Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Kathleen Valentine said:
I just read this on another forum. I've never been able to figure how many words make an average page. Anyone have a better/different rule of thumb?
What type of page? A book page or a manuscript page?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
It depends what font and what size font you use. 12 pt courier for instance is much bigger than 12 pt Times New Roman, so TNR will have more words on a page.

It also depends on the style. If it's a lot of dialogue vs. narrative. Dialogue has more white space and will be fewer words generally than narrative.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
375 is a bit high for your run-of-the-mill fiction book.  That's 37 lines of text with 10.5 words per line.  Most books fall in the 28-32 lines per page with 9-10 words per line.

There are some books that cram that many words per page by shrinking margins and font size to reduce page numbers.  But if you can't save like 16 pages, you don't see much of a cost savings.  Most books are printed with 4 sheets of paper folded in half for 8 pages that give you 16 overall printed pages.  Some do less than 4 pages.  That's why you will see page counts from POD companies round up to the nearest factor of four when calculating spine width and page numbers.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
PamelaKelley said:
It depends what font and what size font you use. 12 pt courier for instance is much bigger than 12 pt Times New Roman, so TNR will have more words on a page.

It also depends on the style. If it's a lot of dialogue vs. narrative. Dialogue has more white space and will be fewer words generally than narrative.
This.

I use 11 pt Garamond for my print layout, and I write a lot of dialogue and short one-line paragraphs, so I have a lot more white space than the average author.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Kathleen Valentine said:
I just read this on another forum. I've never been able to figure how many words make an average page. Anyone have a better/different rule of thumb?
375? I suppose some might use that.

My old 1980s-era Writers Digest/Writer's Market books always taught me this:

Printed page average: 350 words/page.

Manuscript page average (which, at that time, meant a Smith-Corona with a Pica 10 typewheel, double-spaced): 250 words/page.

NOTE: Back in the days of electric typewriters, Pica 10 was usually the default typewheel. Elite 12 meant... smaller type, not larger. Exactly opposite of how we think of it today. (The 10 meant "10 characters per inch" while the 12 meant "12 characters per inch." Very different from today's point-sizes.)

Pica 10 is roughly equivalent to 11-point Courier New.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I've always heard 250, but I know mine average around 300.

Margins and page size will also make a difference. I set mine to the print size I'll be using which is a much smaller sheet.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
I've always heard 250, but I know mine average around 300.
250 for manuscript, sure.

For print? Very rare.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had this discussion years ago with the editors at Baen's Books. In short, there are many counts in use, but the two counts that dominate are typesetters' count and editors' count.

Typesetters' count is 250 words to a page. This count assumes 24 or 25 lines to a page.

Editors' count is 375 words to a page. This count is what you find on a typical page of a DTB. It assumes 35 to 36 lines to a page.

I use typesetters' count, because it is easier to figure. 4 pages = 1,000 words.

If it's a rule you want, there ain't one. There are many. Choose the one that makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I asked this question months ago of Amazon (through my representative) because the number of pages listed on my sales page wasn't the number I expected.

I was given the following answer --  

The page numbers displayed onsite are digital page numbers that were calculated using a standard Kindle with .3 font and even spacing. As you may be aware the Kindle allows for reflowable text so a 198 page book could become a 600 page book if viewed with .6 font and maximum margin. The device the customer is reading on also plays a major factor in the page count. A book on my IPad is going to have a lot fewer pages than if I read it on my iPhone.

Clear as watery mud.   ::)

Sheila

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, Amazon "estimates" that my book is 259 pages. It is 95,000 words, almost on the nose, so that's appx. 367ish words per page. Which really means nothing because a customer can set their font size and type, thus varying how many "pages" are in the book. If we're talking manuscript pages, I've always heard 250 words per page.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts