Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of trouble keeping up with trilogies and series. Maybe I read too many books, but after awhile I tend to forget about them and never catch up. I also forget so much of the previous books that it usually makes the newer books less entertaining. For the most part if I see a completed series I might buy it, but if it's book 1, I just let it go. I don't know why so many authors now break everything into trilogies. I guess it's a money thing. Why sell one book when you can sell three? I do appreciate authors like Stephen King who write very long books and don't break them up. I know he has had a series or two in the past, but as long as most of his books are, he could do like most others and break them all up. Does anybody know of a way to track and keep up with a series? Usually by the time the next one comes out I've forgotten all about the previous one.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Random House has a page where you can sign up to be notified of new releases from your favorite author. You might check the other big publishers.

BTW, The Lord of the Rings was one big book when it was written. It was the publisher who broke it up into three.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I figure if I forget to go back and look for the new ones, or if I'm just not interested when a new one comes out, it wasn't that great anyway, so I don't feel guilty about ignoring them and moving on to something else. If it's something I really enjoyed, though, I'll either be looking for the new books, or I'll see it later and say, oh yeah, I want to read that and find out what happens next!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
7vn11vn said:
I have a lot of trouble keeping up with trilogies and series. Maybe I read too many books, but after awhile I tend to forget about them and never catch up. I also forget so much of the previous books that it usually makes the newer books less entertaining. For the most part if I see a completed series I might buy it, but if it's book 1, I just let it go. I don't know why so many authors now break everything into trilogies. I guess it's a money thing. Why sell one book when you can sell three? I do appreciate authors like Stephen King who write very long books and don't break them up. I know he has had a series or two in the past, but as long as most of his books are, he could do like most others and break them all up. Does anybody know of a way to track and keep up with a series? Usually by the time the next one comes out I've forgotten all about the previous one.
Stephen King could sell his grocery list broken into parts or sold as one list...

For most authors, stand alones don't sell as well as series. It is partly done to get a complete book out as book one or two, but also because there is a much larger demand for series than stand alone. As for larger tomes, most trad publishers have VERY strict guidelines for new and midlist authors. They vary, but even Baen and TOR who take some of the longer works cap at about 125k. Some of that is due to printing longer books is more expensive--for storage, shipping and print costs. With King, the publishers aren't as worried about getting their cost of investment back. Other authors, well. There are some who can get away with it. Just not a lot of them.

Ficfact.com is a great site for tracking series. Goodreads or shelfari (just entering books in there) can be a great system as well. Both let you take notes on a book (they can be public or not). That will help remind you if and when to check for another book and maybe what the series is about.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for some great suggestions. I might try the collection thing and I'm definitely going to try fictfact. That sounds like what I'm looking for. I didn't know that about LOTR. It must have been a hefty book.  :)

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I love Fictfact. I have currently 151 series I am tracking and I am not even done with the input.  :D. Seems like almost everything I read is a series. I don't mind so much real series. You know the one where each book ends and the next is either in the same world, or other characters that we met in the first one. I read a lot of romance and its subgenres and those are the series I like.

I detest though this breaking up a book into chunks and selling it as series. Especially if its not marked on the description and then it just ends with a cliffhanger. Yikes.

I guess that is what LOTR is then? No clue as I never read it, nor will I.

Fictfact emails me when there is a new one coming out in a series. That way its all in one place, rather than signing up at sever publishers/authors sites.

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
I second FictFact -- or is it third? fourth? anyway . . . . . ::)  I really like it.

You can search for series by main character or author and once you're 'following' it you can mark which ones you've read and see what comes next.  You can also have it send you emails when new books in your series are due out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, this is embarrassing. I went to sign up for FictFact and found out I already had a few weeks ago. I must be losing it. It must be one of those, oh, what do they call those moments?  :D

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Atunah said:
I detest though this breaking up a book into chunks and selling it as series. Especially if its not marked on the description and then it just ends with a cliffhanger. Yikes.

I guess that is what LOTR is then? No clue as I never read it, nor will I.
There are different sorts of series/trilogys. Those like LOTR are long stories cut up into short chunks (personally, I'm not a fan of these) and then there are those where a common family or place links the series together (these I love) The later give a sense of continuity but you dont necessarily have to have read all the preceding books to enjoy them.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'd like to point out that, even though the editor sold Lord of the Rings as a trilogy at first (let not forget that WW2  rationings were still in effect in the UK at the time), by now It has been available as a single book for a very long time.
It's about 1500 pages long as a single tome.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Only recently discovered FictFact - and it is soooo great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.