Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lake Elmo Library Announces East Metro Writer's Room to Open February 11

Writers looking for a quiet space, free coffee, craft conversation, and inspiration are invited to Lake Elmo Public Library on Monday mornings from 8:30 to noon starting February11th.

Membership is free and open to any writer seeking motivation and heads-down drafting time in the writing room. The East Metro Writing Room will cater to writers who need and crave structure and serious BIC (butt-in-chair) time to motivate, inspire and move projects forward.

In addition to the writing room, where "silent, contagious motivation triumphs over blocked brainwaves", there is a "procrastination station" for coffee breaks and lively chat with other authors. A smaller breakout room is available for discussion on topics ranging from passive voice to marketing kindle books.

Lake Elmo Library is located at 3537 Lake Elmo Avenue, Lake Elmo and online at http://lakeelmopubliclibrary.org

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 15-20 minute drive from St. Paul, an area with half a million people.  Stillwater, just seven minutes up the road, is a large arts and writing community, and home to more than a handful of famous writers.

I know it's hard to believe but there's an interstate exit (Manning Ave), metro bus service, cell phone coverage, and internet access in "middle of nowhere" Lake Elmo. There's an airport too, so you can fly in . . . and we have free limo service (with hot chocolate) from the airport to the writer's room.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bad. Lake Elmo has 3 interstate exits. County Road 19 exit (best way to get to the regional park), and Radio Drive (County 13)  also land you in Lake Elmo.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Lake Elmo is a lovely place, and home to the Lake Elmo Inn, which is a very, very nice restaurant.

It's also a long danged way from Maple Grove, which is where I am...but maybe some morning when I feel up for a drive. At least it's against traffic.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Hi Anna. I may stop by sometime. I don't have a problem with making myself write, though, at least usually. Mornings are when I do a lot of it.  I wish you would join our group sometime, we'd love to have you!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
RobertJCrane said:
Lake Elmo is a lovely place, and home to the Lake Elmo Inn, which is a very, very nice restaurant.

It's also a long danged way from Maple Grove, which is where I am...but maybe some morning when I feel up for a drive. At least it's against traffic.
*Waves hello from Plymouth* :)

Yes- that sounds lovely, but I don't make it to that side of the cities that often. I do try to take advantage of the Loft when I can though. It's always nice to see how much is available to writers here in the Twin Cities. We're pretty cool. ;D

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Caddy, I'll try to make it to your group sometime! 

Meg, what is BFE? (I read it as Big Frozen Excellence)

Thanks for all the supportive comments. Yes, thousands of writers in Minnesota!

·
Registered
817 Posts
cegesmith said:
*Waves hello from Plymouth* :)

Yes- that sounds lovely, but I don't make it to that side of the cities that often. I do try to take advantage of the Loft when I can though. It's always nice to see how much is available to writers here in the Twin Cities. We're pretty cool. ;D
I'm so close to Plymouth I could throw a rock and hit it from my front yard. Literally. Also Corcoran and Medina.

*stares blankly* What's the Loft? Never heard of it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
RobertJCrane said:
I'm so close to Plymouth I could throw a rock and hit it from my front yard. Literally. Also Corcoran and Medina.

*stares blankly* What's the Loft? Never heard of it.
We are probably neighbors. I am right in that corner of the Plymouth/Maple Grove world as well. ;D

Oh- Anna posted the link to the Loft's site. It's in downtown Minneapolis and where I've taken pretty much all of my writing classes over the years.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
MegSilver said:
Bum-f*[Betsy loves me]ck Egypt. An uncouth equivalent of boonies, though my neighbor refers to it as ten miles east of East Jesus. In a thick Swede accent, don'cha know.
Ya! You betcha! My community is a nine hour drive from BFE, but hey, we provide Minnesota with electricity and the nation with oil. You're welcome. ;D

This inspires me to check into starting a writer's room at our local library.

Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Janet, if you start a writer's room please let me know how it goes.

I'm thinking of hanging a poster in the room, with names and stars for every ten thousand words completed. I used to get stars on a board for laps I swam at the YMCA, and it was somewhat motivational. Are stars enough? My husband thought it would be appropriate to have a traveling award, like a golden typewriter, to give when someone finishes a book. I'm looking for ideas here . . .

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I like the typewriter idea. Another idea is to make certificates on the computer and have the other members of the group sign at the bottom. A person could even get a document frame at the dollar store to make it official. It would be a nice boost on days when you need encouragement.

Other ideas, anyone?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts