Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my refurbished kindle today and couldn't register it.  I just called Amazon and they said that unfortunately it was never processed at the reburb facility so there would be no way to register it until they were able to go in and manually do what they needed to do to allow me to register it into the system.  He said it's like driving a car without a license.  If you get pulled over, you get in trouble.  If the system sees me trying to register my unprocessed kindle, it automatically kicks the kindle out of the system.  He said this would take 24 hours to fix and they would call me when I could register...

Oh well, I've waited up to this point...I can wait a little longer  :)  did anyone else have this trouble...and forgive me if this is a repeat post...i didn't find anything like this, but I could have overlooked it,...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should have put this under tips, tricks, and troubleshooting...sorry...feel free to move it if you need to....thanks~!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
This is the first I have heard of this experience, Pawlaw. Thanks for posting. It helps us all learn.

L

G

·
Well all is not totally lost.  You can still go to one of the free online sites and get some stuff to read until they fix you up.  check out the approriate thread.  :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Sounds like your Kindle slipped through the cracks somehow. Frustrating but 24 hours is better than waiting until March to get it. Vampyre has a good idea. That should tide you over. ;)

I think the feedbook catalog would be the easiest for you to start out with. Once you have that downloaded on your Kindle, you can download books directly to you kindle just like you would on Amazon.

http://www.feedbooks.com/

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
sebat said:
Sounds like your Kindle slipped through the cracks somehow. Frustrating but 24 hours is better than waiting until March to get it. Vampyre has a good idea. That should tide you over. ;)

I think the feedbook catalog would be the easiest for you to start out with. Once you have that downloaded on your Kindle, you can download books directly to you kindle just like you would on Amazon.

http://www.feedbooks.com/
Just to clarify, I wouldn't be surprised if the WN doesn't work since it's not registered. I mean, I think anything sent to the Kindle has to go thru Amazon and since they, effectively, don't show your Kindle as existing. . . . . .But, hey, give it a try. I've been known to be wrong. Even so, you should still be able to transfer books via USB.

Good luck,

Ann

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Just to clarify, I wouldn't be surprised if the WN doesn't work since it's not registered. I mean, I think anything sent to the Kindle has to go thru Amazon and since they, effectively, don't show your Kindle as existing. . . . . .But, hey, give it a try. I've been known to be wrong. Even so, you should still be able to transfer books via USB.

Good luck,

Ann
Darn...maybe you are wrong. ;D
I'm probably the wrong one though. :-[

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
sebat said:
Darn...maybe you are wrong. ;D
I'm probably the wrong one though. :-[
If it helps, in this case I'd rather be wrong. . . :D

Still, as I said, I can't think of any reason why the USB method wouldn't work. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Happy to help  :)

Ooooohhh...that's interesting...books for free!  Thanks for the tips...i'm checking out feedbooks right now...

Oh, on the downloading books with the USB issue, the customer service guy (who was profusely apologetic and very nice) did say I wouldn't be able to download anything until they get my kindle into their system.  I didn't understand all the ins and outs, but I believe I will not be able to add anything to my kindle until tomorrow.  But, I will check out feedbooks...maybe I could connect with the USB and download from their site without going through Amazon...oh wait, perhaps that's what you meant...I need to play a little more with it and see what I can do...I'll report back because maybe someone else would benefit from this experience...

thanks again!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
pawlaw said:
Happy to help :)

Ooooohhh...that's interesting...books for free! Thanks for the tips...i'm checking out feedbooks right now...

Oh, on the downloading books with the USB issue, the customer service guy (who was profusely apologetic and very nice) did say I wouldn't be able to download anything until they get my kindle into their system. I didn't understand all the ins and outs, but I believe I will not be able to add anything to my kindle until tomorrow. But, I will check out feedbooks...maybe I could connect with the USB and download from their site without going through Amazon...oh wait, perhaps that's what you meant...I need to play a little more with it and see what I can do...I'll report back because maybe someone else would benefit from this experience...

thanks again!
You at least have a good attitude about it. :)

I would probably be somewhere between crying and screaming...I hate Amazon. ;D

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
pawlaw said:
Happy to help :)

Ooooohhh...that's interesting...books for free! Thanks for the tips...i'm checking out feedbooks right now...

Oh, on the downloading books with the USB issue, the customer service guy (who was profusely apologetic and very nice) did say I wouldn't be able to download anything until they get my kindle into their system. I didn't understand all the ins and outs, but I believe I will not be able to add anything to my kindle until tomorrow. But, I will check out feedbooks...maybe I could connect with the USB and download from their site without going through Amazon...oh wait, perhaps that's what you meant...I need to play a little more with it and see what I can do...I'll report back because maybe someone else would benefit from this experience...

thanks again!
Yeah. . .when they talk about 'downloading' I imagine they're referring to using the Whispernet. I'd definitely try using feedbooks and moving it via USB. And absolutely report back!

You are being very cool about this. . .how many drinks have you had? :D

Ann
(if it's o.k. with you I'm going to ask the admin to move this thread to Tips & Tricks)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I've seen a couple of posts on the Amazon board for this same issue. I don't think they specified refurbished though. Maybe Amazon needs to hire more Kindle people.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool about this....hmmmm...I think it's because, at the beginning of the conversation with the CS guy, I thought he was going to say I would have to send it back.  I just remember in my reading here, I think it was Angela?, that she watched her kindle as it was sent across a couple of states (improperly directed) before it reached her one day before (or was it after) the replacement kindle arrived, one of which she had to send back....whew!  i was so happy when he said he could fix it from his end without me having to visit the PO at this time of year!  Now that I have my kindle in my hands, I'm not giving it up for anything!  I can already tell how cool this thing is!!!!

It floored me when I saw the cool (how do they do that anyway?) silver doohicky on the right go up and down and expand and contract depending on what's on the screen...and the changing of the paper (wow), and the typing, and the searching, reading the manual...i could go on and on...this thing's AMAZING!  I'm never going anywhere without it!  I do not understand how someone could not love this little thing...i've got all school moms in our little group salivating for one!

Oh, and please, do feel free to move this...sorry I posted it in the wrong place...I realized that after posting...ooops.

oh, and yes, feedbooks is going to work using USB connection...yeah!!!!

Oh, and I haven't had anything to drink yet, but I'm popping a bottle of red wine later...celebrating...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so, I've been trying to download some free books to my Kindle from feedbooks.com.  I downloaded mobibooks and the books appear in mobibooks both in my library and when my kindle is connected by the USB, they appear when I click on the kindle device.  so, I think the books are on my kindle, however they do not show up on the menu page or in the content manager.  they just aren't showing up anywhere.  mobibooks occasionally asks me to register my device...a page comes up asking for the PID of the device to register it within mobibooks.  do i have to do this in order for the books to show up on my screen?  what is the PID?  HELP please...

i looked for a thread discussing this, which I thought I had read existed somewhere, but I couldn't find it...

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Pawlaw, so sorry to hear you are having trouble with the kindle, but glad to know they can fix your problem. Seems I do remember back last month or so that someone on the boards had trouble with registering, and Amazon CS was able to fix it within a few hours or so. Hope you are kindling by tomorrow for sure!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
pawlaw said:
so, I've been trying to download some free books to my Kindle from feedbooks.com. I downloaded mobibooks and the books appear in mobibooks both in my library and when my kindle is connected by the USB, they appear when I click on the kindle device. so, I think the books are on my kindle, however they do not show up on the menu page or in the content manager. they just aren't showing up anywhere. mobibooks occasionally asks me to register my device...a page comes up asking for the PID of the device to register it within mobibooks. do i have to do this in order for the books to show up on my screen? what is the PID? HELP please...

i looked for a thread discussing this, which I thought I had read existed somewhere, but I couldn't find it...
Books purchased from mobipocket won't work on your Kindle. They have a different kind of DRM. There is a free reader you can download to your computer (for Windows) which allows you to read mobipocket books on your PC.

I know it's confusing because Amazon owns mobipocket so you would think the books would work, but they don't. It is also confusing because the free software from that same site, mobipocket creator, is what you use to convert files (word, html, pdfs, etc) to the format that you can put on your Kindle.

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The whole mobipocket PID thing is a mess. I spent a few hours the other night trying to get the scripts to work on my iMac to get the PID from my Kindle's serial number, and it was a dismal failure. I, too, downloaded some free mobipocket books, which will not open on my Kindle. I will try at some point attempt to run the scripts on my PC and see if that works better.

pawlaw: even though you don't have the PID, the books should be showing up on your Kindle. Did you put them in the documents folder on the Kindle? That is the only place they can be placed in order to appear on your menu. You still won't be able to open them until you get the PID squared away. However, there are plenty of other sources of free books out there.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
new news - last night, they said my kindle would be fixed within 24 hours...they have approximately 5 hours left until midnight CST to correct the issue so that I can download...as of right now, I still can't register the unit.

on the mobipockets issue - thank you pidgeon92!  I moved the books from my kindle's ebooks folder (I thought that was where they needed to be) to documents and there they were on my kindle's menu.  all of the free books do open.

Leslie - you were right...the one book I purchased through mobibooks does not open...it shows up on the screen but gives me an error message when i try to open it.

Is there any way to convert that one mobibook book to a format that can be read on the kindle?  could i send it to the kindle's email address or something like that and then download it when my kindle is able to access the whispernet?

thank you all SO Much for the help...I have to say that it is such a pleasure to be able to access such kindle-knowledgeable people at all hours!!!  :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
pawlaw said:
Is there any way to convert that one mobibook book to a format that can be read on the kindle? could i send it to the kindle's email address or something like that and then download it when my kindle is able to access the whispernet?
Mobipocket is a format that can be read by the Kindle. It is the DRM getting in the way. You need to get the PID (Personal IDentifier) to your Kindle (based on the Kindle's serial number), then use that when you download the Mobipocket books, or convert subsequently. If I ever get it to work, I will post a tutorial. I have gone through the MobileRead mac tutorial with fine tooth comb, and have been unsuccessful in converting the serial number to a PID.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts