Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have watched episode one of Castle and Californication this morning, without even knowing the main characters were writers.
I'm finding them totally enjoyable! Are there other TV shows or movies with writers that you would recommend me?
Or maybe books? I imagine there are a lot more of those.

One movie I've seen recently with a writer is indie film The Dead Inside, which is great, with monsters, a haunting and and songs!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
I have watched episode one of Castle and Californication this morning, without even knowing the main characters were writers.
I'm finding them totally enjoyable!
What I truly dislike about the author portrayals in those series (Great shows otherwise! Enjoyed them.) is, that the writer always makes fiction straight from their own lives, where it could as well be an autobiography. Seems to be the most common thing they do in TV/movies. Annoys me to no end.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I love "Castle." "Richard Castle" also writes real novels (no one is sure who the ghostwriter is) that have actually hit the New York Times bestseller list. They are in fact closely based on what happens in "Castle" even though the names are changed.  You won't want to read them till you get further into the series, as they likely constitute spoilers. :)

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
I'm not a fan of Castle, for a number of reasons (although I do sometimes watch reruns).  The only other show I can think of that features a writer is "Murder, She Wrote"....   such a top-notch classic--and an accurate portrayal of a writer's life, too!   :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
I watched a couple of episodes of 'Californication' until the utter shallow empty-headedness of both the supposed writer as well as the lifestyle surrounding him, got too much.

If that's the best life that script-writers can imagine writers leading, then its not very appealing - unless one is perhaps twelve years old with too many hormones. I'm sure LA is filled with bed-hopping writers, but its hardly intellectually stimulating.

If you want to see a genuine glimpse TV-wise, of a writer's imagination and life in action, look around for a copy of Dennis Potter's classic miniseries 'The Singing Detective.' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singing_Detective
/2 cents worth

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rachel Schurig said:
This thread is shockingly devoid of pictures of Nathan Fillion.

You're right! ;D ;D ;D
My favourite Fillion is Captain Hammer, by the way!

Thanks all for the suggestions, keep them coming! :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
There've been tv shows or movies with writers as main characters, but for obvious reasons they don't focus a lot on the writer as writer (Act 1, Scene 1 -- Dashiell Hemingway in his office, at his desk, staring at his typewriter/keyboard/notepad; occasionally he smacks himself in the forehead; repeat for one hour.)

Murder, She Wrote comes to mind.  Some of the mini-series or movies based on Stephen King's work (Bag of Bones, Misery, Desperation...Misery in particular).  The main characters (except for Mary Tyler Moore) in the old Dick Van Dyke show were writers for a television variety show.  A number of Twilight Zone episodes (and if you have Netflix or access to DVDs of the original series, check out an episode called "A World of His Own" with Keenan Wynn as a playwright who can bring his characters to life -- a delightful, and funny, episode written by Richard Matheson).

A few more movies and books: A Fine Madness, with Sean Connery and Joanne Woodward, from Elliott Baker's novel.  Donald Westlake's thriller The Hook (think Strangers on a Train meets the book business), and his comic novel Adios, Scheherezade.  Barry Malzberg & Bill Pronzini's sf novel Prose Bowl (hack pulp writing as spectator sport), and Malzberg's Herovit's World.  Two by William Goldman: The Color of Light, & Boys and Girls Together.

More later if they come to mind...

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
OMG, don't forget Out Of Africa, which won 7 Oscars. It's set in Kenya and based on the famous book of the same title. Stars Meryl Streep as the Danish writer Isak Dinesen  (aka Baroness Blixen) and the young, golden Robert Redford as her lover, Denis Finch-Hatton. One of my favorite movies—grand romance, gorgeous African settings, beautiful clothes, brilliant recreation of a vanished way of life and drama on an epic scale. What's not to like?

PLUS it actually shows her writing!!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Here's a great movie: Delirious with John Candy. It was made in 1991, and has clever twists of plot as well as the humor we expect in a John Candy movie.

I think you'd love it, Nathalie.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
*scribbling down all the suggestions for the next procrastination round*  ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
653 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
I'm finding them totally enjoyable! Are there other TV shows or movies with writers that you would recommend me?
Or maybe books? I imagine there are a lot more of those.

One movie I've seen recently with a writer is indie film The Dead Inside, which is great, with monsters, a haunting and and songs!

The Dead Inside is amazing, as is all of Travis Betz's work!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AgnesWebb said:
The Dead Inside is amazing, as is all of Travis Betz's work!
I love, love, LOVE The Dead Inside. It has everything I ever wanted in a movie: a writer, zombies, supernatural elements and SONGS!
Plus, Fi and Wes are just amazing.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
Are there other TV shows or movies with writers that you would recommend me?
Agent Timothy McGee on NCIS moonlights as a mystery writer named Thom Gemcity (an anagram of his real name) and his characters are basically all her friends/coworkers. There was even an episode where the murder the real agent had to solve was when one of his fans started acting out the plots from McGee's books. It was pretty clever, actually.

But for the most part, him being an author is just a very minor subplot that doesn't get mentioned in most episodes (or if it does, it's just a throwaway reference). His real job is being an NCIS agent...who writes in his spare time. If I recall correctly, his character has supposedly hit the NY Times bestsellers list.

Apparently he'd been writing for years before any of his friends found out.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts