Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see what everyone likes to listen to while Kindling.  I've found that I prefer to listen to classical or some new age just because there are no lyrics to distract me from the words I'm reading!

B

·
0 Posts
I can't read and listen to music at the same time.  Because I don't purposely choose to listen to music that I don't know and love.  And if I love the music, I get distracted by it. 

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I don't use the Kindle for music, I put on XM Radio through DirecTV when I'm at home or the iPod through speakers at work when reading during lunch. Right now, I'm listening to holiday music; otherwise, it's usually 80s classic rock. NFL football games on Sunday, and Monday night. But it usually doesn't really matter, 'cause once I start reading, I get into the book and don't really hear what's playing or on TV anyway...

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I normally don't listen to music when reading. Those are the 2 things that are most relaxing to me and I usually do one or the other. I have read with classical or Kenny G in the past. My hubby is a music fanatic so when we are on trips, I have to use ear plugs. He likes the volume high enough that the vehicle is rocking & we have had several friendly disagreements about this  ;)
Linda

·
Registered
195 Posts
I nearly always have my iPod going when I'm reading. I prefer to listen to music that either doesn't have distracting lyrics, or that has no lyrics at all. I'm a big fan of Brazilian, Latin, and -- believe it or not -- Arabic pop music (Amr Diab, Nawal al-Zoughbi, etc). The great thing about the foreign music is that I don't understand the lyrics, so I don't get distracted while I'm reading.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I either listen to progressive rock (Dream Theater, Yes, Transatlantic, Rush, Old Genesis, etc) or Celtic Music (The Cheiftains, Stone Cross) or the sounds of people banging around in my apartment building.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
When I'm at home, my favorite is to turn on the tv to the music channel 'soundscapes'.  It's mostly light jazz / instrumental and is the perfect background to reading.  The fiance got me hooked on it. 

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
When I read, I read.  As to music, I don't really listen, I play.  (I have been known to put on Christmas carols when it's time for cookie baking, but that's just setting the mood.)

I'll frequently have a book (or Kindle) at choir practice to read while the director is working with other singers or instrumentalists.

Also, I can watch TV while reading:  commercial comes on, I read; show comes back, I put down the book.  Drives hubby crazy:  he wants to flip during commercials but when he does he never gets back to the right show before it's re-started.  Actually, that was pre-TiVo: I don't read during commercials any more.  ;)

Ann

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
you don't want to get me started on this.
Micheal buble
My Chemical Romance
Evanascence
Flyleaf
Andrea Bocelli
Fall Out Boy
Jack Johnson
AFI
Andrew webber's Phantom of the Opera
Across the Universe Soundtrack
Bon Jovi
Carpenters
Cascada
Meg&Dia
Corrine Bailey Rae
Nickelback
Various Disney soundtracks
Final Fantasy Piano collections
The GooGoo Dolls
Green day
Good Charolotte
No Doubt and Gwen Stafani
and a lot more. I change the songs depending on the feel of the scene of the book. I have certain songs specifically for certain books and manga I read. I never get to making a playlist

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Vegas_Asian I love Andrea Bocelli, have you ever listed to Il Divo? They are awesome!
Linda
Yesssss!! LOVE Mark Mothersbaugh!

·
Registered
157 Posts
this might be a little strange but I like listening to my various rock-a-bye baby soundtracks here are the ones i usually listen too: bear with me I am playing with the link maker :)

They are all pretty awesome, very strange soft lullaby versions of the bands... The Cure and the Beatles albums are great when I am reading something lighthearted... the Nine Inch Nails and Tool ones however is fairly creepy goes well with reading horror novels

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Also, I can watch TV while reading: commercial comes on, I read; show comes back, I put down the book. Drives hubby crazy: he wants to flip during commercials but when he does he never gets back to the right show before it's re-started. Actually, that was pre-TiVo: I don't read during commercials any more. ;)

Ann
I did that too, pre-DVR, and my husband also drives me nuts surfing during commercials because he doesn't get back in time...are we married to the same man? ;D

B

1 - 16 of 16 Posts