Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:'( Tragedy has struck.  My son has broken his KK.  He left it on his bed and after baseball practice he tossed his bat on the bed and even though he had the cover on it still broke the screen.  Since we bought his second hand the KK was past its warranty period.  Only option would be to get a non-warranty replacement for $180.  Not going to do it.  Maybe this tragedy will teach him not to place delicate electronic gadgets any where near harms way.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
thejackylking #884 said:
:'( Tragedy has struck. My son has broken his KK. He left it on his bed and after baseball practice he tossed his bat on the bed and even though he had the cover on it still broke the screen. Since we bought his second hand the KK was past its warranty period. Only option would be to get a non-warranty replacement for $180. Not going to do it. Maybe this tragedy will teach him not to place delicate electronic gadgets any where near harms way.
Sorry about your son's misfortune. You might want to consider the price that the $180.00 replacement could fetch.

·
Registered
607 Posts
How old is your son?  I'm thinking if he is anywhere near working age he should earn the money for the replacement.  Whether you guys pay him for doing extra jobs or him going out and getting gainfully employed, or he just starts saving up a portion of his allowance.

I completely agree you guys shouldn't just run out and replace.  He does need to learn to be careful with his belongings (not to mention learn the value of the dollar, which no one really gets until on his/her own). 

Lara Amber 

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is fifteen.  He bought this kindle with birthday and christmas money.  He has already said that he is going to save up his money for a new kindle 2.  He is looking for a summer job and he plans on saving his allowance until he can afford it.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
That's a tragedy but you're doing the right thing, JK.

Apparently, some people have been buying broken Kindles, I think for parts.  He might put it on eBay, as is, to get his seed money for the new Kindle.  If it doesn't sell, he's out nothing.

Betsy

·
Registered
229 Posts
thejackylking #884 said:
He is fifteen. He bought this kindle with birthday and christmas money. He has already said that he is going to save up his money for a new kindle 2. He is looking for a summer job and he plans on saving his allowance until he can afford it.
Good solution! After we bought our son the Nintendo game cube we said NO more video consols. So he saved his money to buy an X-Box 360. When it threw an E74 error - which is happening quite frequently right now - I paid for the repair. Eldest son broke his Nintendo DS and I won't buy him a new one.

That is the only way, I think that they learn to be careful with expensive electronics is if they have some ownership in the thing.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Some people are also buying the broken Kindles so they can get a refurb from Amazon for the $180 price

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think we just might go ahead and post it then.  It will at least get him a head start on the cost of a new one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
How awesome that your 15-year-old cares so much about reading that a new Kindle is an object of desire.  The JackylKingdom is apparently an enlightened one.  Congratulations.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's unfortunate and I guess your son has a lot to learn and is learning well the values of things. Just guide him well and see if you can find a replacement for the screen. But the K2 is a good motivation for him.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'd loan him the money, better him home and reading than being home (or out) and bored.  He can learn the value of things that way also.

Tessa

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
tessa said:
I'd loan him the money, better him home and reading than being home (or out) and bored. He can learn the value of things that way also.

Tessa
And if you really want to help him get used to the real world, loan it with interest. LOL

;D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wow, Sarge, My sister of thirteen dropped Eros. Albeit on the bed, but she dropped him. She is now barred to DTB's untill she learns that my Kindle cost more than the hospital bill for her being born. >>

·
Registered
545 Posts
thejackylking #884 said:
:'( Tragedy has struck. My son has broken his KK. He left it on his bed and after baseball practice he tossed his bat on the bed and even though he had the cover on it still broke the screen. Since we bought his second hand the KK was past its warranty period. Only option would be to get a non-warranty replacement for $180. Not going to do it. Maybe this tragedy will teach him not to place delicate electronic gadgets any where near harms way.
While I am sorry for your son, I applaud your parenting all the way around. I have 3 kids myself and I know how hard it is to see something like that happen to your child's possession that they paid for with their birthday/holiday cash. I'm sure it broke your heart too. However, the only way they learn is through the effort it costs them to acquire and keep their prized possessions.

Good job.

EllenR

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's to funny. :D  Definitely make sure she doesn't get around EROS again.  Soon you'll have a knight in shining armor to guard your precious treasure though. ;D

·
Registered
138 Posts
thejackylking #884 said:
That's to funny. :D Definitely make sure she doesn't get around EROS again. Soon you'll have a knight in shining armor to guard your precious treasure though. ;D
Wow, you made me blush lol. ^_^;;; Anyway, yeah, I say get the boy the K2 and make him earn it. Don't let him have it, but make him earn it like stripes. as a Bratt, he should know better.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
OOPS you really scared me with the title - it's bad enough that he broke it, but glad you are going to see what he can get out of it.  Sounds to me as if you are doing a good job with your kid(s)(more than 1?)

Take good care of the Knight though LNS needs all the help she can get apparently  :-\

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anju No. 469 said:
OOPS you really scared me with the title - it's bad enough that he broke it, but glad you are going to see what he can get out of it. Sounds to me as if you are doing a good job with your kid(s)(more than 1?)

Take good care of the Knight though LNS needs all the help she can get apparently :-\
....o_O?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
OOPs that didn't come out just right did it - I mean protecting your kindle?  How does that sound?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts