Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Marci said:
I just tried to download some stuff and came up with an error message. I'm using Safari. Do you know if I can use this browser or will I need to use Firefox?

Thanks for any help,

Marci
Could be a browser error. What error message did you get, and did you try the download more than once?

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,762 Posts
Marci said:
I just tried to download some stuff and came up with an error message. I'm using Safari. Do you know if I can use this browser or will I need to use Firefox?
Wild guess: Assuming you're using Windows, if you try to download a file that Windows doesn't recognize the browser will throw an error. For example if you try to download a Mobipocket *.prc file and don't have the Mobipocket Reader, the OS won't know what it is.

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Marci said:
I just tried to download some stuff and came up with an error message. I'm using Safari. Do you know if I can use this browser or will I need to use Firefox?

Thanks for any help,

Marci
I am running Safari. I downloaded just fine last week and I just tried again with no problem.

If you describe exactly what you did I may be able to help. It is way past my bedtime so I will have to get back to you tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cat616 said:
I am running Safari. I downloaded just fine last week and I just tried again with no problem.

If you describe exactly what you did I may be able to help. It is way past my bedtime so I will have to get back to you tomorrow.
Hi, Jeff & Kat & Betsy -

I can get the following message:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

==========================

Wow, it's really bizarre. I 've just been trying to replicate the above. It shows up when I try to download some free samples or even use the "purchase" button. For every two authors or titles I try and get that message, I'll be successful on tries 5 and 6.

No worries for the moment. I would like to eventually join Baen as I'm a big SciFi fan.

Getting a big headache (not from this, it's been here a while) so I'm signing off.

Thanks for the help!

Marci
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Marci said:
Wow, it's really bizarre. I 've just been trying to replicate the above. It shows up when I try to download some free samples or even use the "purchase" button. For every two authors or titles I try and get that message, I'll be successful on tries 5 and 6.

No worries for the moment. I would like to eventually join Baen as I'm a big SciFi fan.

Getting a big headache (not from this, it's been here a while) so I'm signing off.

Thanks for the help!

Marci
Are you saying that you can eventually download one of the authors you get the message on? Or that when you move to a different author you get the message?

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,913 Posts
Marci said:
I just tried to download some stuff and came up with an error message. I'm using Safari. Do you know if I can use this browser or will I need to use Firefox?
I just tested, it works fine on Safari. Click on the book title so you get to the book's information page, then right-click Mobipocket/Palm/Kindle Format under Download Unzipped Files and choose Download Linked File... or Download Linked File As...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I just tested, it works fine on Safari. Click on the book title so you get to the book's information page, then right-click Mobipocket/Palm/Kindle Format under Download Unzipped Files and choose Download Linked File... or Download Linked File As...
I only have to "click" on the "Mobipocket/Palm/Kindle Format" then a download window opens showing the download in progress. I suppose it depends on what type of mouse you are using. I am using the Apple Mighty Mouse - the wireless one. To tell you the truth I cannot figure how to right click with it. Apple says just a little light pressure will do the trick. How I can I put pressure on the right side of the mouse without applying pressure to the left? This is a rhetorical question - I do not expect an answer.

Now that I think of it, several (very few) of the Free books would not download. I did not get Marci's error message though. I just left them and got the ones that I was interested in that would download.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,762 Posts
Marci said:
Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.
That's a .Net server error. You may not have the .Net framework installed on your computer. The web site should detect that but&#8230;
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
I am running Safari on a Mac.  I have assumed that Marci is too.  Marci what system are you using, Apple or PC?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
I just downloaded a book from the Baen free Library and it worked just fine.  I'm running Safari v3.2.1,  OS10.5.5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Marci,
I double checked on the "Baen's Bar" forums, I can't find any current problems with the servers being reported.  This doesn't mean there aren't any, but like any group there are those who will loudly protest any slowdown of the quest for more books.  If you continue to have problems, use the "contact us" button on the main webscriptions pages, Arnold will get with you very quickly unless the error is the result of a major server meltdown and/or his back has gone out again.  Please remember that he's on eastern time if you are further west, although I think the man never sleeps.
That being said, come join us at Baen's Bar, there's always room to add another barfly!  We even have a permanent AIM chat room, and have a lot of fun together at Cons.

Katiekat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,913 Posts
cat616 said:
Apple says just a little light pressure will do the trick. How I can I put pressure on the right side of the mouse without applying pressure to the left?
I use a mighty mouse as well. Just click on the right side of the mouse, there are two separate switches under the plastic. I keep my forefinger on the left, my middle finger on the right, which I use to right-click.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Just hold down the keyboard's "Control" key and do a normal left mouse button click- voila! the "right click" menu will appear.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top