Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I have been looking for this story for years now.

I remember reading it around 5th or 6th grade (mid-70's) I think it was in a collection of short stories with a silver embossed paperback cover. I borrowed from the school library.

The story was something about a guy (reporter) who had to stay in a room in a haunted house overnight and broadcast the whole time. He ended up going insane or something I think.

This may have been the first story in the collection.

I just remember enjoying the whole book and checking it out several times. But I can't remember anything else.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Dwayne

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Sorry, couldn't find the book but this may be the movie adaptation:

Luther Heggs (Don Knotts) is a newspaper typesetter who dreams of being a full-fledged reporter. To help newspaper sales, Luther is assigned to spend the night in the old abandoned Simmons house, on the 20th anniversary of the night when Mr. and Mrs. Simmons were murdered. Everything goes well until Luther sees the old organ begin to play by itself at midnight. His story makes him a town hero until a nephew of the Simmons, accusses him on making the whole story up. They all go back to the Simmons House at midnight to find out the truth.

;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Jeff said:
Sorry, couldn't find the book but this may be the movie adaptation:

Luther Heggs (Don Knotts) is a newspaper typesetter who dreams of being a full-fledged reporter. To help newspaper sales, Luther is assigned to spend the night in the old abandoned Simmons house, on the 20th anniversary of the night when Mr. and Mrs. Simmons were murdered. Everything goes well until Luther sees the old organ begin to play by itself at midnight. His story makes him a town hero until a nephew of the Simmons, accusses him on making the whole story up. They all go back to the Simmons House at midnight to find out the truth.

;D
That was my first thought when I read the original post. :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, no that's not it - the story I remember was very very creepy. Don Knotts it wasn't. But thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Alfred Hitchcock did a series of two or three collections of scary stories for kids.  Could it have been one of them?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no i've checked them

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Just sent an email to my friend who's a children's librarian...  with luck she'll know.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Susan in VA said:
Just sent an email to my friend who's a children's librarian... with luck she'll know.
thanks susan! did a silverburg do any ghost stories? that rings a bell for some reason.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There was a radio drama done on the old "Suspense" show about a cynical reporter who was dared to spend the night in a haunted house, and, um, would have regretted it if the ending allowed that.  Alas, I can't remember the title or author but I have several thousand of those shows around on MP3.  I will taka a look and post what I can find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but this sounds like a short Tales from the Crypt story called Televsion Terror with Morton Downey Jr. He plays a sleezy talk show host who broadcasts live from in a haunted house, making fun of it, and well, it ends badly for him. They may have taken it from the story you are remembering.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Boy, do I remember this story.  One of the creepiest ever.  It stuck with me through the years - well, everything but the title and author.  I'm emailing my sister now because it was a shivery favorite of hers, too.  I'm hoping her memory might be better than mine for the title.  Will let you know.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I keep thinking I know it, too -- but it might just be such an archetypal thing that it seems familiar.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Michelle, I think the reason why you feel like you "know" the story is because it seems to be a very pervasive theme. I mean, look at these posts. This plotline apparently has appeared in every form possible. A Tales from the Crypt episode, a short story for children, a comedic movie, a radio show.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See I thought Robert Silverburg might be the author too, but his work seems to be predominantly sci-fi.

The Tales from the Crypt episode is very similar. But IMDB doesn't show it to be based on a short story.

I may have stories confused, but did it have a ghost in it that could only be seen during the day? and not at night?

I'm glad someone else remembers it maybe, it was super eerie and I always liked it. I seem to remember it to be like a trade paperback size and silver embossed cover.

And I don't know if it was specifically a 'children's story' I just know I got it at my school library around 5th or 6th grade.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
TheAutomaton said:
Michelle, I think the reason why you feel like you "know" the story is because it seems to be a very pervasive theme. I mean, look at these posts. This plotline apparently has appeared in every form possible. A Tales from the Crypt episode, a short story for children, a comedic movie, a radio show.
Yes, that's what I meant by archetypal. :)

It's now such a part of the collective mind that it feels like we've seen the movie, read the story, heard the urban legend...

It's Hill House, Hell House, Tales from The Crypt, X-Files, Room 1408, something from an episode of Hitchcock, part of an anthology...

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
It sounds familiar to me as well, I'm gonna keep looking for this one because it's been stuck in my mind.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts