Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the empty double posts. Having trouble posting this morning. Here goes:

This caught my attention in the USA Today review (posted in another thread): it appears that whispernet comes on automatically any time you turn on the Kindle 2. Which means that if you want to save battery power, you need to go into the menu and turn it off every time. That seems backwards to me. Whispernet should be on-demand: OFF until you need it, and then you turn it on.

Then again, the reviewer also said if you took your Kindle on an airplane, you'd have to turn it on just to turn the whispernet off, then turn the Kindle off again. Which makes no sense at all. So maybe he got the basic procedure wrong too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The NY Times article says no button to turn off, you must use the menu.... I think that will be rather annoying to those of you who are used to the button right there on the back.  Maybe they prompt you as soon as you turn it on?  I can't wait to get reviews from all you 1 day ship guys!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Wrong again.

Per the Kindle 2 User's Guide.pdf manual:

"Power switch — puts your Kindle to sleep, wakes it up, and turns your Kindle on or off. To put
your Kindle to sleep, slide and release the power switch; a full screen image appears on the
display. While your Kindle is asleep, other keys and buttons are locked so that you don't
accidentally change the place in your reading. To turn your Kindle off, slide and hold the power
switch for four seconds until the screen goes blank and then release. To wake up or turn on your
Kindle, slide and release the power switch again."

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BruceS said:
Wrong again.

Per the Kindle 2 User's Guide.pdf manual:

"Power switch - puts your Kindle to sleep, wakes it up, and turns your Kindle on or off. To put
your Kindle to sleep, slide and release the power switch; a full screen image appears on the
display. While your Kindle is asleep, other keys and buttons are locked so that you don't
accidentally change the place in your reading. To turn your Kindle off, slide and hold the power
switch for four seconds until the screen goes blank and then release. To wake up or turn on your
Kindle, slide and release the power switch again."
What does it say about the Whispernet? Does it come on when you turn the Kindle on, unless you tell it not to?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Cherie said:
What does it say about the Whispernet? Does it come on when you turn the Kindle on, unless you tell it not to?
It says the Kindle 2 ships with Whispernet turned on. It says nothing about it coming on again every time you turn the K2 on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is what the user guide says about whispernet:

Wireless Access with Whispernet
Using the wireless Amazon Whispernet service, Amazon delivers content to your Kindle
whenever and wherever you want it, within the wireless coverage area, using the same
technology as a cell phone. By default, your Kindle ships with Whispernet already turned on. To
turn Whispernet on or off, press the Menu button, move the 5-way controller up to underline
"Turn Wireless On/Off," and then press the 5-way.

So, apparently, once you turn it off on the menu screen, it stays off until you turn it on again using the menu screen.  So its not always "ON" unless you want it to be.   I can live with that.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I would also prefer the default be "off". I guess once you turn WN off, as long as you only put the Kindle to sleep, when you wake it up WN will still be off??

·
Registered
685 Posts
That is the way I read it.

If it was off when you powered your K2 down, it will remain off when you power the K2 back up.

If it was on, it will remain on.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Now that Amazon does more syncing and keeps track of your last page read (did I get that right?) people might want to leave whispernet on.

They may have made upgrades so whispernet doesn't drain the battery as fast.  We should give it a try before we just assume that we want to turn it off all the time.

·
Registered
455 Posts
k_reader said:
Off topic: Wolf Princess, did you get your shipping notice?
Yes!! Thanks for asking. It came late last night. My Kindle is currently "out for delivery". I may get it today, UPS is not reliable here, but for sure by tomorrow!!! ;D ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts