Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I am, like most Kindleboards people I'm sure, a voracious reader. I used to read the entire Philadelphia Inquirer every day, and the New York Times every day I could get my hands on one -- back in the days before I was a mother of three with an out-of-the-home job as well! It's probably been ten years since I have read the newspaper with any regularity at all, though my mom teases me because whenever we go to my parents' house for dinner (probably about every two weeks) I pick up whatever newspaper is lying around and greedily suck it in when I'm "supposed to be" socializing with my mother of course :)

So yesterday being Mothers' Day and all, I decided to take a chance -- and I bought myself the Sunday issue of the Inky for the outrageously low price of $0.50 ;) I have to say, I was surprised at how wonderful the Kindle edition of the paper is! I can not tell you how happy it made me feel to be able to:

-skip immediately to the next article without flipping back a gazillion pages
-review the available articles in list form
-read to my heart's content without getting my fingers dirty
-use the dictionary to explain arcane sports terminology without having to ask someone and get laughed at
-be able to skip from section to section at the flip of the controller instead of fumbling with stacks of paper

Honestly, I love the Kindle newspaper experience. I should probably write a review on amazon. I was just seriously so happy. I don't think I'm going to subscribe because I just wouldn't have time to read all the papers, but I will definitely be buying occasional issues now and then. I never thought I would enjoy it this much! I have a lot of emotional luggage associated with newspapers. When I was little I would read the papers with my grandfather - he would spread all the English language ones all over the living room floor and I would lie on my stomach and go from section to section and read them and sometimes take him a page I thought he would be interested in while he sat in his chair and read his German papers. So I thought maybe I would miss the feeling of the actual paper but you know what? I still think of my grandfather when I'm reading the paper on the Kindle. I don't need the actual newsprint. So there.

:)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Webhill,

Thanks for that review! I subscribed to the NY Times for about 6 months (prior to the election) and devoured the paper every day. Then, after the election, I got busy with other stuff and didn't read it as much as I was before. Even so, I'll still buy the occasional Sunday issue and I really enjoy it.

I am curious about magazines. I haven't looked at any of those.

L

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah...the kindle edition of newspapers and magazines are nice. I love the ability of reading an article without having to jump around to find where an article continues. Also, not seeing one single advertisement is refreshing! Not sure how long that will last though. Dave

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I, too, like not having the ads. Do miss the comics, but I can always check them out on line. I read through the Washington Post pretty much everyday. . .don't read every article. . .but at least get a kind of feel for what's going on in the world.

I have subscriptions to The Week and The Atlantic. The Week isn't available on Kindle yet; Atlantic is, but my paper subscription has a while to go. I'm thinking I'll move to Kindle when it expires. Or maybe not. .the ads in Atlantic are frequently more interesting than in some more 'ordinary' publications. I also get BookMarks which I would consider in Kindle format too. DH gets all his computer magazines. . .I don't know that they'd work well because there are usually a lot of drawings. . .but maybe with the new DX they'd look better.

Ann

·
Registered
172 Posts
I loved reading the paper on the Kindle. My big problem: My local paper isn't on board yet. I heard the editor of the local paper talking about how they are in negotiations with Amazon to offer a Kindle subscription. If it happens, I'll drop my print subscription for an Amazon one.

I used to read many, many newspapers each day. (3-4.) With the constant deluge of news via the internet, now I'm mostly just interested in local stories and sports from the paper. So the national options aren't as attractive as the local paper.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That was a very comprehensive review. I am subscribing to the NY Times and love the format of not flipping the  pages to continue the story. But i still buy the Sunday paper as I love to read the ads and other stuff not in the Kindle.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I checked this morning after reading this thread and the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is now available.  I bought a copy today.  I was pleasantly surprised that the number of newspapers available has doubled in the last few months.  Still many to go, but hey, they have Pittsburgh.  I'm happy.
deb

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
That's great, Webhill.  I'm excited to see the reviews of the DX.  The newspaper experience on that looks quite nice too and just may get me to bite and buy it provided it doesn't have the light text and fading issues of the K2.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've been getting my morning dose of the NY Times on my K since 1/08. It is the height of convenience to say nothing of fiscal prudence ($13.99 vs $60 monthly).
I was thrilled to discover that reading it on K2 was an even better experience than on the K. On the K2 it is easy to jump from section to section and easy to access headlines of articles within the sections. Being able to enlarge pictures is a nice addition.
I am thoroughly spoiled.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
^^Wow!  At that rate of savings the Kindle paid for itself in 8 months.
That's great.
deb

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I tried the NYT a few months ago. It was nice to be able to go directly to the section you wanted, but article navigation left something to be desired, especially getting back to the section header after reading 1 article. I'd rather read the it online or in it's printed format. 

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Shortly after I got my K2 I downloaded the then current copy of TIME magazine, which I happened to have at home already in paper.  I found that the text articles were (except misteriously for one) all there and actually seemed to read faster.  But. There is a lot of graphics in TIME and all that was gone. At least for that issue there were NO pics or charts at all. And that creates a problem because there are parts of the magazine that are based upon using grahics to convey information.  Not there.
Hopefully it is either already better or will get better.
The same was true for a copy of USA Today that I downloaded.  Again a paper that depends upon color and graphics to get its points across.
Just sayin......

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I started getting the Washington Post last summer.  Initially, there were basically no pictures.  At some point they started adding some for some stories.  Still no charts or anything. . . .Geoff I've had the same thought about TIME.

As to navigation, I usually go through the articles on the main menu -- what you get when you first open the paper.  You can see the headline and two or three lines of the article.  I can click it, read as much of it as I want, and then click BACK and I'm back to where I left off. 

I would like to know if they'd be able to do more with charts and such on the DX.  But then, I also wonder if they'd bother with two 'versions' of a given publication -- one optimized for Kindle and one optimized for Kindle DX

Ann

·
Registered
286 Posts
I read the New York Times, Washington Post, Le Monde (occasionally), and Corriere della sera (occasionally too) on Sundays. It gives me time to read articles (William Safire's columns are my favorite) it through the entire week. I'll go online for any up-to-date information.

I am, however, The New Yorker faithful. That is one magazine I can't let go of, and when it was advertised for the Kindle, I got ecstatic! I'm glad they at least have the cover's image in display. The cartoons are a plus as well. Hey, it's better than nothing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts