Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The past couple of weeks I've been using the leather Kindle 2 flip case from Tuff-Luv (available from Amazon in black or pink for $39.99). This well-built case is truly unique, with a built-in stand that folds out like an easel to hold the Kindle in upright position.

On KindleBoards we have had a couple of excellent reviews of this Tuff-Luv cover (here and here), and I've been looking forward to trying this cover out for myself.

While I usually prefer to hold my Kindle while reading, I found it a convenience to use the stand while reading at the dining room table with my morning coffee. It's a well-designed feature that adds little to the bulk of the cover.

The cover gives open access to all buttons and the keyboard, as well as the volume control, headphone jack, and USB cable.

The inside material is a soft satin-like material.

The Kindle slides in with satisfying precision. It's not too tight of a squeeze, but makes for a secure, snug fit for the Kindle.

Below, I'm holding the cover upside down and shaking it - the Kindle won't slip out on its own.

The Tuff-Luv stitching is even and tight throughout. This feels like a very well-made cover.

On the backside, holes are punched above the Kindle's speakers. There may be a slight muffling of sound as a result, but it's not a significant concern even if you're a regular user of Kindle's Text-To-Speech or music-playing abilities.

When not in use, the stand folds in and snaps in place.

Here's a look at the packaging. It's a simple box, but I would label it gift-worthy.

I didn't expect to love this cover - because I typically favor a book-style cover. And, because my wife makes wisecracks every time she sees me with my pink cover. But this one is really well-made and well-designed, and I'd definitely recommend it. (And it is available in black, too.)

Amazon link: Tuff-Luv leather Kindle 2 flip case

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
egh34 said:
harvey: Is there plastic covering the screen that is connected to the cover?
No, it is an opening in the leather so there is no screen covering built into the cover. (Tuff-Luv does make a screen protector, called the Transparent Topcoat.)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Great photos.  Looks so nice I think I might just have to buy the Kindle 2 so I have a reason to order the cover.  Harvey,  are you an enabler?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I was afraid this cover would be like my cover for my Ipod and be too tight.  My Ipod goes into the cover fine, but I can't always line up the holes properly to plug in the Itrip.  Thanks for all of the detailed pics.  My mom would love that cover.
deb

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Harvey said:
No, it is an opening in the leather so there is no screen covering built into the cover. (Tuff-Luv does make a screen protector, called the Transparent Topcoat.)
Thanks Harvey. I think I would like it better than having plactic there. I am thinking about getting the new Octo. And now, possible this one also. I really kinda like it...decisions, decisions!!!!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
my kindle will definitely fall out if held upside down. So I am guessing they all fit a little differently? That is my only real complaint about this cover. Harvey, does your Kindle have a skin (maybe that is the difference)? 

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, no skin on my Kindle - interesting that yours is such a loose fit. Would you have to shake it out or would it just slide out on its own if held upside down?

·
Registered
194 Posts
nice review Harvey.  something i just discovered about this case is there is a pocket on the flip cover.  the opening is a slit on the inside of the cover near the bottom which allows you to slip something like a sheet of paper, business card etc. into it but as far as extracting it, that might be a problem if it slides in too far.  i slid in a thin 4.5 x 6 inch Plexiglas sheet into the pocket which stiffens the cover to minimizes the chance of accidentally pressing on the cover too hard which is how i broke my KK screen.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Kindlezen, I like that plexiglass idea and may do that. Also I just came up with a ridiculously easy fix for the loose fit of my cover. I folded a piece of plain typing paper into thirds and then in half and slid it into the case behind my Kindle. I know have a snug fit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the book-style cover.  When I put my K2 in the cover it was in really good.  When I took it out to try another cover and put it back into the Tuff-Luv it freely moves in and out.

Now, I have to be careful when I pick it up and travel with it.  Something I didn't want to worry about.

AJ

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Harvey said:

I didn't expect to love this cover - because I typically favor a book-style cover. And, because my wife makes wisecracks every time she sees me with my pink cover. But this one is really well-made and well-designed, and I'd definitely recommend it. (And it is available in black, too.)

Amazon link: Tuff-Luv leather Kindle 2 flip case
Just wondering WHY you chose PINK ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ Hey, it's a statement that I'm comfortable with my masculinity. :D

This case was sent to me by Tuff-Luv, along with a book cover. So I'm trying them both out!

If I'd had a color choice, I more likely would have gone with black.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kindle zen said:
nice review Harvey. something i just discovered about this case is there is a pocket on the flip cover. the opening is a slit on the inside of the cover near the bottom which allows you to slip something like a sheet of paper, business card etc. into it but as far as extracting it, that might be a problem if it slides in too far. i slid in a thin 4.5 x 6 inch Plexiglas sheet into the pocket which stiffens the cover to minimizes the chance of accidentally pressing on the cover too hard which is how i broke my KK screen.
That slit in the inside cover had completely escaped my attention. Thanks for pointing it out!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Harvey said:
^ Hey, it's a statement that I'm comfortable with my masculinity. :D

This case was sent to me by Tuff-Luv, along with a book cover. So I'm trying them both out!

If I'd had a color choice, I more likely would have gone with black.
Yes it IS... my husband and his father both get all sorts of pink shirts as gifts, they BOTH love to wear pink. In fact my Dad even wore pink shirts, before they were considered ok by most (he passed in 1986) So I think it is cooool 8).... just wondering if it was a joke or something maybe your children gave you and you felt obligated to use... as most dad's would.
;)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Looks durable, let us know in a few months how it is still doing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts