Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Amazon leather cover for my K2, but I wanted to customize it a bit. So I came up with a tutorial to sew a removable fabric cover for it. Caveat: I am NOT much of a seamstress, and maybe there are easier ways to do some of this, but this is what worked best for me!

You will need:
• 1 piece of fabric, 18½ inches by 9 ¾ inches (a fat quarter is perfect for this!)
• 1 piece of midweight fusible interfacing, 17¼ inches by 8½ inches
• Any embellishments you want, like ribbon, appliqués, etc.
• Pins
• Iron
• Sewing machine and needle and thread (to match fabric and embellishments)

If you're using any embellishments, first determine where you want them. To do this, fold the cloth in half (so the two short ends meet), and then fold under about 3 inches of the top side (that will be the flap, so you won't want it messing up your idea of where things should go, because it won't be showing.) Pin embellishments in place and sew on. If you're using a heavy ribbon, leave about ¼ inch between the end of the ribbon and the raw edge of the fabric, so the seam allowance isn't too bulky. NOTE: IF YOU'RE USING SOMETHING THAT COULD MELT WHEN IRONED, DO THIS STEP AFTER THE NEXT ONE.

Now, take your interfacing and center it on the wrong side of your fabric (the fusible side, with the dots, should be facing the fabric). There should be 5/8 inch showing on all sides. Make sure it's even! Fuse according to manufacturer's instructions.

Fold over all seams ¼ inch (toward the interfacing) and press. Fold over another 3/8 inch and pin (the top of the fold should be right against the interfacing).

Sew a ¼ inch seam through the middle of the fold. Press again.

Now, fold the two flaps in 2½ inches on each side, so that the right sides of the fabric are together.

Set your Kindle on top to make sure that the back of the cover will be the right size; you don't want more than about 1/8 inch extra fabric on each side. If you have more or less than that, vary the width of your flaps till things are right. Pin in place.

Hand-sew edges of flaps to edge of back piece with a whipstitch, using very tiny, even stitches, and staying as close to the edge of your fabric as possible.

Turn inside-out and press. (You may need to use a point turner, chopstick or other pointy object to poke out the corners.)

Here's the inside:

And the outside:

Insert your Kindle. Voila!

View of inside (with Kindle):

View of outside (with Kindle, closed):

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add that I had some other ideas, if anyone wants to try this ...

* Add a strap to the spine end.
* Add a closure to the open end -- you could use a button, a snap or a charm with elastic (like the Oberon covers do).
* Add another stripe of fabric along the spine (or extending an inch or two past it on each side).
* Use a sheer fabric to overlay your main fabric.
* Add a decorative panel of fabric or a piece of embroidery to the front.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Nice job! I used to love to sew, and then my sewing room became a repository for all things without a "home." Am hoping to get it cleaned out so that I can sew things for my home again.  I need to make a bag for my Kindle so that my beautiful Oberon cover won't get scuffed in my purse.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Cindy!

I love the Oberons, but I'm hard on stuff (and I have two little boys, to boot ...), so I am holding off on one for now. This seemed like a good compromise :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Wow, great job on this!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Egh, I'd be more than happy to make one for you. I have to warn you that my sewing isn't going to win any Project Runway awards, but I think it's passable :)

I have NO idea what a fair price would be! I guess it would depend on the fabric and embellishments you wanted. If you PM me, we can talk some more!

(You know, I thought about making these and selling them on Etsy, but I wasn't sure how much market there would be for a cover for a cover!)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Looks great! Very nice and great tut! I can't sew AT ALL but it even looks simple enough, except I might sew my fingers together when I try this! lol

Thanks for sharing this!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Wow that looks cool.I might have to try it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts