Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see this on MSNBC?

LOS ANGELES - Stephen King’s opinion may drive a stake through the heart of “Twilight” author Stephenie Meyer.

In an interview with USA Weekend, the bestselling author compared Meyer with J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series.

According to Stephen, “Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people… The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.”

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ouch! Although I agree with him fully :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
LOL. I think just about every teen girl has already read all of them so I think he's a little late with his opinion. Though unlike JK Rowling, Meyers may not have very many teenage boys reading it but then again not all books are read by both genders.

and in my humble Opinion, I couldn't stand reading Steven King, he board me to death and left no room for my imagination. I have to say I do like the Movies that were made from the books. But he was over descriptive for my tastes.  

I've only read the 1st book of Twilight so far and it kept my attention. I rarely read a series straight through. I usually take a detour through other books then go back.  Guess I'm just so used to having to wait for the next one to come out that now I just make my elf wait even if it is already out  ;D :eek: (which drives my mom and sister batty as they always want to discuss them and I haven't gotten there yet  ::)).

theresam

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know a lot of people who love the Twilight series (I thought it was just oK). So she certainly did something right.

And any Author that can draw kids to reading gets a thumbs up from me

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Wow, what an asshole.

I like Stephen King, but he has no right to openly denigrate another author's work like that.

It's unprofessional, tacky, and just plain wrong.

G

·
CS said:
Wow, what an asshole.

I like Stephen King, but he has no right to openly denigrate another author's work like that.

It's unprofessional, tacky, and just plain wrong.
I don't understand this. It's ok for me to publicly say that some author is a hack here or in some review, but it's not ok for Stephen King to do so? Because he is an author? ???

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
I don't understand this. It's ok for me to publicly say that some author is a hack here or in some review, but it's not ok for Stephen King to do so? Because he is an author? ???
Well you don't say it on MSNBC. I don't think so anyway lol. I thought it was a little mean.

Melissa

·
Registered
114 Posts
professional courtesy comes into play I think.  

Yes he's allowed his opinion but to say something like that in an interview was unprofessional.  I know plenty of people that think he's the hack.  Over the years his books have lost what they had back when he was writing things like Misery and The Green Mile.  

G

·
nickih75 said:

Yes he's allowed his opinion but to say something like that in an interview was unprofessional. I know plenty of people that think he's the hack. Over the years his books have lost what they had back when he was writing things like Misery and The Green Mile.
People (including both critics and other authors) have been calling King a hack for 25+ years. The NYT seemed to have it in for him for over a decade. So what?

I'm sure that the situation is that it was a much longer interview, and as the "King of Horror," King was asked to weigh in on the popularity of the Twilight series. He gave his honest opinion, as both an avid reader and a writer. What should he have done? Lie? Evade the question?

I'll take honesty and integrity over phony "niceness" any day and twice on Sunday.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Exactly. Like some else posted, it's about professional courtesy.

I don't care if the whole world has called King a hack for 25 years. That doesn't give him the right to bash another author in public.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
You would be surprise about how many boys like Twilight when I went to high school then moved on to the dorm. Of course, I found a certain personality trend with those boys

G

·
nickih75 said:

Yes he's allowed his opinion but to say something like that in an interview was unprofessional.
Why shouldn't Stephen King express his opinion? After all, he does get paid to write professional book reviews. It is a side gig for him. He writes for Entertainment Weekly as well as other review publications.

I respect his opinion, but do not read a book solely based on what he has to say. As a paid author with a major publishing house, I would think that Stephanie Meyer understands that not everyone will love her books. Her books have been out long enough that I doubt that King is causing her to lose any sells.

G

·
Darling; Are you postulating that when a professional, paid critic (who happens to be an author) is asked his opinion of a book or author... knowing that what he says will influence his readers and that his credibility as a critic will be called into question.... that the "right" thing to do is to be honest rather than to be "polite?"

·
Registered
124 Posts
I read all four Twilight books but I certainly did not read them for their literary technique:  I agree with Stephen King - the writing is abysmal in all four Twilight books.

What I find more disturbing (and have heard of happening more often than makes me comfortable, even to writer friends of mine) is when celebrated authors write glowing recommendations to be placed on the backs of books - books that aren't very good.  Then later I notice that the writers share an agent, or editor, and THAT was what influenced their kind (but undeserved) words.

Just my $.02

MALIBAMA

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Malibama said:
What I find more disturbing (and have heard of happening more often than makes me comfortable, even to writer friends of mine) is when celebrated authors write glowing recommendations to be placed on the backs of books - books that aren't very good.
I agree. I don't pay any attention to the blurbs on the covers.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
People (including both critics and other authors) have been calling King a hack for 25+ years. The NYT seemed to have it in for him for over a decade. So what?

I'm sure that the situation is that it was a much longer interview, and as the "King of Horror," King was asked to weigh in on the popularity of the Twilight series. He gave his honest opinion, as both an avid reader and a writer. What should he have done? Lie? Evade the question?

I'll take honesty and integrity over phony "niceness" any day and twice on Sunday.
I have to agree with BJ on this...

King has every right, and even a responsibility, to give his actual opionion of the books instead of having to sugar-coat it...

1 - 20 of 92 Posts