Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting the first in a new series in the Kindle Scout program. As such, I needed to take an ax to the book description and my bio (both have to be under 500 characters) as well as answer several questions. I'm nervous about how the shortened versions read and whether I've made stupid grammar mistakes. Anybody care to critique?

Book title: A SCRYING SHAME-

Book description:
Following a near death experience, 25-year-old Arie Stiles takes a job nobody else wants: crime scene clean-up tech. After all, death holds no mystery for her.
Or so she thinks.
It isn’t long before Arie discovers a new psychic talent—the ability to scry. Memories call to her through the deads’ spilled blood.
While cleaning the crime scene of a socialite author, Arie is haunted by visions. Can she decipher the clues left in the murdered woman's blood or will the killer find her first?

Char w/sp:  488

One liner:  Death was only the beginning.

BIO: 
Donna White Glaser is the author of two series: the Blood Visions Paranormal Mysteries and the Letty Whittaker 12-Step Mysteries.  In addition to writing, she and her husband own a construction company where it’s Donna’s job to deal with any overly emotional, but-why-can’t-you-put-up-roof-trusses-in-a-thunderstorm clients. Strangely enough, she’s come up with several murder plots during business hours. Currently she is at work on SCRY ME A RIVER, the second book in the Blood Visions series.
  Char. w/ sp:  495

QUESTIONS:
1) What is the inspiration for the story? 
Like many, I’ve always been fascinated by reports about near death experiences. One day I started wondering how a person might be changed after such an event. From there was born the idea of a young woman who comes back from “Over There” with far more than she’d bargained for.

2) What draws you to this genre?
I love humorous mysteries and mysteries with a touch of romance. The juxtaposition of good-evil, love-hate, and humor-suspense make stories come alive for me. Life itself isn’t monotone. It’s rich with contrasts and contradictions, and so (I hope) is my writing.

3) Where can readers find out more about you?
I’m pretty accessible. For folks interested in keeping up with what’s new, I have a Readers’ Group mailing list. The sign up form can be found on my website, www.donnawhiteglaser.com. I use the Readers’ Group to announce new releases or discounts on select books. You’ll also find a complete, sequential list of books in both series as well as an extended bio on the site. For day-to-day contact, I hang out a lot (too much?) on Facebook under my author name, Donna White Glaser, where I love to chat with readers.

·
Administrator
10,102 Posts
This all looks really strong to me, Donna. I'd make a few adjustments at the sentence level, but nothing big:

Following a near-death experience, 25-year-old Arie Stiles takes a job nobody else wants: crime scene clean-up tech. After all, death holds no mystery for her.
Or so she thinks.
It isn't long before Arie discovers a new psychic talent--the ability to scry. Memories call to her through the deads' dead's [because "the dead" is already plural, so it's like "women's issues"] spilled blood.
While cleaning the crime scene of a socialite author [a little unclear ... maybe "the location of a socialite author's murder"?], Arie is haunted by visions. Can she decipher the clues left in the murdered woman's blood, or will the killer find her first?

Donna White Glaser is the author of two series: the Blood Visions Paranormal Mysteries and the Letty Whittaker 12-Step Mysteries. In addition to writing, she and her husband [a dangling modifier, unless you co-write with your husband; how about "she owns a construction company with her husband, it being Donna's job to deal with ...] own a construction company where it's Donna's job to deal with any overly emotional, [no comma here] but-why-can't-you-put-up-roof-trusses-in-a-thunderstorm clients. Strangely enough, she's come up with several murder plots during business hours. Currently she is at work on SCRY ME A RIVER, the second book in the Blood Visions series.
Char. w/ sp: 495

QUESTIONS:
1) What is the inspiration for the story?
Like many, I've always been fascinated by reports about near death experiences. One day I started wondering how a person might be changed after such an event. From there was born the idea of a young woman who comes back from "Over There" with far more than she'd bargained for.

2) What draws you to this genre?
I love humorous mysteries and mysteries with a touch of romance. The juxtaposition of good-evil, love-hate, and humor-suspense [unless you're very pressed for space, I'd lose the hyphens and write these out fully: "good and evil, love and hate, humor and suspense"] makes [I think ... because despite the list of characteristics, the singular "juxtaposition" is actually the subject the verb ... I think] stories come alive for me. Life itself isn't monotone. It's rich with contrasts and contradictions, and so (I hope) is my writing.

3) Where can readers find out more about you?
I'm pretty accessible. For folks interested in keeping up with what's new, I have a Readers' Group mailing list. The sign-up form can be found on my website, www.donnawhiteglaser.com. I use the Readers' Group to announce new releases or discounts on select books. You'll also find a complete, sequential list of books in both series as well as an extended bio on the site. For day-to-day contact, I hang out a lot (too much?) on Facebook under my author name, Donna White Glaser, where I love to chat with readers.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Becca!  I like your tweaks. I may have to keep the hyphenated love-hate, etc because using "and" adds five extra character spaces and there's a limit.

·
Administrator
10,102 Posts
Donna White Glaser said:
Thanks, Becca! I like your tweaks. I may have to keep the hyphenated love-hate, etc because using "and" adds five extra character spaces and there's a limit.
Yeah, I wondered if it was something like that. Good luck! :)

·
Administrator
10,102 Posts
Donna, if you check this thread again ... what made you decide to try Kindle Scout? Do you feel it will broaden all your books' visibility? The program seems like a really cool idea, but the description Amazon offers is a bit cagey about exactly what kind of marketing they'll do for the books.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Becca Mills said:
Donna, if you check this thread again ... what made you decide to try Kindle Scout? Do you feel it will broaden all your books' visibility? The program seems like a really cool idea, but the description Amazon offers is a bit cagey about exactly what kind of marketing they'll do for the books.
I'm curious too as I just looked at Kindle Scout and the biggest thing that popped out was their nabbing of 20% of your royalties in exchange for a $1500 advance.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will C. Brown said:
Good luck, Donna! Keep us updated.
All the winners appear to be doing very well on Amazon. A few are in the top 1000 in the store.
You can find links to the winner's Amazon listing in this PR release: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2019456
I like to experiment. As it stands I have one series that I have completely indie- the Letty Whittaker 12-Step Mysteries. They're doing okay, but not spectacular. In other words, I'm making enough to pay some bills at the end of the month.
So I decided to experiment with the first book in a new series. Since I don't have to contract for the whole series, it gives me a bit of flexibility. And yes, in answer to Julian, there is less royalties for the chance that Amazon will put some push behind it. But hey, Amazon likes to make money, right? :) The odds are not bad. And finally, if (and that's a BIG if) Amazon picks this book up, I can shift my other series out of KU/Select and go wide.
If Amazon doesn't pick this book up, then I've had a month of pre-order promo and can instantly put the new book up in KDP.
It's a gamble but what isn't?

And thank you to all the well wishers! When A Scrying Shame goes live in Scout would it be wrong to post it on Kboards?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for explaining. Sounds like a thought out trade off. If you remember, post again after you've gone through the experience (finger's crossed you get selected :) and let us know. If indeed it does help bring awareness to you off the back of a first book in a series, then yep, that's probably worth the 20%.

And you're right I guess, Amazon aren't doing it for kudos alone. I guess my hesitation is the way they get readers to vote. Though I love watching The Voice over here, I'm quite cynical about 'viewer voting' when it comes to picking artistic output, though obviously that's based on TV talent shows so I shouldn't tar the Select 'audience' with the same brush until I have reason to  :)

·
Administrator
10,102 Posts
Sounds both sensible and promising, Donna -- thanks for explaining. Good luck, and I hope you'll keep us posted on how this goes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts