Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went & saw one tonight & I'm impressed. Didn't see PDF on it since they didn't have any on it. I had to show the person at the display how to do some of it but I knew only because I have a Sony 350 & it is very similar.

It does have highlighting, a dictionary (but only 1 that I could see) & very easy page turns either with the buttons, swipe or tap. It also has shelves.

I liked the way it looked a whole lot better than the pictures show & it feels good in my hands.

It doesn't have the dictionary choices that the Sony has & you can't take notes. But that is not an issue for many readers. I forgot to check for bookmarking though. Can't imagine it wouldn't have it though.

Where it is better than the Sony is in the contrast. The background is not as grey as the Sony pearl screen. I took out my Sony to compare. It also has more font choices & the font sizes are better.

All in all I'm tempted but I can't justify another reader since I have Nook Classic, Kindle3 & Sony 350.

I don't think anyone getting one will be disappointed as long as they realize it isn't a Nook Classic or Kindle3. Both are very good readers. The New Nook is just a pared down down reader but it has many pluses going for it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how I would know that from just trying it at B&N. But I'm sure it won't be long before it can be done if you can't now. Most people haven't got theirs yet. My B&N will have them at the store no later than Monday but they think morel than likely this weekend.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I want to preface my comments by saying I love my Kindle 3.  I also love Amazon's service because ive gotten multiple replacements even when I dropped the Kindle.  My Kindle goes everywhere with me and ive bought over 60 books since November.

The new Nook (not sure the real name ha) looks terrible in pictures.  I looks stubby for lack of a more descriptive term.  I decided to visit my local B&N Sunday afternoon to see if they had a demo but the store was packed. It looked like they were selling them too because I counted no less than 10 in use in the store during my visit.  Luckily demo unit opened up so I was able to use it for about 15 minutes.

The pictures do not do it justice.  It looks amazing and feels even better (soft rubber coating) in your hands.  It is so lightweight, but has the same great Kindle 3 screen.  The unit feels fast and the page refreshes were pretty amazing.  I had no issues with the touchscreen but it also had page turn buttons which is a huge plus for those who dont want to touch the screen.  In short, if I can find a way to get my Kindle books on this machine I will be buying it tomorrow.  I LOVE the new Nook.  It really puts the Kindle 3 build quality (oxymoron I know) to shame and makes it feel like a 2-3 year old device. 

I can only hope Amazon updates the Kindle 3 to mirror this unit (and the new Kobo).  I am amazed and I honestly did not think I would be!

G

·
I bought the Nook Color for my husband last year.

I can't say this enough.  It is a LOVELY device.

DO. NOT. BUY. IT.

You will be whimpering in a ball trying to get their bloody website to cooperate.  He stopped bothering after about two months.  He borrows my Kindle, even though it's easier to navigate for him (he has huge hands) on the Nook.

A lovely device is the ultimate definition of useless if one can't USE it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
(I believe this thread is about the Nook Touch, not the Color)

I was at B&N today...for form factor, they nailed it as far as I am concerned.   I loved the size and the feel of holding it.   There were times where it seemed like it took a couple of taps/swipes to get the page turning going.  I wondered if it was the unit I was trying so I tried another unit with the same results.   That being said, it could be that I am just used to the sensitivity of my Sony.  If I didn't have and still love my PRS-650, I would definitely be considering a new Nook.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was just over at MobileRead and saw that the Nook Touch has 1-in-6 refresh rate which probably explains the periodic stall in page turns...this wouldn't be a problem under normal reading conditions as one wouldn't be turning pages so quickly.  That being said some are reporting a ghosting issue that might be related (which hopefully B&N can fix with a firmware update)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I dropped by B&N and played with the Nook Touch.

In real life the bezel doesn't look as wide as it does in pictures.  It is extremely light weight.  The easiest way to turn a page is to touch the screen on the side.  When I did a page swipe that only worked about a third of the time.  I really like the fast page turn, it would be very handy in a reference book or trying to find your spot.  The demo model I used did have ghosting but not enough to be bothersome, I personally prefer refreshing after every page.  The touchscreen was very response.

I couldn't find a back button and when I left my place in a book to check out the table of contents I couldn't find an easy way to get back to where I was.  Bookmarking is a breeze, touch the upper right corner to add or take away bookmarks.  The "clear all bookmarks" makes me nervous, it looks too easy to accidentally wipe them all out.  Maybe there is a screen to cancel or accept that command, I didn't try it.  Once I got the hang of highlighting it was easy to do.  The dictionary takes to two screen hits, one on the word and then the dictionary pop up button at the bottom.

What really surprised me where the fingerprints.  I have looked at Sony Touchscreen demos and have not noticed fingerprints and was expecting the same with the Nook.  They were on the Nook and were noticeable when reading a page. 

The Nook Touch doesn't have a web browser, music, audio books or any apps, and I would miss those.  Overall what I really like about the new Nook is how light it is and the fast page turn feature.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
oliewankanobe said:
I bought the Nook Color for my husband last year.

I can't say this enough. It is a LOVELY device.

DO. NOT. BUY. IT.

You will be whimpering in a ball trying to get their bloody website to cooperate. He stopped bothering after about two months. He borrows my Kindle, even though it's easier to navigate for him (he has huge hands) on the Nook.

A lovely device is the ultimate definition of useless if one can't USE it.
Could you explain what you mean by not getting the website to cooperate? Does this mean he had trouble downloading purchased books from their website? Once the books are on the NC, I don't see where there would be any problem reading on it. I never had any trouble getting the (few) free Nook Books I have on my original Nook. (I'm not a Nook fan and hardly use mine, but I want to understand what the problem is here.)

·
Registered
92 Posts
My n2e arrived today...it is sitting on my desk and charging.

First impressions:

1. As reported previously the device is not quite as "squarish" as the pictures portray. It is extraordinarily light and feels very comfortable. Barnes & Noble clearly did some ergonomics homework on this one.

2. I have dragged my finger all over the touchscreen. There is not a trace of a fingerprint, even when holding it at an angle in the sunlight pouring through my window.

3. The mechanical page turn buttons are very stiff. Probably so you don't accidentally turn the page while holding the device. You really need to give the buttons a firm push. Luckily I'll be using the touch screen for 99.99% of my page turns, so this is a non issue for me.

4. The power button is a bit wonky. It on the back of the unit, and it took me a few tries to figure out how to use it. I couldn't tell whether I needed to push it from the top or the back. I'm also unsure as to how easy access to the power button will be in a case.

Now I haven't read a single page other than the user agreement (no wi-fi at work), so I can't speak to the functionality as of yet but my overall impression thus far is that this is a very aesthetically pleasing and ergonomically correct device and looks sleeker than any other e-reader I've seen. I daresay even the most harsh of critics thus far would be able to write off this device one they actually see one and hold it in their hands.

G

·
He rarely got the thing to connect and only bothered to download books for the first few weeks before giving up.

I just ordered him a Kindle Special offers.

If you actually hang out at a BN cafe for an afternoon and eavesdrop on the Nook sales area you will hear all-day-all-night owners coming in insisting they want a new Nook or that it needs service, etc.  They often won't connect and when they do the website is CONSTANTLY buggy.

Like I said, it's not the device, it's the SERVICE.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
I haven't had any trouble at all using my Nook Color or the Nook app to order and download books from the Nook website.  I'm still an Amazon fanboy rather than a Nookie lover, though!  And no interest in any eInk Nook.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I post this reply with the caveat that I am, and probably always will be, a Kindle owner.

Raw curiosity encouraged me to go look at the new Nook. I wasn't going to buy it, the price of the device itself is nominal compared to the money I have invested in books, so switching isn't an option at all. No way, no how.

But still, I needed to know what the Nook was giving buyers that Kindle wasn't.

The first striking and really important difference is the size. The device is so petite and well proportioned, it's not boxy and fit well in my hands, it was comfortable. Compared to the Kindle, this is awesome. The Kindle, thanks in part to the keyboard, is long. This is something I hope Amazon takes away from the new Nook and uses in future designs of the Kindle. Of course, losing the keyboard would also mean Kindle would have to be touch screen...which leads me to my next point.

I actually brought my Kindle along for the ride, and wanted to honestly compare the two devices side by side. Both the Nook and Kindle now use Pearl eInk, which in my opinion, is far superior to any eInk predecessor. However, the touch screen technology on the Nook detracts just enough from the crisp font to be noticeable. It's not awful, but the screen on the new Nook isn't as tight as the screen on the Kindle. So, while the design of the Nook is super amazing and very cutting edge, the quality of the screen is just lacking enough to make me think twice about really wanting touch screen in a future device. However, with that said, this is something, overtime and without a side by side, I could get used to. All things considered it's really no worse than the eInk of the Kindle 2 visually speaking--and the K2 wasn't bad at all.

The page turns were strange. I don't know if thats part of the new refresh system Nook is implementing now or me being a creature of habit.

The touch screen, in and of itself, was quick and relativity sensitive. I remember trying the touch Sony a while back and having to actually "press" the screen with some effort to have my movement read by the device, this was not so on the Nook. If Amazon were take the touch technology, I would hope they would liken themselves to Apple. Similar to an iPad or iPhone or Touch, a pressure free, heat sensitive touch.

Kindle offers a lot of things, like the web browsing and what not, that B&N doesn't. That's okay. An eReader isn't a netbook or tablet. Most people who own an eReader are the same people who eat technology up with a spoon and probably don't need their Reader to function as anything but. However, if someone does **need** the bells and whistles, the Nook is way to dedicated for them.

All in all, the new Nook is leaps and bounds better than the older Nook model. It's a great design and the price point is really fair for what the buyer is getting. I can say with certainty that B&N has put themselves back in the competition. I felt that as of late, all B&N was really pumping was the Color...but now they have a real competitor when it comes to the classic. Amazon is going to have to pull out all the stops when releasing the K4 to make themselves, once again, leader of the pack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my hands on the Nook Touch today and as has been mentioned was immediately struck by the ergonomics. The photos and YouTube videos make it look much clunkier and the bezel wider and my first impression was that it was ugly.  In person it is beautiful and perfectly sized. I am not sure why the bezel appears so wide in media but it's like a different device in the flesh.

If it had free 3G I would have bought it today.  I am waiting to see if the next Kindle matches up but so far the only thing that's stalling me is the 3G.  I was considering a Kobo Touch as I had dismissed the Nook out of hand but now see that was a mistake.  If Kindle comes out with a competitor soon, and it has 3G, I would tip that way. But if they don't meet this with a similar device I will likely get a Nook or Kobo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Italiahaircolor said:
I actually brought my Kindle along for the ride, and wanted to honestly compare the two devices side by side.
I attempted to duplicate your research by comparing my wife's K3 and my Nook ST in a similar side by side comparison.

Both the Nook and Kindle now use Pearl eInk, which in my opinion, is far superior to any eInk predecessor. However, the touch screen technology on the Nook detracts just enough from the crisp font to be noticeable. It's not awful, but the screen on the new Nook isn't as tight as the screen on the Kindle. So, while the design of the Nook is super amazing and very cutting edge, the quality of the screen is just lacking enough to make me think twice about really wanting touch screen in a future device. However, with that said, this is something, overtime and without a side by side, I could get used to. All things considered it's really no worse than the eInk of the Kindle 2 visually speaking--and the K2 wasn't bad at all.
Try as I might, I could not duplicate this finding. I did my best to match the size of the fonts and took a good, long look at both screens. After a while they both started looking fuzzy to me..which was a clear sign that I needed to move on!

The page turns were strange. I don't know if thats part of the new refresh system Nook is implementing now or me being a creature of habit.
Definitely different. Because the "flash" during page turns on the nook ST happens every six or so pages it actually makes it more noticeable when it does happen. It actually appears more transparent when it happens at every page turn.

The touch screen, in and of itself, was quick and relativity sensitive. I remember trying the touch Sony a while back and having to actually "press" the screen with some effort to have my movement read by the device, this was not so on the Nook. If Amazon were take the touch technology, I would hope they would liken themselves to Apple. Similar to an iPad or iPhone or Touch, a pressure free, heat sensitive touch.
I too was surprised by the responsiveness of the touch screen. Slightly less responsive than an iPad, but definitely more responsive than the original nook's LCD screen. Additionally the much feared fingerprints and smudges are non existent...although one's mileage may vary if they eat Doritos while reading.

Kindle offers a lot of things, like the web browsing and what not, that B&N doesn't. That's okay. An eReader isn't a netbook or tablet. Most people who own an eReader are the same people who eat technology up with a spoon and probably don't need their Reader to function as anything but. However, if someone does **need** the bells and whistles, the Nook is way to dedicated for them.
As reported there is a "hidden" browser on the nook ST which you will discover if you type a URL into the search box. I checked my gmail last night. It worked about as well as you'd expect an e-ink device to work.

All in all, the new Nook is leaps and bounds better than the older Nook model. It's a great design and the price point is really fair for what the buyer is getting. I can say with certainty that B&N has put themselves back in the competition. I felt that as of late, all B&N was really pumping was the Color...but now they have a real competitor when it comes to the classic. Amazon is going to have to pull out all the stops when releasing the K4 to make themselves, once again, leader of the pack.
With its several year head start and impeccable web site, Kindle will always outsell every other e-reader. I think what Barnes and Noble has done (rightfully so) is to make a product that differentiates itself from the Kindle; and I think they have done this with both the nook ST and the nook color.

When Amazon does respond I suspect that they will follow suit by making improvements to the Kindle brand and not try to emulate other e-readers. I don't envy Amazon right now, because there seems to be quite the divide amongst Kindle owners when it comes to the touch screen issue; and I think it will be difficult to keep both camps happy.

[/quote]

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've been using mine for about a week now.  At first I wasn't sure I liked it, mainly because it wasn't Kindle haha.  But now I am starting to like it more than my beloved Kindle.  EEK.  I think it is the feel of the plastic, the buttons, the touchscreen and generally the way it feels in hand.  I also like switching fonts. 
I like all my ereaders but for now this is the one I am going to play with for a while.  :) 

·
Registered
92 Posts
Right now my biggest concern is finding a case for it. Since the device does feel so comfortable in hand I would hate to take away from that by putting it into a square cover.

I might try to find some sort of slipcase for it...to protect it during transport but to still have that ergonomic feel while I read. I've been told a bubble mailer would be perfect for this purpose...plus I could decorate it myself!  :)

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
Does B&N offer any cases or covers?  Now that you've mentioned it, I don't recall seeing any. . . . .but I haven't been looking too hard. ::)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
dbeman said:
Right now my biggest concern is finding a case for it. Since the device does feel so comfortable in hand I would hate to take away from that by putting it into a square cover.

I might try to find some sort of slipcase for it...to protect it during transport but to still have that ergonomic feel while I read. I've been told a bubble mailer would be perfect for this purpose...plus I could decorate it myself! :)
Slip cases are good--I think they may work better than permanent covers. I have a permanent leather cover and although it's gorgeous, it does make the eReader more awkward to hold than just the plain-Jane device.

·
Registered
951 Posts
So for those of you who have the new Nook can you tell me how searching within a book works?

With the old Nook when you searched for a word or phrase it would only bring up the search results one at a time; this wasn't a big deal if the what you were looking for was at the beginning of the book or only showed up a few times in the book, but really sucked if you were looking for something in the back of the book.

Is it still the same? Or have they switched to something similar to doing a search on the Kindle, where it pulls up a list that you can quickly flip through to find the right spot?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts