Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a discussion (over on the dark side) about a Random House boycott due to their automatice removal of TTS.  When it was first mentioned, I was surprised by how many 'houses' were under RH, but didn't really seriously think about it.

After thinking about it as well as trying out TTS on my 20 minute daily commute (instead of podcasts).  I think I understand why some folks want to boycott and I am going to put my $ where my mouth is this time and give up some books that I would have purchased.  I think I will also do a boycott tweet once a day and perhaps blog weekly with a random list of books to boycott.
Has anyone else joined that boycott?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rasputina said:
I haven't heard anything about it. Who is under the random house umbrella?
Its not nice.....I've had to remove the Del Rey and Bantam books off my wish and purchase lists :(

The Crown Publishing Group - Broadway | Crown | Crown Business | Crown Forum | Clarkson Potter | Doubleday Business | Doubleday Religion | Harmony | Potter Craft | Potter Style | Three Rivers Press | Shaye Areheart Books | Waterbrook Multnomah

Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group - Alfred A. Knopf | Anchor Books | Doubleday | Everyman's Library | Nan A. Talese |Pantheon Books | Schocken Books | Vintage
The Monacelli Press

Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine Books | Bantam Dell | Del Rey | Del Rey / Lucas Books | The Dial Press | Fawcett | Ivy Books | The Modern Library | One World | Random House Trade Group |Random House Trade Paperbacks | Reader's Circle | Spectra | Spiegel & Grau | Strivers Row Books | Villard Books | Wellspring

Random House Children's Books - [email protected] (RH Children's Books) | Golden Books

RH Information Group - Fodor's Travel | Living Language | Prima Games | Princeton Review | RH Puzzles & Games | RH Reference Publishing | Sylvan Learning

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Is it being disclosed on the affected book's Kindle page that the TTS has been disabled?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forster said:
Is it being disclosed on the affected book's Kindle page that the TTS has been disabled?
Yes it is
Rasputina said:
I guess we could go to any Random House published book in the kindle store and look? Maybe I'll do that.
All of the RH books I had on my wish list note that TTS is disabled.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Jesslyn said:
Yes it is
All of the RH books I had on my wish list note that TTS is disabled.
Could you point me where to look for the TSS disabled note? I must be blind, I can't see it on the product details on the kindle store books and I looked up one I own published by Crown. But I only have a K1 right now so I can't test.

ok nevermind I see it up by the picture of the book on the website. Blech! I think I'm going to write them a note about this.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The thing that gets me is that honestly with the computer voice they use the Kindle  TTS feature is not a substitute for audiobooks. I actually have a couple Random House books I bought on K that I already had in hardback ( how I first read them) and on audiobook. The readers on audiobooks generally bring something to the reading that is not replicated by the computer voice. Sure it's great for having part of the book read to you when need your eyes elsewhere but I wouldn't read a whole book with it and it wouldn't stop me from buying the audiobook. All they are doing is pissing me off for not letting use something that is an occasional convenience.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I honestly fail to see what TTS supposedly takes away from RH??

What reason they would even have for wanting it disabled on it's books??

edited to add: I don't even use TTS and yet it irks me that RH has taken this stance.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Rasputina said:
All they are doing is pissing me off for not letting use something that is an occasional convenience.
^ Pretty much.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Rasputina said:
The thing that gets me is that honestly with the computer voice they use the Kindle TTS feature is not a substitute for audiobooks. I actually have a couple Random House books I bought on K that I already had in hardback ( how I first read them) and on audiobook. The readers on audiobooks generally bring something to the reading that is not replicated by the computer voice. Sure it's great for having part of the book read to you when need your eyes elsewhere but I wouldn't read a whole book with it and it wouldn't stop me from buying the audiobook. All they are doing is pissing me off for not letting use something that is an occasional convenience.
I quite agree. There's a time for audiobooks and a time for TTS. Personally I would never bother with an audiobook and if there were no TTS ever, I'd still choose reading versus listening.

However, there are times when I love using TTS - halfway through a chapter and I have to make dinner (blah!) or when I am driving, for example. I could never listen to the whole book that way, and often I have to re-read anyway because some of it is a bit "off" but I love having the option of it.

BIG BOO to Random House!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sugar said:

edited to add: I don't even use TTS and yet it irks me that RH has taken this stance.
I believe it started from the Author's Guild, who claimed it infringes on audio copyright. There are a bunch of articles online about it, most complaining about the Authors Guild in the same way I am!

So, Amazon caved and said ok, it can be optional, and I assume RH have jumped on that option from a sales POV. That thinking is flawed IMO because it only affects sales Kindlers used to buy both the reading material AND the audio version. I doubt that's the case for most books. I can see people doing it for their true favorites reads, but that's about it. So ultimately I can't see how it affects audiobook sales at all.

I'd hate to boycott RH because a lot of my favorite authors are under that umbrella too. Maybe though if their Kindle sales dried up they might reconsider.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Sugar said:

I think their rationale is that people won't buy the audio book. Of course I think that is a flawed hypothesis.

·
Registered
96 Posts
...there's always buying the MSReader (.lit) version from fictionwise.com and then breaking the DRM to turn it into a .mobi (.prc).

·
Super Moderator
67,295 Posts
unrequited said:
...there's always buying the MSReader (.lit) version from fictionwise.com and then breaking the DRM to turn it into a .mobi (.prc).
but that would be wrong. . .so we won't do that or tell anyone else how to do it here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
but that would be wrong. . .so we won't do that or tell anyone else how to do it here.
That's why I kept it vague. But DRM breaking isn't wrong, it's just not condoned (by the vendors, by the mods here, whatever) which are two separate distinctions completely.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
unrequited said:
That's why I kept it vague. But DRM breaking isn't wrong, it's just not condoned (by the vendors, by the mods here, whatever) which are two separate distinctions completely.
Of course it not wrong. DRM is wrong.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
While I don't listen to TTS, I also find it troublesome to have it disabled as well.

Will publishers against TTS begin banning teachers from reading to children aloud? Goodness knows that means one less audio book bought.

Have those who are so against TTS even listened to it? It absolutely doesn't capture what can be so wonderful about audio books. If I buy an audio book (which I admit is rare) I do it for who is reading it. My thoughts on TTS are strictly for convenience. I feel that is how most people operate (using it for convenience, or perhaps when their eyes just need a rest).

Even though I don't use it, I like having the option of using it. This is one of those things that I'll probably boycott not because I use it but because I disagree with their action.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts