Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twitter is rolling out a program where the quality of your tweets will be ranked. It will depend on the number of your followers, and how many time you are retweeted.

I'm not sure if they are going to charge followers to make their tweets visible to all their followers or not, but they plan on selling some access to high quality tweeps.

http://www.mashable.com/2013/02/14/twitter-judge-value-tweets/

What do you think?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not a fan. It just leads people to ask for RT's and seeking shares, which if you ask me, defeats the purpose of good quality messages. It becomes a popularity contest. Just think about all the silly campaigns on Facebook that have no real point other than to get 1 million likes or 500,000 shares, etc.

It will make building a following harder, that is for sure.

Matthew

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Facebook is becoming useless. Because of excessive newsfeed, most people don't even read the posts anymore. They seem to look at the pictures more often, but now it's not safe to post pictures anymore.

Twitter--what's the point? It's not a worthwhile source of information in most circumstances.

I now have a Google+ account and am trying to figure out how to keep it from being polluted like Facebook.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
As someone who's used Twitter for a LONG time, not for selling, but for chatting with friends this is dire news. It basically means that my feed will fill with RT's and shares, instead of the conversational tweets that I actually want to see.  :mad:

I expect there'll be a new social network arising soon...it seems as soon as one becomes too large, overbearing and stricken with rules, something new pops up. We'll have to keep our eyes open..

·
Registered
613 Posts
As far as I understand, this is NOT for direct "chat" or your everyday news, your TLs will keep the exact same traffic.
The "new" filter settings will be usable by "streaming" interfaces API (for programmers) who want to extract content from Twitter for reuse.

For example it returns prefiltered data for people who want to "skim"  what's happening with a specific hashtag (TV Show for example).
Not sure in that context you're interested in non-english tweets.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't believe Twitter should be used for marketing anyway, the way it's used these days. What's the last book you bought because you saw it spammed in your feed several times a day? If you didn't buy that book, why would anyone buy yours? I'd sooner unfollow that person than click that link, but I'm nice, so for now I just ignore the spam.

Twitter is part of the "be visible" strategy. You have pages on Twitter and Facebook and a blog so people who like your books can find you and keep up with you. People aren't likely to read your books because of those pages. Focus on reviews, interviews, pricing and free promotions (making sure you promote on free sites in those periods), and having multiple works available.

Use Twitter to interact with authors, and to be available if a reader wants to contact you. Do your best to respond. At least @mentions to you shouldn't be hidden. And if Twitter does disappear, no real loss. Just be available, be contactable, and be down to earth.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Ryan, I've sold books through twitter although (I assume) the tweets are more a reminder to someone who'd seen it elsewhere. 

I do unfollow spammers.  If someone's feed is all 'buy my book...' then they aren't adding any value.  If it's an occasional tweet then it doesn't worry me.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
So, what is the next big thing then?

G+ is not going to be it, G+ is much more about creating connections with people with similar interests.
Twitter & FB are more about broadcasting things, G+ is a community website.

So, what do I need to sign up for now?

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I have hope for G+

I have a huge group of writers to draw on for support (not for advertising) and several massive circles of people interested in science and science fiction (to whom to gently market my book)

Simply, I joined as many circles as I could. As soon as someone posts something idiotic, in a language I don't understand, blatant spam, I just drop them from my circle. I get awesome content and, despite thousands of people in my circles, am not seeing a lot of spam.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Lummox JR said:
Isn't ranking the relative quality of a tweet like serving as a judge in the worldwide turd polishing quarterfinals? Isn't paying for tweets just like buying the prizewinning entry?

I welcome this change, if only because it will hasten the collapse of the medium.
Me, too. Just another reason to justify my hatred of Twitter and to NOT USE IT.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Very interesting indeed. I think using twitter and enjoying twitter are both the result of lots of experimentation to see what works for you. I definitely can tell a difference in my book sales when I'm not actively involved with twitter, but that's not to say those sales come from my tweets to my list. It's mostly from the visibility that happens when someone else tweets something about you. (at least that's what I think based upon my experience) When your followers list begins to grow you have typically stumbled upon a mixture of content and promotional that is working for you.

At the beginning of this year I began to think of my twitter as a "channel" I put content on my "channel" that I think my followers and target market for my books will enjoy...it's like a magnet to attract the followers you want. Then I put the occassional promo throughout the day sort of like the commercials they show on tv. Having more content than commercials is a very difficult concept to grasp but will make all the difference in how you grow your exposure on Twitter. I'm learning....

·
Registered
997 Posts
kathrynoh said:
If someone's feed is all 'buy my book...' then they aren't adding any value. If it's an occasional tweet then it doesn't worry me.
Any allowance made for someone in the middle or a free run? I hardly ever post about my books, but I will quite often during my next free run.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't use a personal Facebook account anymore.  I've considered getting a business one.  Twitter is already getting annoying, but if it becomes a contest like the Likes, to get retweets, then I'm afraid it would just be a constant stream of sameness. 

Right now I see that I get vistors to my site from Twitter, so it's currently useful to me. 

I have downloaded books that I've seen advertising a free period on  Twitter.  But, I am likely not the average reader. 

·
Registered
888 Posts
It seems like whenever a service starts implementing some kind of rating/self-moderation system, people start trying to game it. I feel as though a lot of social media sites would work better if they got rid of all their ranking systems and just let people use them to, y'know, talk with one another.
I guess metrics are handy for making money from things, though.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I so rarely use Twitter or Facebook that sometimes I forget I have accounts on either.  When I receive an email that someone has followed on Twitter, I generally sign in and follow back, maybe leave a tweet here and there.  Outside of Goodreads and KB, most of my social networking is non-book related.  I belong to a philosophy forum that I visit frequently to see what discussions are up.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just when I thought this world couldn't get any more insane, now you can be dead an carry on tweeting anyway.  No I'm not making this up.
It's called the "Ghost Writer" App. 

1 - 20 of 22 Posts