Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first Kindle (K2) a week ago and love it.  My wife is getting interested in one too.  I know I wouldn't be able to download a book I already bought to her K2 from the the Kindle Store, but can I transfer it from my K2 through the computer to hers?

·
Registered
947 Posts
No, when the books are transmitted from Amazon, they're locked to the Kindle they're being sent to.  You have to request a version compatible with the new Kindle through "Manage My Kindle" in your account center.  They can be delivered via Whispernet or to your computer to be transferred via USB.  Only takes a second per book.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Christinac130 said:
I thought you were allowed to register up to 6 Kindles on one account ???
Yes, this is correct. In fact, with the iPhone app, you can now have more than 6 devices on one account (I have seven) but you can only share a book six times.

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
If you check the Archive on the new Kindle, all of the books you have already purchased on that account will appear there for download via WhisperNet.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Christinac130 said:
I thought you were allowed to register up to 6 Kindles on one account ???
You can, and you can individually request your books to be sent to any Kindle on your account at any time. You can NOT, however, copy the file off of one Kindle to your computer, then onto another Kindle. It won't open, because the file is keyed to the serial number of the Kindle it was originally delivered to.

·
Super Moderator
67,560 Posts
mikefox said:
Got my first Kindle (K2) a week ago and love it. My wife is getting interested in one too. I know I wouldn't be able to download a book I already bought to her K2 from the the Kindle Store, but can I transfer it from my K2 through the computer to hers?
To clarify: If you bought a book you can have it on up to 6 devices. So If you have downloaded it to your Kindle you can still go to Amazon and download it to hers. You can not copy it from yours and try to load it to hers through your computer. Each download copy becomes keyed to a particular device.

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
To clarify: If you bought a book you can have it on up to 6 devices. So If you have downloaded it to your Kindle you can still go to Amazon and download it to hers. You can not copy it from yours and try to load it to hers through your computer. Each download copy becomes keyed to a particular device.

Ann
Right. And it appears that a book is limited to 6 "shares." So once you have shared it 6 times, that's it. Even if you remove it from a device, you don't get that license back.

I know that Luvmy4brats is dealing with this but hers seems to be a special circumstance -- she has books that were shared on Kindles that eventually became defective and had to be returned. So she is working with Amazon to get those licenses back. For me, this situation doesn't apply since (knock wood) I haven't had to return a Kindle yet.

L

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Yep. Here's what Amazon Customer Service had to say last night on this:

Amazon.com Customer Service post for 3/09/2009:

Kindle License Limits
The licenses associated with most books and other non-subscription content purchased from the Kindle Store allow you to download and view each item for your personal use on up to six Kindles registered to your Amazon.com account. Each download to a Kindle, iPhone, or iPod Touch counts as one of those (up to) six devices. Once you've reached the limit, the title(s) will need to be purchased a second time to download to further devices.

In cases of this license limit being reached due to warranty replacements or other exceptional circumstances, Customer Service can free licenses used by devices no longer accessible.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I hope this is something that Amazon will deal with - I can see myself over the years going over the 6 Kindle limit - and since some of the books on my Kindle are ones I loved and I bought them twice so I could have them on m Kindle I will be  ticked if they expect me to buy them a third time ... I hope they realize and make this so if you de-register Kindle it frees you up for new Kindles. 

Also since they opened it up to iPhones and iTouch and those get replaced quite often I think this is something they are going to run into pretty quickly. 

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand.  If my wife's K2 is registered in my account, there's no problem downloading the same book to both K2s and it is a legal transfer.

However, can the same book purchase be on 2 kindles if I have my Kindle account, and my wife has hers?

It seems to me that I might be able to transfer the book to my computer and then from my computer to her K2.  This becomes 2 questions.  Will the transfer work, or is there a software/firmware control to stop the transfer?  If the transfer does work, is it legal?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
mikefox said:
I understand. If my wife's K2 is registered in my account, there's no problem downloading the same book to both K2s and it is a legal transfer.
Correct.

However, can the same book purchase be on 2 kindles if I have my Kindle account, and my wife has hers?
Yes...and again, Luv has done this quite a bit, as she registers her Kindle to her husband's account for her more "adult" reading and to her account (which she shares with her daughter) for the rest of her library.

It seems to me that I might be able to transfer the book to my computer and then from my computer to her K2. This becomes 2 questions. Will the transfer work, or is there a software/firmware control to stop the transfer? If the transfer does work, is it legal?
When you download the book to your computer, it will ask you which Kindle you are downloading it for. If you transfer to the Kindle that you named, then the book will open fine. But if you try to transfer to a different Kindle, you'll get a message that the book can't be opened and to contact customer service.

As long as you are transferring books to Kindles that are on your account, you are "legal" and within the terms of the customer service agreement with Amazon. Copying files to an SD card (for the K1) and giving the card to a friend isn't legal and besides, the books won't open, anyway.

L

1 - 13 of 13 Posts