Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am waiting to get my new K1 power supplies from Amazon, I found a travel charger I had bought when I first got the K. My wife's K was low so I plugged it in using this travel charger for a couple of hours. She grabbed it before she left for the train without looking at it. Then I plugged mine in to charge. An hour later I get a call from her saying her K, which was half charged when we plugged it in, was now almost empty when she pulled it out of sleep. I went over to my K, which had been 75% charged when I plugged it in about an hour ago - it was now at about 15% charge. Has anyone ever heard of a charger that can discharge a battery?
The Kindle Gods are starting to p*ss me off!

Steve

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
stevene9 said:
Has anyone ever heard of a charger that can discharge a battery?
A lot of chargers used to do this, when it was better for the life of the batteries to drain them first before recharging them... Some even had different colored lights to let you know when they were discharging vs. charging.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pidgeon92 said:
A lot of chargers used to do this, when it was better for the life of the batteries to drain them first before recharging them... Some even had different colored lights to let you know when they were discharging vs. charging.
But this was a Kindle travel charger bought about 6 months ago. Does anyone else have a travel charger?

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I have the iGo and used it to charge my Kindle (1) on my recent trip to Florida.  It worked just fine as far as I could tell. . .

Ann

·
Registered
463 Posts
The K1 must be turned completely off to charge via USB, otherwise it uses more power than it takes in (some report that using a higher power charger can work, but that may also burn out the USB port). It is only designed to trickle charge via USB (and it can take over 24 hours).

If it was a regular charger, it's possible that it has gone bad. Does the charging light come on for the Kindle?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Yes, make sure the light is on, on the Kindle.  We did have some members in the early days plug the charger into the earphone hole by mistake.  Charging does not occur in that case.  ::)  I make sure the light comes on, I know I've put it in the right place.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Betsy the Quilter said:
Yes, make sure the light is on, on the Kindle. We did have some members in the early days plug the charger into the earphone hole by mistake. Charging does not occur in that case. ::) I make sure the light comes on, I know I've put it in the right place.

Betsy
When I plugged it in the light went on. When I went back an hour or so later the light was flashing and the battery had discharged. I don't remember seeing the light flash before. Has anyone else had this.

Steve

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Which charger is this? Do you have a link?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Toss it out before it does any damage to the battery.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I think we should change the subject to reflect the charger description as this is important information and some might miss it.

Toss the charger.  What a shame!

I would recommend you also post a review on Amazon.  It will help others to not make this error.

Betsy

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm going to echo everyone's opinion of "toss it out!"; it's obviously doing more harm than good, and I can't imagine a new charger costing too much.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have tossed it out and have written a review on the Amazon site. Unfortunately the earliest review was posted 2 weeks after I ordered mine. If I had read those reviews I never would have purchased it. Hopefully my review will help reinforce other people's decisions to stay away.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
This is such a shame, Stevene! I'm also going to post this information in Accessories.

Here is the bad charger again:

Replacement Home Travel Power Adapter Charger for Amazon Kindle Electronic Book Reading Device by iKross.

To anyone coming late to this thread: every review is terrible and you can read more about a member's experience elsewhere in this thread.

Betsy

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I also went with the i

go charger and like it a lot. works on my K and my razr phone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I'm really sorry to hear about this. You're not having much luck with chargers right now are you? :(

I have an iGo and it works great. I highly recommend them. I have tips for K1, K2, iphone/ipod, and RAZR. I even have a splitter so I can charge 2 devices at once.
Thanks for this tip... now i can have only one charger for some or all of my devices...

I just cant think why amazon have not tested this with their charger?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I don't understand the picture. That looks like the regular charger that came with the Kindle. How can they call that a travel charger? Steve, is that what yours looked like?

L

·
Registered
117 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts