Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a bunch of places that people just put their kindles to sleep when not in use instead of turning them off.  Is there some reason that this is better, or is it ok that I just turn Grace off when I don't need her?

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I got Kirby back in October, I did all the research and read everything I could to help me get to know him.  This was one issue I looked into and the majority indicated that it was really better to just him into sleep mode as opposed to turning him off.  To tell you the truth, I don't remember all the reasons why but at the time, I was able to make an intelligent decision and don't ever turn him off.  Everytime I lay him down, however, I put him into sleep mode (just made it a habit) and it works really well for me.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The Kindle only uses power to change the page, so turning off vs. sleep is the same in terms of power consumption. I just leave mine on all the time and put it in sleep mode.

Essentially there is no difference between the two. It's a matter of what you're used to. I leave my computer on all the time, too.

L

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
A Kindle Tech Support person told me that putting to sleep was fine.  No power used.  I do not turn mine off and I also do not turn my computer off often.  Perhaps once a week to get rid of all of the garbage it is remembering.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
marianner said:
Some people think it may actually take more power for the Kindle to boot up when you turn it on than to just put it to sleep. I don't think turning your Kindle off will hurt it, per se, just possibly use a bit more power.
I think I'll try just putting Gertie K to sleep and see if I have to charge her more often. I've been turning her off when not in use.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I usually just put mine to sleep also. I may only turn it off once every couple of weeks if I know I won't have time to read it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
See!  I've learned something else. 

I really would like to take a moment to tell you all how happy I am such a helpful, friendly place exists for when I make a screwed up move on my Kindle ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Two things-

The Kindle will go to sleep automatically if you forget to do it.
Every time you turn your Kindle off you are going to have to turn it on again; that's two unnecessary operations of the mechanical switch which can wear out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just set the Kindle down and it goes into sleep mode after a few minutes. I don't normally bother putting it into sleep mode.

Occassionally, I'll turn it off. Other owners have reported that it helps with speed to turn it off every now and then.

G

·
I've read most of the stuff here and elsewhere and I leave mine in sleep mode.  I have had mine less than 24 hours and it's not been off yet and it seems fine so far. 

I have used Whispernet brieflly a few times but turned it off when done.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Leaving Whispernet off when not in use is a good idea because it uses a lot of power when on.

I also think an occasional turn off and on of the main power is a good idea but I usually do a "soft reset" , Alt-R, to do it.

It's bad for the type of battery in the Kindle (lithium polymer) to completely discharge so I only let mine drop to 50% or a little lower before recharging.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I only turn whispernet on every couple of days to download any samples or book purchases.

I do not turn off the power, only put Kwinn to sleep. I was just letting her go to sleep on her own, but it creeps me out if I pick her up and Oscar Wilde is staring back at me!!  :eek:  So, to avoid surprises...  ;D  Putting her to sleep also prevents me from paging forward or backward by mistake when putting Kwinn down.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well, when my wee wittle one gets sweepy, I rwock him to sweep in my arms, swinging wittle wullibies...

Nah, I just either give him the instant mommy knock out of Alt-Font, or I let him drift off to lala land on his own (takes about 10 min).

I will probably flip the power switch to "OFF" about once per month, and plug him in for a charge, and leave it there for a good 4 to 6 hours. Just so he can get a good solid down/charge time. I am new to this, as I've only had the little guy for about 2 weeks now, so mybe I'll discover later that he actually needs more down time.

Although, the one time I accidently pushed the on/off switch from on to off (I was trying to turn off the Whispernet and ever so fumble-y flipped the wrong switch), it took what seemed like forever for the device to find its way back to awakeness. And, it did appear that it lost a good quarter of battery charge in the process.

cush said:
It's bad for the type of battery in the Kindle (lithium polymer) to completely discharge so I only let mine drop to 50% or a little lower before recharging.
Thank you cush for pointing out this extremely important point! I've also heard similar advice several other places before. It is also why just as soon as that battery indicator shows a half charge left, I put the device to sleep and plug it in for a recharge. I've heard some very unfortunate stories of how the device malfunctioned (and sometimes beyond repair and out of warranty!) when the battery charge got too low. And I for one do not want to risk it.

So far, if I use whispernet just 3-5 minutes per day (just to download samples/books I ordered from my computer) and just read for a solid 4 to 8 hours a day, my Kindle can go about 4 days before hitting the Half-a-Battery-Charge-Left point. It then takes about an hour to charge back up to full power. I am quite pleased with these results.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.