Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have several questions in trying to get my first book published and was hoping to get some KBoard assistance if anyone doesn't mind chiming in.

First let me start with Section 3 of the KDP "Step 1, Your Book"

It asks me to select TWO (2) categories and gives me the following choices under the Fiction > Fantasy tab:

Fantasy
General
Collections & Anthologies
Contemporary
Dark Fantasy
Epic
Historical
Paranormal
Urban

HOWEVER, in the actual Amazon Store the following categories are listed:

Kindle Store
Kindle eBooks
Science Fiction & Fantasy
Fantasy
Alternative History
Anthologies & Short Stories
Arthurian
Christian Fantasy
Classics
Coming of Age
Dark Fantasy
Epic
Fairy Tales
Historical
LGBT
Metaphysical & Visionary
Myths & Legends
New Adult & College
Paranormal & Urban
Superhero
Sword & Sorcery
TV, Movie, Video Game Adaptations

I am interested in "Coming of Age" and "Sword and Sorcery" for my two categories so what gives? The "Juvenile Fiction" section doesn't have what I am looking for either. Any one have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Second I tried to resurrect an older thread on the royalty option rate where on "Step 2, Rights and Pricing" it shows Amazon.com at 35% despite being enrolled in the Select Program and pricing the book at $2.99. I think it may give 70% for US purchases but it's not intuitive for a first timer like me to be told my estimated royalty will be 35% while every other Amazon.whatever below it is showing my book at the 70% rate. I just need to know if I can click on OK for this section.

* Update: I think Darcy answered this by saying there are two lines in the Amazon.com USA store and I was only seeing the 35% line. Feel free to confirm this if it is indeed the case.

Thirdly I was looking for something on formatting for the actual interior using the following:

Text size
Font type
TOC (if any)
Line spacing

Mainly just for the body of the EBOOK as I am pretty sure I can change size and type on my own kindle. The Createspace formatting is not an issue despite seeming to be somewhat harder. I'm looking for what is the default that everyone uses to upload the ebook especially regarding the items I listed above.

I think I got everything else covered. I'm just pulling some of my hair out trying to work out these smaller details and at the rate I'm pulling I'll look like Sever pretty soon 8)

Thanks in advance!
SM

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hi Salvador, I'll try and answer your questions if I can. Question 1: some categories you can only get into by using certain keywords in the keyword section. I know Sword and Sorcery is one, I'm not sure about "coming of age"- I think I've seen other folks have trouble with that one before, but maybe someone else who knows will jump in. Here is a helpful list of categories and keywords in sci fi/fantasy that kdp put up: https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A2G3ZMYDPB9VRM

question 2: the 35 percent thing on the amazon.com store even though you are priced above 2.99 and selected 70 percent: some countries don't have their own store (I forget which ones now- I think Ireland was one?? there was a list somewhere) so they shop at the .com store (the U.S. store) but their sales will only get you 35%. You will get 70 percent from any U.S. shopper.

question 3: I'm not sure which programs you are using for uploading your book, but you probably don't want to mess with text or font size, the beauty of ebooks is people can change those to what's comfortable to them. On the other stuff- it really depends what you are uploading. Scrivener makes their own TOC, or if you are using a .doc you can make an html one, I think calibre makes their own now too, but I can't remember.

Does that help? Good luck on your launch!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Yes thanks for part of it.  I am using WORD and my default was Times New Roman at 12 point.  Do I just upload the ebook in that format or should it be changed?

Thanks!
SM

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
It doesn't matter what font your Word file is. When it's converted to MOBI, the it will be set up so that the person reading can choose from a selection of fonts on their ereader.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Salvador,

The key thing is that you use a default style in Word. In the US version, there's a default style called "normal". Make sure you set the font, paragraph formatting, etc., in that.

Set your chapter heading using the "Heading 1" style and then you can have Word generate a TOC (under References). Amazon will recognize that.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I got mine into the coming of age category by having "fantasy" and "coming of age" as keywords.

But for Witches & Wizards they keywords didn't work and I had to write to them to ask to be put in the category.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
CN_Crawford said:
I got mine into the coming of age category by having "fantasy" and "coming of age" as keywords.

But for Witches & Wizards they keywords didn't work and I had to write to them to ask to be put in the category.
Same here. Just make sure to use the keywords "sword and sorcery" :)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it! :D

Default and keywords.

I'll give it a go tomorrow evening and see if it works on the previewer as it is suppose to.  I was probably trying too hard though I did have a heading 1 and used it for the TOC.

I'll report back and see if it clears up my mess hehe, like I posted somewhere else, the writing is the easy part!

Thanks to everyone for the help!
SM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts