Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend my book, Wounds of the Father: A True Story of Child Abuse, Betrayal, and Redemption, made it onto the bestseller list on Amazon. I want to preface this by saying that I'm not trying to be ungrateful for this. However, the category that it made it to the top in was "Teen Personal Health." I'm wondering how this happened. Not the sales part, the categorization part. You can tell by the title that my book is pretty much the antithesis of teen health.

Has anyone else ever had this happen where their book showed up in a category that seemed like a mismatch? How does this happen and is it something that I did on my end when publishing it? Also, if it is in a mismatched category, is it likely to affect sales in relevant categories?

I know I fired out a series of rapid-fire questions:) This is just my first go-around so I'm trying to wrap my brains around the ins and outs of Amazon.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not sure how Amazon goes about throwing your book into various categories, but personally I think you book isn't too much out of place.

I mean, "Health" is a very general term and "personal health" similarly so. To me - child abuse is very much related to teens and their personal health. Both physical and mental. And it's very often, very personal. Either for dealing with issues in their own life, the lives of their siblings, cousins or simply for gaining perspective into the possible upbringing of others.

As far as I know, your book can and will appear in numerous categories regardless of your input (Though now that David mentioned keywords in his post below - that does seem to make the most sense). I've seen books listed under like a dozen different categories, though obviously the authors themselves can only choose a few. Clearly if Amazon feels your title is suitable they will list it wherever.

I don't think you'll suffer sales loss as long as the book also appears in relevant categories. In the end, it's the total  sales that matter, isn't it? Even if most sales come from people browsing one category, your books rank will still grow in general and boost your status in other categories as-well, doesn't it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I could see how it would fit in general health. It just seems like it would fit in other categories so much better. I'm going to take a look at my key words again. However, I read somewhere on here that when you change your keywords, it affects your rankings- is that true?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts