Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to release my epic fantasy trilogy in a collection and am pondering what the best pricing strategy is. Should it be priced higher than the second and third book combined, but lower than the overall series, to encourage people to buy it instead of the individual books? Or less than the second and third combined so readers who purchase the first book get a deal?
Anyone have an experience they can share?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Part 1 on perma-free. Part 2 and 3 at 1.99 and the collection at 2.99; that's what I'd go for at first. :)

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Depends how much you are charging per book but i would go with (or the relative equivalents)

Book 1 - Free

Book 2 - 1.99

Book 3 - 2.99

Trilogy Bundle - 3.99

If they liked book one they will buy the trilogy instead of 2 and 3 seperately.  You will annoy people who bought book 2 already if the Trilogy is too cheap.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Until a few days ago I had book 1 and 2 of my trilogy both at 2.99, but with the release of book 3 in just over 2 weeks I decided to pull book 1 down to 0.99.

This would make the trilogy: 0.99/2.99/2.99

The trilogy collection will be 5.50 or 5.90, which would effectively make book 1 free when you buy the collection book. This way even if people bought the first book it wouldn't matter much if the buy the trilogy or book 2 and 3 separately.

Though your price bracket is higher. I wouldn't drop the first book to 0.99 but maybe to 2,99, still makes the book significantly cheaper than the other two, without basically giving all your work away for free (all 350+ pages of it). Fantasy books are always in a higher price bracket, comes with the genre and usually because of the size. If you underprice it people will suspect the book to be shorter than it really is.

just my 0.02

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
My trilogy pricing is:

perma-free/$3.99/$3.99

I have the collection priced at $5.99 and it seems to be selling decently at that price point.

I think for epic fantasy, having the collection at $7.99 sounds like a competitive price point.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
This works well for me:

#1 - Perma-free
#2 - $2.99  (So I get the 70%)
#3 - $3.99

Omnibus - $6.79.  Only $0.19 cheaper, but it contains bonus items (drawings, sketches, etc.) that the others don't.

Historically (18 months of analysis), about 20% of the folks who download the free book will purchase #2.  Of those who purchase #2, better than 90% also buy #3.

7,412 Posts
The collection of books should be cheaper than buying them individually. That's really the only hard and fast rule. Perma-free or lower prices or scale them however you wish beyond that, and just adjust the collection accordingly.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You can also add Value to a trilogy. My vampire trilogy is collected in one volume with two additional short stories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts