my account.)
Subscriptions are different than books. They are valid for only one Kindle and cannot be shared among multiple units, even if they are registered to the same account.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
This won't work. I can't put Amazon Kindle books on an SD card from my Kindle and put it in my daughter's and read it, regardless if whispernet is on or off. I get that it's not available and to contact customer service. Kindle books are tied to the Kindle it's downloaded for. If you download to your computer, it asks which Kindle you're downloading for. If she wants it, she has to download it to her own kindle either via computer or whispernet.

I discovered this when my Kindle died and I got a repleacement. I had all of my books backed up on an SD card. The samples and my own files transferred fine. All the books from Amazon had to be downloaded to the new Kindle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
This won't work. I can't put Amazon Kindle books on an SD card from my Kindle and put it in my daughter's and read it, regardless if whispernet is on or off. I get that it's not available and to contact customer service. Kindle books are tied to the Kindle it's downloaded for. If you download to your computer, it asks which Kindle you're downloading for. If she wants it, she has to download it to her own kindle either via computer or whispernet.

I discovered this when my Kindle died and I got a repleacement. I had all of my books backed up on an SD card. The samples and my own files transferred fine. All the books from Amazon had to be downloaded to the new Kindle.
Thanks for confirming this. This is what I suspected. The SD card sharing is not a workaround, regardless of Whispernet.

L

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
This won't work. I can't put Amazon Kindle books on an SD card from my Kindle and put it in my daughter's and read it, regardless if whispernet is on or off.
That's interesting. I brought it up because I returned a book to Amazon that wasn't what I wanted. It disappeared from my Kindle. I tried an experiment. I had a copy of the book on my hard drive so I copied it over (USB) and turned off whispernet. It was not deleted and was fully usable until I turned on whispernet and it then disappeared again. So I guess there musty be something else going on here.

Steve

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
stevene9 said:
That's interesting. I brought it up because I returned a book to Amazon that wasn't what I wanted. It disappeared from my Kindle. I tried an experiment. I had a copy of the book on my hard drive so I copied it over (USB) and turned off whispernet. It was not deleted and was fully usable until I turned on whispernet and it then disappeared again. So I guess there musty be something else going on here.

Steve
But the book was originally assigned to your kindle and you were reading it on your kindle, right? Even after it had been deleted at Amazon?

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The serial number of your Kindle is hiding somewhere in the metadata of the book. If the serial numbers don't match, the file will not open.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
stevene9 said:

Steve
I think that's different. That book was already on THAT Kindle, correct? It was downloaded for that particular Kindle. Amazon removes it because you've returned it. If you put it back on there again (such as you did) once Whispernet is on there, Amazon will remove it again because they know you've returned it.

In this instance, there's a book that hasn't been returned that's been downloaded to Kindle A and is trying to be read on Kindle B. Kindle B won't allow access to it because it wasn't downloaded for the particular Kindle. It won't be deleted at least that I've seen, but you can't open it anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

It's kinda confusing and I don't always have a good idea of why or how Amazon is doing this, but I'm getting a good idea of what can and can't be done.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
It's DRM. Digital Rights Management. Just like on MP3s and DVDs. To keep you from copying and selling/giving away content. So the artists and authors and publishers get their share.
That much I know. It's more of the why can I do this but not this. Why do they take these books off, but leave these on, even though they can't be opened.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts