Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that long ago someone started a thread asking if anyone had tried to turn the page like you would on a DBT while reading on their Kindle. Well...that had not happened to me, but since I got my Kindle I have rarely read any DBT books, until this weekend. I found myself, on more than one occasion, trying to press the next page button, which of course was not there.

Has this happened to anyone else or I am the only goofy one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,047 Posts
I think at one time or another, even though most won't admit it, we have tried that, or tried to scroll or even look in the dictionary  ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
No, never.

When I read my old-fashioned books, my fingers fondle the paper as I get close to the end of that last chapter and anticipation rises as I know I am about to do something wonderful; my eyes then read that last words on the page and with the fingers of my right hand all in tune, I artfully do that glorious action called a 'page turn'. Ah, what satisfaction that brings. I love the feel of paper books.

-sailor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,932 Posts
sailor said:
No, never.

When I read my old-fashioned books, my fingers fondle the paper as I get close to the end of that last chapter and anticipation rises as I know I am about to do something wonderful; my eyes then read that last words on the page and with the fingers of my right hand all in tune, I artfully do that glorious action called a 'page turn'. Ah, what satisfaction that brings. I love the feel of paper books.

-sailor
It's the "in tune" part that I can relate to... maybe it will change, since I've only been reading on my Kindle for a few days, but right now I still find it ever-so-slightly jarring when I get to the end of a page and have that second of waiting time before the next page comes into focus. Somehow that just feels smoother with a paper book, with less interruption in mid-sentence. Is it just me? If everybody experiences that, does the jarring-ness become less noticeable over time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,324 Posts
You can get to where youanticipate the page turn and push the button before you get to the end of the line, and then it flows alittle better. Takes some practice not to do it too early.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
Susan in VA said:
It's the "in tune" part that I can relate to... maybe it will change, since I've only been reading on my Kindle for a few days, but right now I still find it ever-so-slightly jarring when I get to the end of a page and have that second of waiting time before the next page comes into focus. Somehow that just feels smoother with a paper book, with less interruption in mid-sentence. Is it just me? If everybody experiences that, does the jarring-ness become less noticeable over time?
I've had my Kindle since Nov 08 and this 'wait' of having the page turn is still bothersome to me, it hasn't become less noticeable. I do 'next page' a few sentences before I need to, but it is still annoying to me.

-sailor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
The jarring-ness went away after a few days for me.  I don't even notice the page turn anymore!  

I've found myself trying to use the dictionary to look up words on the few DTBs I've read since getting my Kindle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,932 Posts
intinst said:
You can get to where youanticipate the page turn and push the button before you get to the end of the line, and then it flows alittle better. Takes some practice not to do it too early.
I'm trying to do that... it's kind of like turning sheet music for someone else though, timing's tricky at first because you have to anticipate just the right moment. And apparently I haven't had enough practice yet even though I've read more in the past few days than in weeks... and everything else is piling up!

But I still love my K2. I simply cannot believe that I first signed on to KB (a mere three weeks ago) to find out more about the Kindle so that I'd have a better idea of whether I'd keep the one I was being sent or whether I'd just put it on EBay right away. What was I thinking. ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
intinst said:
You can get to where youanticipate the page turn and push the button before you get to the end of the line, and then it flows alittle better. Takes some practice not to do it too early.
This is what I do now too, and I barely notice the page turns now after only a week. It was funny cause at first it seemed so obvious, then as I was reading recently I realized I didn't even notice that I have changed the page at all!! Hopefully you can get a rhythm together that works for you!

Rachel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Just late last night I was very engrossed in a DTB...and two or three times caught myself trying to press the "next page" button.
It's not just you. :)

Lisa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
ErinS said:
I've found myself trying to use the dictionary to look up words on the few DTBs I've read since getting my Kindle.
Me too! ;D

I am doing better on the 'next page' timing since this thread and am working out the kinks.

-sailor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
I have not read a paper book, sent I have had my kindle. I sure that if I pick up a paper book that I mostly find myself trying to click the next page button, only because I have had my kindle 1 and then my kindle2 for over a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
Haven't pressed the the next page button, but I did try to put my bible to sleep by pressing on the bottom corners (K1 owner here)!  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
I'm completely used to the page turning by now except when I read with 6 yr old. She wants to turn the pages and she makes me say BEEP when it's time for her to push the button. It's really hard to get in the flow of a book like that but she really loves it.

Melissa
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Angela said:
Haven't pressed the the next page button, but I did try to put my bible to sleep by pressing on the bottom corners (K1 owner here)! ;D
LOL, Angela!

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
intinst said:
You can get to where youanticipate the page turn and push the button before you get to the end of the line, and then it flows alittle better. Takes some practice not to do it too early.
I try to tend to do same but I have read in one thread that they anticipate the turning of pages in their kindle as if it were a paper back that they are reading. ..... takes some time to get used to it especially when you are used to reading paper backs. And most especially when the story is so engrossing to read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
i'm going out on a limb but i just can't figure out what DTB stands for.  evidently some sort of book. 

i have a tendency to press the turn page button on my K2 at the end of a chapter or sentence instead of at the end of the page.  i handled my original kindle for the first time in a while and ended up pressing the next page or previous page button accidentally numerous times now that i'm so used to the kindle 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,214 Posts
I don't know what the letters in DTB stand for either ___ _______ book. probably.  From the context it's a paper-paged book as compared to ebook.

I have a K1.  Can anyone who has had both K1 and K2 tell me if there is a great deal of difference in the page turning speed between them.  One of Amazon's selling points is that the K2 is faster, but is it very different than K1's?  I also realize that with the K2 it doesn't mistakenly turn a page as much as with the K1 buttons.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top