Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The book was created using pdf's and the maunuscript was uploaded to kindle publisihing.
now i need to add a pdf to the manuscript.
i would of thought that to be a simple task.
yet when i download the manuscript and add the new pdf and reupload it then the formatting is unreadable because margins are shifted from what they were.

so how do I attach a pdf to the manuscript that i download..

even if you can point me to the right forum for help.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
You say "kindle" so I am assuming this is for an eBook? Or is it for the print book? Have you used Kindle Create to build the eBook? Is this a simple fiction text format or is it a complicated nonfiction textbook with images and bar charts etc?

There isn't enough information in your post to offer advice. One thing I don't understand is what you mean by "now I need to add a PDF to the manuscript." ?

If you have downloaded the eBook, then it wont be in PDF format, so I can't see how you can add a PDF file to that downloaded file, unless you add it to the original file you prepared to upload and then reupload that original edited file. Regardless, more info would help.

PDFs are notorious for disadvantages creating odd formatting when converted to eBooks, such as strange symbols or loss of indents as per the information in one of the links below., For one thing much of the information might be embedded whereas eBooks are not fixed format.

How to convert a PDF file for your Kindle

This YouTube video might help.

Reactions: loriann

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yes, by far the best and safest way to upload an ebook file to KDP is the good old .doc or .docx file. Never any formatting problems, touch wood.

Because in order to create a PDF file, you do need to create a doc file first, no?

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
You don't use a pdf for an e-book, only for the print version. You also don't add anything to the downloaded file; you add it to the original manuscript then upload it again, using the edit option on your bookshelf. I would HAVE thought that if you uploaded a pdf for an e book originally, it would have been a mess when you reviewed it.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
You don't use a pdf for an e-book, only for the print version. You also don't add anything to the downloaded file; you add it to the original manuscript then upload it again, using the edit option on your bookshelf. I would HAVE thought that if you uploaded a pdf for an e book originally, it would have been a mess when you reviewed it.
It's true for the majority of us fiction writers do not use PDFs to take full advantage of the fluid format to be easily read on all devices. For example nonfixed format enables the reader to change the font type and the size of the font. But you can build an ebook using PDFs via Kindle Create if you require a fixed format, or just upload a PDF to Amazon KDP, Google , etc, for conversion, especially for nonfiction text books with bar charts and graphs etc. Indents are usually lost, so it's best to format with block text, which most textbooks use anyway for nonfiction. Not sure if you can achieve the same effect by embedding text in a Word Doc to make it fixed? You embed text for print books in Word before converting to PDFs but not for ebooks when you upload the Word doc..

As an example of the need for a fixed layout, you could have an image of say a bar chart that wraps text around it to the left or to the right that you want to retain exactly as is on the page which would be lost if the text size was increased or decreased when reading on a device. Or say the placement would change on different devices due to the size of the screen.

As you and I say, it is the original doc you created to make the PDF that you would edit. Besides that, if the downloaded file has DRM allocated (digital rights management) it will prevent alterations to the proprietary file that you download.

At least that's my understanding. Please put me right if anything I have said is not correct.

You can read any PDF on a kindle device by sending it to your Amazon account e-mail address and it will convert it to read on a kindle, but as you say, some formatting will be lost.

Edit: It is possible the OP is talking about preparing his book/e-book via Kindle Kids' Creator, which as far as I know you can upload multiple PDF files to create the book which is for mainly illustrated e-books up to 650MB. With that software you can't upload Word docs. You have to first covert them to PDFs to upload them to the Kids' book creator. If that is so, maybe the OP will have to rebuild the book from that software to add additional PDFs, or JPG, PNG, TIFF, and BPPs for illustrations .

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Like the others here have said, there is not enough information for the rest of us to go on. PDFs, as far as I am aware, are used to put together paperback book on Amazon (and possibly other providers). For an eBook all you need to upload is a doc, or docx.

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
372 Posts
Like the others here have said, there is not enough information for the rest of us to go on. PDFs, as far as I am aware, are used to put together paperback book on Amazon (and possibly other providers). For an eBook all you need to upload is a doc, or docx.
Or a mobi or epub, which is what I use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You say "kindle" so I am assuming this is for an eBook? Or is it for the print book? Have you used Kindle Create to build the eBook? Is this a simple fiction text format or is it a complicated nonfiction textbook with images and bar charts etc?

There isn't enough information in your post to offer advice. One thing I don't understand is what you mean by "now I need to add a PDF to the manuscript." ?

If you have downloaded the eBook, then it wont be in PDF format, so I can't see how you can add a PDF file to that downloaded file, unless you add it to the original file you prepared to upload and then reupload that original edited file. Regardless, more info would help.

PDFs are notorious for disadvantages creating odd formatting when converted to eBooks, such as strange symbols or loss of indents as per the information in one of the links below., For one thing much of the information might be embedded whereas eBooks are not fixed format.

How to convert a PDF file for your Kindle

This YouTube video might help.

well for books that are only containing scanned .pdf copies of court documents etc. then it was possible to upload that online at kindle publishing.

yes you were right that i would add a pdf file to the original manuscript that was uploaded before.... then reupload that

i don't want explanations how to do that the other ways.

i have the strange problem that when i reupload the updated pdf manuscript to kindle publishing "the margins get messed up' and make the pdf unreadable.

yet the first time i uploaded the pdf manuscript it had good margins and everything was readable.

so i really need advice of a PDF editor that can create pdf's with the right margins to upload at the kindle direct publishing online website.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts